1936 Dodge D2 dash finish details

Gladden

The panels on the dash: ashtray, radio cover, gages panel, glovebox door, all had decals that mimicked wood stripes. Many moons ago I saw them at a trade fair.

The trim around dash and windows had a plastic like coating painted on that was meant to look like wood. I once saw (in Hemmings) that a guy near Houston offered that service but do not find him now.

Any leads are appreciated

gladden@airmail.net

713-443-6633

The woodgraining was originally painted on.  You can either buy a kit from Grain it and do it yourself,  or there are several guys in Hemmings I believe that offer the service,  or atleast was a while ago. 

While not correct for my car I chose the color and grain and did my 36 Chrysler myself. 

I believe they offer the correct patterns and colors for your car.  It's pretty easy but takes some time to do a good job.  This is a Tigerred maple in a mahogany finish if i recall correctly.

post-43003-143138653094_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14313865309_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138653092_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I should still have the set of dash decals that I bought several years ago from a guy that had reproduced them.  As I recall, I think he only had a couple of sets left and said he was not going to make any more.  If I can, I will find mine and take some pictures of them to post here if you want.  They should all still be in the original shipping envelope that might have the address and name of the seller.  I haven't seen them offered for sale in a LONG time though.  I recall that they were offered for a dash with the radio and a single ash tray or with the double ash trays.  Mine is for the dash with the radio in it.  The set was not for an entire dash, just the ash trays, glove box door, and guage panel, panel in front of driver and radio control panel.  I would have to have my dash board wood grained then use the kit for the removable panels.

All of the garnish mouldings and the dashboard itself were painted woodgrain. The ash trays, box doors and instrument panel were nickel plated and covered in a woodgrained transfer. Diran Yazejian used to make and sell these beautiful decals and no longer offers them, but his components are for sale. I need one of his original ash tray decals myself! Your best bet now, would be to take an original piece to a good sign shop and see if they could make replica decals for you. I had that done for the instrument faces on my car. Here is a shot of the gauge faces and the transfer. If needed, I have some of the gauge decals left. It's hard to see the detail of the grain decals on the instrument panel but they are the same as the box panel in grain detail. If any one has an extra ash tray decal from Darin in good condition, I would be interested in it. As a note, the bar area of the decals is clear to let the plating show through. Darin's decals were originally silkscreened and I was told by several signshops that they could not duplicate the sharpness of the originals, so I opted not to have all new ones mad if they wouldn't match. let us know how you make out!

058.JPG

DSC01612.JPG

Gauge 3.jpg

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

How bad is the wood graining on your dash? I took mine out of the car and went to work on it last month with some #800 grit sandpaper, alternating with Flitz polish and was able to remove 80+ years of residue. The thing is to use the sandpaper VERY gently and slowly, checking constantly to be sure you're not getting into the original finish. This will take a lot of patience so be prepared to walk away when you find yourself getting too aggressive.  What I ended up with is a dash with the original woodgrain that I can live with. The car is not going to be a show girl so she will show her age. I did the same with the garnish moldings and was able to rescue them as well. 

Diran's decals are wonderful. I might  have extras of the ones for the instrument cluster but I'd have to check.  

Great info! I will try the sandpaper and polish trick first 36 d2 coupe. Mine will never be a show car and I don’t want her to be. I don’t mind a little rust and dings in an old beauty! :) I just don’t want to mess up the dash by doing something wrong.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:05 AM, auburnseeker said:

The woodgraining was originally painted on.  You can either buy a kit from Grain it and do it yourself,  or there are several guys in Hemmings I believe that offer the service,  or atleast was a while ago. 

While not correct for my car I chose the color and grain and did my 36 Chrysler myself. 

I believe they offer the correct patterns and colors for your car.  It's pretty easy but takes some time to do a good job.  This is a Tigerred maple in a mahogany finish if i recall correctly.

post-43003-143138653094_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14313865309_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138653092_thumb.jpg

Beautiful job! I am looking on the grain it website now. I definitely need to prep my dash first as it is fairly rusty.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:21 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

I have not used Grain-it products but have watched them at Hershey several times. They , of course, make it look very easy. 

The pros always do! I am more concerned with using the right products to attack the surface rusting. Might start another post with pictures when I am ready to do the dash!

In my opinion, if you want to remove the rust, the best way is to sandblast the parts, then finish like any other metal parts. That will give the best results. If you wish to keep the 'patina', clean the panels well and the topcoat with clear.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking into this right now on the P2.  My nease does custom art vinyl wraps, so she is going to try to do our glovebox doors.   If that doesn't work out then we will try grain-it supplies.   The P2 has a metallic stripe down the center, that's going to be the hardest part to recreate.