I saw on Facebook Marketplace an interesting car somebody in Columbia Falls, MT has for sale. $15,750:
(At least this isn't one of those cars back east you have to drive 2,000 miles to look at!)
May be an image of vehicle

• Like 4
On 3/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, jeff_a said:

I saw on Facebook Marketplace an interesting car somebody in Columbia Falls, MT has for sale. $15,750:
(At least this isn't one of those cars back east you have to drive 2,000 miles to look at!)
May be an image of vehicle

Could you send the link of marketplace ?  Thanks 

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, Nicolas Macan said:

Could you send the link of marketplace ?  Thanks 

Hopefully this will work --- not a bad looking car --- I wonder if it's an older restoration? I believe this was the first year for the 212 Cu. In. All American Six engine.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1040219573088474/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A2b70925c-a14e-455d-bd49-9be89b1ebddc

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 7:35 AM, JayG said:

Why does a trailer suggest it doesn’t run?  Running cars get moved around on trailers all the time.  

The only time I've put a car on a trailer was when I was buying it, selling it, or it isn't running/safe to drive. I've never had a car nice enough to trailer to a show, and this one isn't exactly a trailer queen. Seller could've solved that mystery with a simple statement.

• Like 2
On 4/4/2021 at 7:35 AM, JayG said:

Why does a trailer suggest it doesn’t run?  Running cars get moved around on trailers all the time.

A restored car may travel by trailer but it is typically driven off the trailer for photographs. 

If a car is photographed on a trailer (especially one you are trying to sell) it means that because it doesn't run, it is too difficult to remove it and position it for some glamour shots.

Then get it back on the trailer to take it back home. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have a strong aversion to sellers who are in such a hurry to turn a profit that they can’t even wait until the car is off the trailer before they post the ad. My particular “favorite” is when they stop at a gas station and take the pics. 

That said, I really like the styling of this. The pics are pretty bad, but unfortunately this car looks rough to me. If it was close enough, I’d be checking it out to see if I am wrong. Well, maybe not because I agree it is wildly overpriced. 

1 minute ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

If you'll look at the map, you'll see that no one, absolutely no one is near this car.

That's funny.  I have something I'd like to buy in Pennsylvania, and thought, gee, big state but lots of old car folks, Shirley I know someone close.  Turns out it's in an area where I don't know anyone, north of Philadelphia, Milford, but near no one I'm on a first name basis with.  It's a very early Pierce bicycle, by the way, 1896 as far as we can tell...and shipping is a sticking point with current owner..

59 minutes ago, trimacar said:

That's funny.  I have something I'd like to buy in Pennsylvania, and thought, gee, big state but lots of old car folks, Shirley I know someone close.  Turns out it's in an area where I don't know anyone, north of Philadelphia, Milford, but near no one I'm on a first name basis with.  It's a very early Pierce bicycle, by the way, 1896 as far as we can tell...and shipping is a sticking point with current owner..

I've never been to Hershey or Carlisle, but they both bring folks from all over the country. Isn't there a Carlisle event coming up? maybe someone you know could take a look on your behalf?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
4 hours ago, Delco32V said:

That picture is our Pontiac 6-28 Landau Coupe, not an Oakland 😄

I'm so sorry! The picture came up in my search for the Oakland Landau coupe and I just assumed it was correct. I noticed a difference in the roof. It's a beautiful car nevertheless.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
On 4/5/2021 at 3:27 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

If you'll look at the map, you'll see that no one, absolutely no one is near this car.

It's a suburb of one of the states biggest cities, 93,000 in the Kalispell metro area, biggest in NW Montana. The amount of traffic around there is annoying enough we decided not to move there. I happen to live on a road that goes 3 miles from Columbia Falls, albeit 4 1/2 hours S.

Would sell in a New York minute, if it were in Europe.

From the looks of it, the top goes down. So many cars of the era had landau bars on a closed car that it confused me a minute.

jeff_a, I don't think that top goes down.  I could be wrong about that. Many 'sport coupes' had fixed padded roofs like Hudsy W showed Delco32V's Pontiac. The 1929 Reo Flying Cloud Master model C semi-sport coupe I had when I was in high school was that way. A solid wooden structure above the beltline covered in top material and dummy landau bars for decoration. SOME other 'sport coupes had fixed bows with top material that looked like a folding top, also with dummy landau bars for decoration. That style is best known by the Ford model A sport coupes because they are so (relatively) common. However, many other manufacturers offered similar cars. I have even seen a couple high end classics with tops that looked that way, and did not fold down. 

Usually, the tipoff is the rear door/window pillar. Even in marginal photographs, usually, one can see where the "door" pillar folds down instead of opening with the rest of the door. Often also, is the top of the door over the window. Usually, in folding top cabriolets, the door top is not clearly discernable. Although the picture of the 1928 Oakland is a bit dark, and not very clear, it does appear to have full doors and window surrounds with nice rounded corners, not squared off like the cabriolets usually have.

Since I do not do Fac***ok, I haven't seen if there are better pictures there.

• Like 1

alsancle, Yes, I can 'see' the bow under the sagging top. Hence not the solid wood structured and slightly padded top like the Reo I had was. Other than the model A Fords that I have seen dozens of, I have seen several non-Ford 'sport coupes' with simple fixed bows and 'roadster-like' tops stretched over them. Cabriolets with folding tops almost always have door and window frame parts that fold back and down with the top. And those parts of the window frame usually can be seen in the joints and squared lower rear corner. With the top folded and window rolled down, riding in a cabriolet is almost like an open roadster. 

I have seen a few fixed similar top coupes before, but it has been a few years. It seems to me there was a late 1920s Packard for sale like that a year or two ago. Some discussion about that one questioned whether it was originally that way or not.

Over the years, I have seen photos of Reo cars similar to or exactly like the one I had. Buick made quite a number of 'sport coupes' with the full wood structured and covered top. I have seen dozens of pictures (both era and recent) of them. A few other General Motors marquees also made such coupes. The Pontiac pictured above being one of quite a few modern photographs indicating that at least a few Pontiacs are still around. I saw such a Cadillac a few years ago. Why GM would have offered a mid-scale Oakland with the less expensive fixed bows top I could only speculate.

I like the look of this Oakland, and wish I could be able to consider such a car. A good friend about fifty years ago had a 1927 Oakland sedan that I rode in several times. Nice car.

I would like to see better pictures of this car. It is possible that the top could fold down, however, from what I can see so far, I would doubt that it does.

On 4/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, Gearheadengineer said:

I have a strong aversion to sellers who are in such a hurry to turn a profit that they can’t even wait until the car is off the trailer before they post the ad.

It's all about the photo angle. 😆

• 2 weeks later...