Some of the best money you will spend

Marksan

This ignition module, or something like it, there are many options.

l have 'a few' classic bikes and fit a module like this to every one when available.

This was not a hard install , and the car started instantly and i mean instantly after fitting this and it was -5 last night + it hadnt run in a good week. lt also starts right up hot now, which took some 'finessing' before.

Cheers

P_20210331_143943.jpg

P_20210331_141821.jpg

I have the old style that had the plate that you had to put in. Bought the car 5 years ago, and it was in there then. No issues whatsoever, other than the hot wire came off the coil this past November and grounded itself out, but that had nothing to do with the performance of the Pertronix. I believe in them.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, telriv said:

Do a search on Pertronic problems & MOST will understand why MANY of us DON'T promote them.

Thank you for the assumption that I didn't do or am not capable of doing research. I  am and did, I concluded that the vast majority of failures where most likely due to incorrect installation, coupled with the male difficulty in admitting error.

For what it's worth capitalizing words does not make them factual, it just makes it look like it was written by a 8yr old.

Edited by Marksan (see edit history)

I've had Pertronix conversions in all my old cars for decades never a problem. On the other hand over the years I was stranded by

bad points and condensor several times....once had to sleep in my GTO overnight by the side of the road due to

bad points and condensor that were 1 week old.  the one thing to remember with Pertronix is never turn the key

on without starting  the engine.

• Like 2

You may not be aware I have been an auto tech for more than 60+ years & over this many years this has been mine & others opinions/problems. And, it's just that, another opinion.

I haven't assumed anything on your part as I don't know you from Adam. You have installed & been using the product, it sounds like, for many years & have not had any problems. Good for you.

I have been wrong many times throughout the years & I'm more than willing to admit it. Nobody has died & left me God.

Tom T.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, telriv said:

You may not be aware I have been an auto tech for more than 60+ years & over this many years this has been mine & others opinions/problems. And, it's just that, another opinion.

I haven't assumed anything on your part as I don't know you from Adam. You have installed & been using the product, it sounds like, for many years & have not had any problems. Good for you.

I have been wrong many times throughout the years & I'm more than willing to admit it. Nobody has died & left me God.

Tom T.

60yrs....I've been chasing women longer than that, however, it does not mean I'm any good at it.

Back peddling is all well and good. You need to go back and read your post, because that's exactly what you did say " do a search "

Edited by Marksan (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, HarryLime said:

Seafoam65 , What is the result of that move ?

Leaving the key on with the engine off can destroy the Pertronix unit resulting in no spark i.e. you get stranded.

Last weekend I found out I had been driving my 65  Riviera with a stuck voltage regulator and a charging system

putting out 18 volts and boiling acid out of the battery. The Pertronix did not fry out on me which I find to be amazing. 

So on a somewhat related note, does anybody have any pros/cons on MSD's  Ready-to-run distributors?  I'm running 2 of them with no issues in my SBC's.  I was thinking of just putting in a pertronix unit in the '71 Pontiac 400 i'm working on.  Is there real value in putting in pertronix in a 50 year old distributor with 96,000 miles?  Is the smarter money to spend a little more and have an all new MSD electronic distributor?

Check that both the vacuum advance and centrifugal advance do what they should, and that the internal ground wire (a special flexible wire with strands of copper and spring steel) that grounds the breaker plate to the distributor housing is present and not broken.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

In my repair shop I've seen a lot of MSD ignition systems have problems and lose spark when they are almost new and have only a few thousand miles on them. In my experience, I wouldn't trust an MSD ignition to get me to the county line. I've got one in my shop right now on a 40 Ford Pickup street rod that is dead with 3,000 miles on it. Also, most Auto Supplies have a Pertronix on the shelf but take at least 24 hours or longer to come up with an MSD part.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Didn't nascar used to have 2 MSD systems in each car so they could  flip a switch to finish a race? If you need 2 I don't think they are very reliable. 

Kevin 

21 hours ago, Marksan said:

60yrs....I've been chasing women longer than that, however, it does not mean I'm any good at it.

Back peddling is all well and good. You need to go back and read your post, because that's exactly what you did say " do a search "

Marksan:  Before somebody else does, let me give you a small piece of advice.  When first coming onto a site full of long time members, you might want to read a book titled "How to Win Friends and Influence People" before you start dissing long time members.  Especially those who are expert in the subject the site focuses on.  

If all of your 13 posts are similar to a couple of the ones here, you will not fit well with this crowd and you may wish to simply disappear before a moderator does it for you.

Zimm 

Edited by Zimm63 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Leaving the key on with the engine off can destroy the Pertronix unit resulting in no spark i.e. you get stranded.

Last weekend I found out I had been driving my 65  Riviera with a stuck voltage regulator and a charging system

putting out 18 volts and boiling acid out of the battery. The Pertronix did not fry out on me which I find to be amazing. 

I had the Pertronix in both of my classics and they are great.  I also had the ignition coil.  I did burn one out in my 66 Impala and that was a lesson learned.  Did it while troubleshooting radio issues.

I believe the future generations of Pertronix added some circuitry to protect against that from happening.

