Seat belts for dogs

Den41Buick

I have seat belts in both of my 1941 Buick's. In an attempt to keep the pets safe I have purchased the seat belt safety clips. The issue is the fact that they only work on newer seat belts. Does anyone have a solution they could share? Thanks.

• Like 1

Solvit pet harness is a good harness if you're taking a larger dog. 

We lost our Vizsla (55lbs) last year but it worked good while we had her. Vizslas are very energetic dogs so we always sat in back with her to  make sure she was somewhat calm throughout the trip. 

Dogs are just like a kid, you can never leave them un-attended in a situation like that. Unless your on a country road and going slow but in the city a Solvit helps. I liked it because it never choked her and had proper support for the chest/shoulders. 

Miss that ole girl, best dog we ever had...

Here's a pic of the Solvit product pulled from the web

See the source image

And  of course, a photo of the ole girl (Cali) doing what she loved most... swimming and diving for her kong. 

image.png.1a836333d8dbcf24488c50591166bd4b.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No worries about Gracie or Sophie jumping out a window at speed. I close the door windows about 3/4 of the way and they use the rear vent windows effectively to stick their noses out!  They are about 55-60 lbs and don’t like to be confined in the car so no belts. 

3FBA697C-F24B-4507-BC3D-57EFF3A8C18B.jpeg

2E60543F-54E1-4861-BFC1-751BAE068E1A.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

I have seat belts in both of my 1941 Buick's. In an attempt to keep the pets safe I have purchased the seat belt safety clips. The issue is the fact that they only work on newer seat belts. Does anyone have a solution they could share? Thanks.

Not knowing which of the old and even older style belts you have to match, a trip to a u pull to acquire the newer end you need, a search of the internet for air line seat belt extensions made for the larger passengers and a trip to the shoe or upholstery shop for a sewing machine that  can attach what you need to your adapter harness. 

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)

Ah! have times changed, I was driving in my new 76 ElCamino and I stopped at the highway exit for a light. A lady came along side me and that I shouldn't have my dog in the pick up bed as he might jump out on the highway.

I responded (not very political correct now) if he does jump out, it will be the last time he ever did that!  😨

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

A lady came along

My dog has a terrible separation issue and will bark and whine when I leave him it the back of the pick up even for a few minutes.

I keep him on a short chain so he cannot get out, but boy did I get a nasty note from someone that referred to the thousands of dogs that fall out of pick ups every day.

That would certainly be a shame but haven't heard about it.

I'm distressed by the folks who drive with a dog on their lap, paws on the steering wheel or window sill, leaning half-out, and obviously making it impossible for the driver to safely react to an emergency situation.

Do they require the self-absorbed attention, requiring that others are supposed to delight over "Cutie-Pie"?

It happens all too often around here, and law enforcement never seems to bother these folks, despite the safety concern.

• Like 2

I can't really add to this with respect to seatbelts and associated harnesses for dogs in older cars. But I just had to post a couple of photos from 15 years ago on a trip that was several hundred miles from home in the old car. I never did figure out how she found that arm rest comfortable enough to use as a pillow. The biggest issue we had was getting all that Akita fur off the mohair, sure did want to stick on there. 

tf20050811-01.jpg

lf20050814-08.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/29/2021 at 2:39 PM, Marty Roth said:

I'm distressed by the folks who drive with a dog on their lap, paws on the steering wheel or window sill, leaning half-out, and obviously making it impossible for the driver to safely react to an emergency situation.

Do they require the self-absorbed attention, requiring that others are supposed to delight over "Cutie-Pie"?

Yes, they do.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

We all love our "FUR BABIES"-

Several of our Dalmatians were happiest riding either the front seat, or preferrably standing regally on the hose bed of our Fire Engine,

ready for Parades, local tours, or just out in the neighborhood - as soon as the engine roared to life, they were on-board and raring to go !

I admit pet restraints were not often considered back in the 1970 through 2000 time frame. We did use a pooch seatbelt restraint for car rides after that time, but sadly no longer have pets to care for, other than visiting our son and daughter. each of whom have rescue dogs. When they ride with us, their restraints are properly utilized, and they expect to use it - Good Dog !!

For us, it was rescuing Dalmatians, finding them new homes, and of course keeping some. 

Kids would go see to "101 Dalmatians" movie, 

then they wanted the cute puppy, white with black spots-

"I Promise I Will Feed it and Clean Up After it, and I Will Walk it Several Times Every Every Day"

Mom said "NO", she knew what would surely happen - you don't just put it up on the shelf when the kids get bored-

When Mom says "NO", ask Granny-

Grandma bought it anyway, and just-as-often not from a carefully curated breeder, so inbreeding and deafness became issues.

Caring for a pet is initially fun, but ultimately the novelty wears off.

Several months, or even a year or so later, nobody really wanted the obligation of caring for "Sparky, Freckles, Dottie, or Cutie-Pie".

One day Dad and poochie went for a ride in the car, but not to the (expensive) veterinarian.

When the kids finally thought to ask, they were told that he/she had gone to live on a farm to be happier.

In actuality, poochie was simply turned loose in a field, a park, or just on the street in a strange neighborhood in a different town - without a collar.

3BAE3FAF-9125-4EFB-9EA2-74EE65B38453.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Marty - very true words. Pets require a lot of work, a lot of care and make us happy. It is why many "car guys" like and have pets. ( hey when you think of it, the care, work, etc can apply to 80+ year old cars too) Lots of thought needed before the acquisition of a dog, and the joy it will bring , but also the care it will need and the time you need to do so. A friend from England who visited me years ago who is a pre war car collector as well, when he saw our two terriers said " they are a part of your family but they view you as a part of their pack."

Pets are like cars, they need attention and care. The thing about pets is they give you undying love in return. A car doesn’t. 
There is a saying in the horse world - 

“The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man” 

I think that applies to dogs also!  
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

I think that applies to dogs also!  

Mochi is the "new" Maltypoo, 18 months when the photo was taken last Sept.  The previous Maltypoo "Rags" made it to 17.4 years and participated in dozens of tours.  They're the right size for touring, and with hair rather than fur, they don't shed.

Modoc 2020-2.jpg

• Like 5