1912 Hudson spark plugs

On Hemmings there is '12 Hudson for sale.  A photo of the engine shows spark plugs with out wires.  I don't understand that.  It seems it is easier to simply carry along spare spark plugs instead of having a complicate cylinder head with spare/unused plugs screwed in.  Unless this is a straight 8 with small cylinders, and with 4 of them unused.  ?

1912 Hudson engine.png

If this is a 1912 Hudson engine, those could in fact be the spark plugs that triggered the acetylene explosions within the cylinders, which started the engine.  The "Disco" self-starting system was used only in 1912, by Hudson.  Several other marques used acetylene starting systems (which were made by several companies) during that period as well.  Soon thereafter, the electric starter came along, relegating the ineffectual and dangerous acetylene starting system to the dustbin of history.

OK, my thank you to both dl456 and Jon37.  I never knew about acetylene starting until now.  The only Hudson product I have owned was a barn find 1935 Terraplane four-door sedan.

Thanks again.