Suggestions on overdrive solenoid rebuilders?

John_Mc

I went through several rebuilt and NOS solenoids on my overdrive and they never worked for very long. I finally ponied up and spent the long dollar on one of the new ones and it worked quite well after that. Once those windings start to fail, there's not much that can be done.

Have you tested yours to see if it's actually faulty? My system initially failed and I blamed the solenoid but it was actually the relay that fires the solenoid. You can test the solenoid by running 6V through it from a battery. If it pops out vigorously, it's probably OK.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 4:06 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I went through several rebuilt and NOS solenoids on my overdrive and they never worked for very long. I finally ponied up and spent the long dollar on one of the new ones and it worked quite well after that. Once those windings start to fail, there's not much that can be done.

Have you tested yours to see if it's actually faulty? My system initially failed and I blamed the solenoid but it was actually the relay that fires the solenoid. You can test the solenoid by running 6V through it from a battery. If it pops out vigorously, it's probably OK.

Hi, yes it’s faulty.  I’ve checked the voltage from the relay.   Over 30 mph, the OD light on the dash even illuminates.  Bench testing with over 6 volts and there is still no movement.  I dropped it off at a high quality auto electric shop today so I’ll know something soon.  Thank you for responding.

Finding the Lincoln solenoids is never easy.  Most of the new reproductions are for the short shafted solenoids as Borg Warner built many versions of the R10 overdrive units.  There are people who will rebuild them, but I don't think anyone actually uses new coil windings which can be problematic over time.  The contact holding points internally do go bad with overheating too.  

Thanks guys, my electric guy has it working, although he was not sure what it was.  He took it apart, put it back together and now it’s fine..........weird but I’m happy it’s working!