1941 Buick rear license plate holder

Looking for a rear license plate holder for my '41 Buick Special.    Mine has the adjustable part that is supposed to fit to the top of the plate but the loop that goes over the plate has been broken off so there is no support for the top of the plate.  I checked ebay but couldn't find one there.  I thought perhaps someone in the BCA has a spare they would sell me.  Thanks.

Hi, Stuart. I think you'll find this top hold-down bracket is the same as used front and rear on all other later 1930's-early 1940's BUICK'S. That should make it a lot easier for you to find one. Good luck in your search. John

Posted (edited)

Do you think someone made this or is it an actual part of the license plate bracket?  No one else seems to have this piece.   After I posted this, I noticed on ebay there is a bracket for sale with an OK license plate.  There is a hole for the bolt for this part but it doesn't have the part itself so I imagine yours is an original part.  Here is a link to an ebay store that shows a complete bracket and the piece over the top is not separate but part of a longer piece.  That longer piece is on by bracket but the loop is missing.

http://www.classicnosparts.com/product/1938-1939-1940-1941-1942-buick-rear-license-light-lamp-license-plate-holder-plate-nos-rare/

Edited by First Buick
added info (see edit history)

The bracket in the ad looks like mine on my 1939 Roadmaster, but the photo shows it upside down. The bottom piece, shown on the top in the photo, fits into the top of the trunk handle assembly.  The top hook, shown on the bottom in the photo, goes over the top of the plate.

IMG_20201106_170533892.jpg

Edited by BuickBob49 (see edit history)
On 4/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, Grandpa said:

Pictured is what my 1941 Buick has to clamp the top of the rear plate.

DSC00235a.JPG

And its rounded to fit the tubular shape of the edge cover surrounding the license place. I think you can buy reproductions from Bob's Automobilia or Cars Inc in NJ.

19 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

And its rounded to fit the tubular shape of the edge cover surrounding the license place. I think you can buy reproductions from Bob's Automobilia or Cars Inc in NJ.

Thanks a lot.  I will check those places and see if I can find one.

Posted (edited)

Nothing from either of these places.  At Bob's Automobilia, you have to buy a catalog and there were dozens of Cars, Inc., places in NJ.  I tried a few that advertised vintage parts, other than for cars like Porsche, and couldn't come up with anything.  I think I will just make one.

Edited by First Buick
typo (see edit history)

Stuart:

Here's a link to Bob's online catalog:

https://bobsautomobilia.com/

And also a link to Cars, Inc. in New Jersey, that specializes in Buick parts:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/

Good luck.

PS: on my '41, the top piece on the rear plate holder was also missing.  I just used a plain chrome plate frame.   The bottom bolts go through both the frame and the plate holder.  The top bolts just attach the frame to the plate.  It's very secure.  I will post a pic when I get a chance.

Click on "Bobs Auto" in top left of screen

Get another a page

Bob's Automobilia started out in 1979. We specialize in new and used restoration parts for 1920 to 1957 era Buicks. We have over 3,500 items available, including quality originals and reproductions. We appreciate your patronage and thank you for the opportunity to serve you. It is our aim to supply an ever increasing number of quality items for your antique auto restoration.

While we are rebuilding our online catalog, please view our PDF Catalog for

When buying items from tell them you do not want a printed catalog with the order.  Its heavy and expensive to deliver/ship/mail

This is quite obvious, but in the interest of completeness, I will post a pic of the backside of my set up.  As you can, the top part of my plate holder was missing completely, so I used a chrome metal frame to come up with a rigid attachment.  As I indicated previously, the bottom bolts go through the plate, the frame, and the holder.  The top bolts just secure the plate to the frame.  A wide variety of frames is available at any auto parts store.  Just make sure you get the kind with holes on both top and bottom to attach the plate.

rear_plate.jpg.a8d3e29b2bd3357c920f57a318b827ae.jpg