Waiting on parts for my 1948 Studebaker Commander brake job

Dennis Jones

Waiting on parts to finish the brakes. I still need to order new axle seals. I'm afraid I might have ruined the existing seals when I used a torch to heat the drums to remove them. I also need to figure out how to remove the existing brake linings so I can rivet the new linings on. I guess maybe grind them off. They were bonded linings. The linings look good in the picture, but the contact plugs are worn and rubbing on the drums.  I am doing all four wheels.

Brake 3.jpg

Brake 2.jpg

Brake 1.jpg

Just a Sec. your linings do look good and that contact plug is supposed to touch the drum at all times. It is the self adjuster. Studebaker was one of the first with self adjusting brakes.  It looks like the right hand shoe might be a be a little worn but if the pedal is up, I would run those. If you have no pedal on a Stude it is often the self adjuster sticking. 

Also, you would have had to get that hub pretty hot to damage the seals, but while your in this far anyway, it's a good idea.

You should, I think be able to get shoes from one of the Stude parts places. 

Garages and auto machine shops used to have a machine to punch out the old rivets and set new ones. There may still be one around if you can find it, are there any old car guys in your area you could ask? If not, you might need to send them out to have the job done right.

Seals should be available from your local industrial bearing shop, there is one in most good sized towns.