Blackhawk Bugatti Royale sold

Cadillac Fan

• Cadillac Fan changed the title to Blackhawk Bugatti Royale sold

I love the Briggs Cunningham story-article above says that he paid Bugatti's daughter $600 and a new GE Fridge! Very shrewd of him to have had it restored in France before bringing it back to the states. I'll bet that there were some very capable hands over there eager to get the work just after the war.

I wouldn’t bet on the number. Last real offer was reported to be way below 22. That said, it was three or four years ago. At the time, it also was reported it needed significant engine work. It’s possible it has been resolved before the sale, as I don’t really keep track of foreign cars and I only catch chit chat on the rumor mill........I have a photo of me sitting in it somewhere, but it’s not on my hard drive. It’s the only one left in private hands unless I’m mistaken. So, it you want one, your gonna have to pay the asking price.

• Thanks 1

With the kind of prices unique works of art, mere paintings, bring  from the multi, multi billionaires, 22 for the only Royale one can possibly buy seems light to me. But I am not even the doorman. What do I know ?  -   CC

On 3/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, padgett said:

a) Don't think the buyer needs to ask.

b) Beats postage stamps.

a) Probably not

b) Well, I'd be afraid to drive a $22-million car.  At least stamps are useful for mailing stuff - with $22-million worth, one could mail a LOT of stuff.  🤣

2 hours ago, padgett said:

To them it is just a number and not really important.

It's important in that it's how they keep score.

I think it adds perspective to convert historic dollars to current ones.  Cunningham paid $600 and a new refrigerator, another $400, for the car.  No clue as to the restoration cost but let's say triple the purchase price, so $3,000 or $4,000 all in.  The article doesn't say exactly when the car was purchased/restored but it was imported to the US in 1951.  Equivalent in 2021 would be about $40,000.  But the article says the car sold for more than the $22-million paid for the Gable Duesenberg in 2018.  That's better than 13% compound annual interest - not a bad return.  😁

The last asking price was WAY below 50............since you can count on your hands guys who throw down 20 million or more for cars, it shouldn’t be too hard to figure where it went........I have no clue, and don’t care as I only follow American cars. I know for a fact the number being tossed around as well under 22 in the not too distant past. Take into consideration that a fantastic Alfa will run way over 75 million, and the Type 41 isn’t the big boy toy of yesteryear. How that for high end car snobbery! It’s time for me to go for a ride in my 1915 Ford T. 😎

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If I had all of the cars I've had in the past the current value would be a coupla mil easy. Some I wouldn't mind having again (e.g. FIAT 124 Spyder) but happy with the current herd.

Ant's repoped Alpha went at BJ for $100k but this weekend $100k was near the minimum. $5 mil for a 275 GTB4 ? GTS used in FBDO maybe.