I believe in the product but I am too young to know anything about points ignitions.

Chris

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

In my repair shop I've seen a lot of MSD ignition systems have problems and lose spark when they are almost new and have only a few thousand miles on them. In my experience, I wouldn't trust an MSD ignition to get me to the county line. I've got one in my shop right now on a 40 Ford Pickup street rod that is dead with 3,000 miles on it. Also, most Auto Supplies have a Pertronix on the shelf but take at least 24 hours or longer to come up with an MSD part.

Do you see the problems more in their ignition boxes or in their distributors?

Usually the module in the distributor.  For safety sake carry an extra in the glovebox. I've had them bad right out of the box. Same with the complete distributors. 

After spending so many $$$$ you start to wonder about quality now that they are mostly being made in China. 

Didn't used to be that way & it WAS a quality product way back when.

My two cent worth.  I have the Pertronix in my 64, have had it for 2 years now with no issue.  It was in the car when I bought it, so cannot say how old it is, but works fine (knock on wood)  I also have a 67 Firebird 400 with points with no problem have had it since 93 (again knock on wood).  Haha, I keep reading about having problem and about carrying a spare.  How many darn spare parts are you guys carrying around with you?  If mine breaks I'm pulling out my handy dandy AAA card to tow it home on a flat bed.  If I'm going to an event far from home I haul my car in a trailer, so if it does break I just load it up and home I go.  Just don't get the carrying a trunk full of spare parts, but I guess in the Model T days that is what they did, but everyone does their own thing.😁

Art  

• Like 1

I pretty much keep all my things maintained at the original design. After my 60 years of working with cars, buildings, and power plants I have found that removing "improvements" is the best way to get things to work right.

My cars with points have points but I only use Echlin ignition parts or old stock original parts. Delco, Standard part for my GM cars have become visibly lower quality. A few years ago my '50 Electra came home on a flatbed less than one week after doing an 8 year tune-up, just for general principle. The wire came out of the new condenser.

I am a big supported of AAA. We got it for the kids and I was included. When I bought my first Jaguar I told my wife a Jaguar owner needed the extended towing. She manages to let me know my Buick is the only one that ever came home via AAA.... 6 Jaguars and a BMW later.

Myself I am from the days when most all of the parts were made in the good ole USA. 

As an example I came home from Vietnam in '67.  My brother bought me an Echlin Hign Perfornce Ignition system kit as a coming home present. I would service my distributor once  year going through the normal maintenence routine which included removing the points & appling new grease to the rubbing block & lubing everything required.  I NEVER had to file or touch the points, just clean off the black powder assocatiated from the arching of the points. There was never a pit in the points which meant that the condenser was perfectly matched to my igintion/electrical systems. I had to replace the ignition coil once because it crapped out about 10 yrs. later. They were in the Riv. from 1967 until 2013 for a total of close to 250K when the original condenser took a dump.  Couldn't find the HP condenser anywhere as it had been long dis-continued. I replaced it with a regular condenser that only lasted a few weeks. And then another & another & another.  Got tired of constantly having to exchange the, now made in China, condensers & went to an electronic ignition system that has been flawless since the installation.

Now I know that everyone is not a gearhead who lives, breathes & thinks mechanical things.  I find it amusing that many don't know which end of a screwdriver is correct & I understand that, we ALL need each other to some degree, but some should at least know how to change a flat tire & jack it up properly & what to do IF the lugnuts are giving you a hard time removing.  Not everyone is born with a wrench in their hands.

Just my thoughts & my opinions.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ran Pertronix distributor in a mustang. It replaced a Crane CD box and distributor. Started faster and seemed to be more "crisp" for the lack of a better term. I've put a module in my 64, but don't have any road time yet.

I had a MSD box go bad on me years ago. I tried to diagnose it, and found the internet complaining that in the past 10 years or more that they've been built with the cheapest parts by the cheapest labor. Real shame, when mine worked, it worked really well, very strong. I suspect its the capacitors inside that dry out and fail. Replace those with better quality parts, and it'll probably last a life time.

23 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I pretty much keep all my things maintained at the original design. After my 60 years of working with cars, buildings, and power plants I have found that removing "improvements" is the best way to get things to work right.

My cars with points have points but I only use Echlin ignition parts or old stock original parts. Delco, Standard part for my GM cars have become visibly lower quality. A few years ago my '50 Electra came home on a flatbed less than one week after doing an 8 year tune-up, just for general principle. The wire came out of the new condenser.

I am a big supported of AAA. We got it for the kids and I was included. When I bought my first Jaguar I told my wife a Jaguar owner needed the extended towing. She manages to let me know my Buick is the only one that ever came home via AAA.... 6 Jaguars and a BMW later.

I have had AAA for 50years.  I also pay for the extra towing with my insurance just in case the towing is than 5 miles that AAA covers.  It's not that much $.

Art

I appreciate comments and image on the Pertronix 1181. I've heard mostly good comments on Pertronix in general.

However, there are various Pertronix conversions to choose from. I have been curious on their 'lobe sensing' 1181LS.

