FS: 1953/54? Kelsey Hayes Buick Wheels w/nuts

I have a set of 5 Kelsey Hayes Buick wheels with nuts that are being offered for sale. I can get more pictures if inquired. These were from my Fathers barn. Asking $3800 for the set. Not super familiar with this time period so I hope the years are correct. Location: Ovid, MI 48866

997E71FC-91B3-4E10-90D5-DB157FDD1F87.jpeg

A287D713-D59E-431A-A929-166FD43B1E03.jpeg

A2BC75C1-3A8F-48B2-BEEF-FC1DDEE47005.jpeg

167146EA-CC86-40B4-BCA1-2F773BB0FD7B.jpeg

• Like 1

I am not sure if they were ever mounted or not. My Grandfather worked at Buick City in Flint, MI back in the day. My Father pulled these out of his barn and knocked the cobwebs and bird gunk of of them and used them as garage art the last 15 or so years. It is time we move on from them and hoping they will end up back on a classic Buick and on the road where they belong. I can get more pictures if requested. 

Hello 1967GMCkid,

i just thought i would offer  a little information re your beautiful Kelsey  Hayes wheels  come in  2 sizes for

1953- 54  Skylark,, the 6inch  wheels are for 1954 skylark, reason was it was  built on Century  chassis,

and the  6.1/2 inch , wheels are for  1953 Skylark   that is built on a Roadmaster chassis,  both will fit  both years,

but  the  53, 6.1/2inch wheels are safer and  there for  worth  about  15-20%  more in value.

Ask me how i know, i have restored both models back in 1990---92.

my 53 was place  second 2nd at   Buick Club Of America,National, early in those years.--Good Luck.

002.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lancemb said:

The 6" were also optional in 1955-56

Wires were not an option in 53, only standard Skylark, optional on all but Special in 54, optional all in 55 and NOT an option in 56 or above - that is per BCA judging guidelines 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

Wires were not an option in 53, only standard Skylark, optional on all but Special in 54, optional all in 55 and NOT an option in 56 or above - that is per BCA judging guidelines 

Yes, that's right.  That was my original comment and then I second-guessed myself.  I've corrected myself.  I get confused because my dad once had a 56 that had them since new, but they must have been dealer-installed.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lancemb said:

Yes, that's right.  That was my original comment and then I second-guessed myself.  I've corrected myself.  I get confused because my dad once had a 56 that had them since new, but they must have been dealer-installed.

I agree and have no  doubt Dealers put them on a lot of 56’s, I was just keeping it historically accurate

On 3/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, 1967GMCKid said:

I have a set of 5 Kelsey Hayes Buick wheels with nuts that are being offered for sale. I can get more pictures if inquired. These were from my Fathers barn. Asking $3800 for the set. Not super familiar with this time period so I hope the years are correct. Location: Ovid, MI 48866

997E71FC-91B3-4E10-90D5-DB157FDD1F87.jpeg

A287D713-D59E-431A-A929-166FD43B1E03.jpeg

A2BC75C1-3A8F-48B2-BEEF-FC1DDEE47005.jpeg

167146EA-CC86-40B4-BCA1-2F773BB0FD7B.jpeg

FWIW:

-  Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels were stamped with the size, in your case 15"-diameter x 6" wide (6" inside flange to inside flange and 7" outside flange to outside flange), the build-month & year (February, 1954) and the rim contour (L-style). Your other four wheels could have a number other than a "2" for a different month. The 1954 Buick Skylarks were fitted with a bias-ply, tube-type 7.60 x 15 whitewall tire on these wheels. 

-  The flap to cover the spoke's nipples for protecting inner tube puncturing is missing in the picture above. Flaps are not that expensive.

-  Your wheels have the non-Skylark colored hubcap emblems. There are two ways that you can install them incorrectly and only one way to install them correctly. Someone was consistent and picked one of the two incorrect ways to install all five emblems. When the ears of the hubcap are pointing to the 9:00 and 3:00 directions, the painted-white segment should be at the top, approximately between the 10:00 and 2:00 positions. Figure about an hour's worth of labor to rotate them one tab.

-  The chrome-plated lug nuts are useless to a vintage Buick owner. Buick used chrome-plated lug bolts to attach these wire wheels to the brake drums. 

-  Chrome plated spokes are not used by many, if any, shops that rebuild/restore these wire wheels nowadays. Polished stainless steel spokes are recommended.

Otherwise, you have a choice set of 5 wheels. Good luck with selling them.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 1953mack said:

FWIW:

-  Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels were stamped with the size (in your case, 15"-diameter x 6" inside flange to inside flange), the build-month & year (February, 1954) and the rim contour (L-style). Your other four wheels could have a number other than a "2" for a different month. The 1954 Buick Skylarks were fitted with a bias-ply, tube-type 7.60 x 15 whitewall tire on these wheels. 

-  The flap to cover the spoke's nipples for protecting inner tube puncturing is missing in the picture above. Flaps are not that expensive.

-  Your wheels have the non-Skylark colored hub cap emblems. There are two ways that you can install them incorrectly and only one way to install them correctly. Someone was consistent and picked one of the two incorrect ways to install all five emblems. When the ears of the hubcap are pointing to the 9:00 and 3:00 directions, the painted-white segment should be at the top, approximately between the 10:00 and 2:00 positions. Figure about an hour's worth of labor to rotate them one tab.

-  The chrome-plated lug nuts are useless to a vintage Buick owner. Buick used chrome-plated lug bolts to attach these wire wheels to the brake drums. 

-  Chrome plated spokes are not used by many, if any, shops that rebuild/restore these wire wheels nowadays.

Otherwise, you have a choice set of 5 wheels. Good luck with selling them.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

This info is really insightful. I didn't know much about these wheels but I am slowly becoming an expert thanks to you guys. Do you think the pricing is fair? I basically came up with that number based on a an average of a bunch of other threads. I would of course take offers. 

On 4/2/2021 at 6:58 AM, 1967GMCKid said:

. . . Do you think the pricing is fair? I basically came up with that number based on a an average of a bunch of other threads . . .  

Your asking price is close to what a Buick owner would be looking at today if he started from scratch without any cores. Consider and compare the costs for 5 good cores + re-chroming and rebuilding 5 wheels + 5 hubcaps + 5 emblems + 5 sets of hardware to attach the hubcaps to the wheels + 20 chrome-plated bolts + shipping charges + your time. When looking for good cores, I would advise anyone to pay attention ONLY to the outer wheel (some call it a rim) and the inner hub. Old, high-mileage OEM chrome-plated spokes and nipples are junk. Weed out the cores with bent flanges and deep pits, especially around the inner tube’s valve stem hole and the spoke’s nipples. It’s more economical to go with new polished stainless steel spokes and nipples.

There are three tabs on the backside of each emblem centered on each colored segment and three slots in each hubcap. This picture gives you a better idea on what’s involved and the results you get when you rotate a hubcap emblem one tab to the left or one tab to the right. What adds to the confusion is that the three colored segments are not equal at 120 degrees but the spacing of the slots in the hubcap are.

1-IMG_1850.JPG.dd4af134de1de5bacd964fe37e5affee.JPG

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1