For Sale - 1925 Cadillac Model 63 2 door sedan - Champaign, IL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1925-Cadillac-Other/164775986188?hash=item265d6a040c%3Ag%3AxMUAAOSwdJRgWUot&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500

http://smclassiccars.com/cadillac/685649-1925-cadillac-model-63-2-door-sedan.html

I went and test drove this car yesterday.  I think the price is optimistic as there a lot of little things which will need addressed.  The car did drive well once it got started.

• Electric Fuel Pump -- added but needs to be properly wired (fire hazard at the moment)
  • Brake Light doesn't work.
  • They claim other lights work but not verified (I was running out of time)
  • Windshield Wiper -- arm is missing and motor isn't hooked up (how hard is it to get parts and working?)
  • All of the tires need replaced (7.00-21) which are not the original size but are readily available.
  • Wheel for spare tire is painted differently than the rest of the car.
  • New battery was dead when I arrived to drive car so there is properly an electrical issue somewhere.
  • Cloth for seats looked like 80's GM cloth but done well.
  • Some chips in paint on wheels

I think I am going to pass on this car but I would appreciate any input if someone thinks I should reconsider if this car is special in some way.

Thanks.  Lee

Edited by lalautze
added wording (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I'm sure that it's just me, but I find that "Tomato" red blinding.

Thank you!  One of my pet peeves is that far too many people repaint closed cars of the 1920s bright red, which was generally reserved for open/sporty models and even those had a less-bright red.  IMHO, maroon would have been fine.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice back yard restoration. Take 10k off for assxxle red. Take 5k off for upholstery done in too modern of a style. I’m thinking it’s a 15-17k car......if you want it. Adjust for tires. You can buy a fantastic 41 Caddy.....much newer, for 18k. And it will be more useable than an earlier car. In this market.........buy one that’s correct, needs nothing, and done well. Might as well buy a good one, as they cost the same as a car with a bunch of issues. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thanks for the feedback.  The red looks wrong but not bad and I wouldn't offer anymore than 15k if I pursued it. 

My wife and I would like to look at Matt Harwood's '31 Cadillac but it is just out of our budget at this time.  We are looking for a late '20's or early 30's car to tour in.

I like those era Cadillacs, and have known a few people that toured with them quite a bit. Cadillac Carl knows a lot more about them than I do, and some models are better than others. I believe the 63 is one of the better ones. That said, because of my interests, and the fact I have ridden in a few 1924 to 1927 Cadillacs and would very much like to get a car of that era and size, I do tend to notice ones for sale. In the past three to four years, I have seen at least four 1925ish Cadillac sedans and four passenger coupes for sale, needing a 'little work'. All of them priced between $20,000 and $27,000, and not selling. Most of those cars were at least as nice as this one (somewhat better interiors), considerably less money, and not selling for at least two years in one case?

Ebad seems to be attracting a lot of people lately with grand visions of what their not quite right or ready vehicles are worth.

I love the Cadillacs of the twenties, not sure why.  I wouldn't mind a two car collection but these are out of my knowledge ability.  I suspect many sit higher than some modern SUVs.   But there were 3 of these I spotted in the past 18 months when I was a CLC member and thought about getting.  

The issue on pricing is that the correction in pricing is going to take a long time to adjust for SELLERS, not potential buyers.  We all generally say about these cars "nice car, but it's about (fill in the blank) too much."   

But if anyone seriously approached a seller with this information they would get told no, and don't bother....   The cars languish unsold.  The sellers are either -

1. The person who restored the car and dumped a crap load of money into it or bought it at the high end and wants their money back out because - doesn't everyone make money on the old car market? 

2. The next generation (estate) seller grandkid who thinks Grandpa's car is a gold mine and they see cruise ship trips and home additions in their future.   or

3. A dealer that purchased from either 1 or 2 above and adds on 50% mark up and let's the car sit even longer.  

Meanwhile, 57 year old, retirement savings challenged guys like me want it at a "tinker" price, not nearly full retail, and to be honest, when I am 77, merely 20 years from now, these cars will be adjusted out of the marketplace, quite affordable, but I will be driving a new electric Corvette or Mustang.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lalautze said:

Thanks for the feedback.  The red looks wrong but not bad and I wouldn't offer anymore than 15k if I pursued it. 

My wife and I would like to look at Matt Harwood's '31 Cadillac but it is just out of our budget at this time.  We are looking for a late '20's or early 30's car to tour in.

1929 to 1931 is LIGHT years ahead of 1928 and earlier. Apples and oranges.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:41 PM, lalautze said:

I would be willing to discuss the sale of my '29 Cadillac for quite a bit less than the '31 I just sold. PM me if interested and there are strings attached.

29Cad1.thumb.jpg.a27a092a4e10752ce302ef84d9a025c3.jpg