Then, there's the DUI 1-wire. Expensive but a complete pkg, all new and advance set-up for our nailheads.

image.png.f75333437d59f261ac4bef508d6de003.png

image.png.3e6d6ec1e65418133596733ada60129d.png

17 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I appreciate comments and image on the Pertronix 1181. I've heard mostly good comments on Pertronix in general.

However, there are various Pertronix conversions to choose from. I have been curious on their 'lobe sensing' 1181LS.

Then, there's the DUI 1-wire. Expensive but a complete pkg, all new and advance set-up for our nailheads.

image.png.f75333437d59f261ac4bef508d6de003.png

image.png.3e6d6ec1e65418133596733ada60129d.png

Mine has the regular 1181. If I ever had to replace it, I'd use the 1181LS. No plate or shims to install. Personally to me, that DUI unit, along with all GM distributors that style, look hideous. May work great, but just don't think they look good sitting in the engine bay.

One of the bigger bangs for the buck is having the distributor advance rate also modified for better performance & fuel mileage.  I sell & install the one wire systems & have been for more than 20 years. As of yet not one comeback.  The only one that can tell it's not stock is you & myself.

Tom T.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, telriv said:

One of the bigger bangs for the buck is having the distributor advance rate also modified for better performance & fuel mileage.  I sell & install the one wire systems & have been for more than 20 years. As of yet not one comeback.  The only one that can tell it's not stock is you & myself.

Tom, I still have the DynaFlow in my '63. Would there be any point in an optimized advance curve? Stupid question maybe but with the current transmission, my 'nail would guzzle fuel regardless!

John,

The mod is good for ANY stock distributor.

On the highway my '61 LeSabre can achive 20MPG cruising at a steady 60-70 MPH.

It all depends on your left foot. You can get 3 or 20.

Tom T.

On 4/2/2021 at 7:32 AM, Zimm63 said:

Marksan:  Before somebody else does, let me give you a small piece of advice.  When first coming onto a site full of long time members, you might want to read a book titled "How to Win Friends and Influence People" before you start dissing long time members.  Especially those who are expert in the subject the site focuses on.  

If all of your 13 posts are similar to a couple of the ones here, you will not fit well with this crowd and you may wish to simply disappear before a moderator does it for you.

Zimm 

lts philosophies  like this that is the reason forums like this are dead. You are so arrogant as to decree that no one without a gazillion post has anything to offer, my apologies i should have listed all my toys for some ''cred'' like all the other insecure tossers. Pathetic really, and to be honest, you can shove it.

21 minutes ago, telriv said:

Why not just give it rest.

Looks like he did. His threads seem to be gone, although the responses remain. Just as well.

i don't diss anyone for their replies. I only ask to keep it cival & respect others views & opinions.  None of us know who or where this individual comes from or where he lives, and we must remember that was his opinion.

And don't forget we all "need each other" in one form or another.

No one has all the answers, myself included.

Tom T.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 1:26 PM, Marksan said:

14 hours ago, telriv said:

i don't diss anyone for their replies. I only ask to keep it cival & respect others views & opinions.  None of us know who or where this individual comes from or where he lives, and we must remember that was his opinion.

And don't forget we all "need each other" in one form or another.

No one has all the answers, myself included.

Tom T.

Tom, most reasonable. Some of us get upset when they think they’ve been rubbed the wrong way. When I first joined the forum I thought making repairs to parts was good. I repaired a 63 wire wheel cover by sanding the inside clincher and using two part epoxy JB Weld. I then primed the clincher and applied rust inhibitor. A gent busted my chops for trying to fix a piece that could not be repaired. 
I kept my cool and explained my reasoning for such repair. The gent that busted my chops and I are now chums on the forum. The JB weld is still holding after 3-4 years.

Restraint of tongue and pen requires on going practice.

Turbinator

On 4/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, kegart said:

Didn't nascar used to have 2 MSD systems in each car so they could  flip a switch to finish a race? If you need 2 I don't think they are very reliable. 

Kevin 

Kev, that is true if you need two of them they are not reliable. I’m a fan of back up solutions to keep me from walking when my car breaks down.

On a practical note I have two solutions to keep my pants up. I wear a belt then wear suspenders that have hooks that go on the belt. Two solutions but I need both.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 5:46 PM, RivCat said:

Do you see the problems more in their ignition boxes or in their distributors?

I see problems in both of them.....Two years ago a guy had paid someone to install an MSD box on a 2003

Silverado with a 5.3 liter LS motor. After wiring everything up, the installer cranked it up and it was only firing

on the right bank, all 4 driver's side cylinders had no spark. After going over all the wiring for a couple of hours,

he concluded that the MSD box must be bad, so he ordered another one and the same thing happened again.

At this point he gave up and the truck wound up at my place. I checked the wiring and determined that it HAD to be the MSD box, so I ordered a third one and installed it and it ran perfect..... 3 months later it lost spark on both banks

and then the whole mess was removed and put back to stock. The truck I'm working on right now had a bad module with 3,000 miles on it that would run fine for twenty minutes then go completely dead until the engine cooled off again. If you have anything from MSD on your vehicle, I recommend that you put your preferred tow truck

company on speed dial.

• Like 1