What’s Your Favorite Automobile Related Movie?

Angelfish

Many great films mentioned. My favorites of those: Duel, Mad Max and Ford vs. Ferrari.

One movie many car people haven't seen, but should if they like old cars, is the original Fast and Furious, made back in the 1950's by the infamously schlocky Roger Corman (who actually made pretty good low budget movies.) Here it is free on you tube:

The Fast And The Furious (1955) - YouTube

• Like 1

Redline 7000 is remarkable not because at 7,000 rpm every engine would blow and the announcers booth at every track was built from identical plans but for the screen appearance of the Cobra Daytona (and Florida did not and does not have a front plate).

ps have had and now have cars with 7,000 rpm redlines.

What!? No "Godfather" fans? Sure, not a car film but has some great car scenes in it.  Maybe it's overlooked since it is the best film ever made and you can only get so many accolades.

mio ragazzo — The Godfather: Cars

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

BTW James; am I being blocked ? "And who can forget the Fast and theFurious by Roger Corman."

I don't think you're being blocked. I can see your posts, but I just missed your earlier reference to that movie. Sorry...I'm a pretty scattered reader.

11 hours ago, Stude Light said:

What!? No "Godfather" fans? Sure, not a car film but has some great car scenes in it.  Maybe it's overlooked since it is the best film ever made and you can only get so many accolades.

mio ragazzo — The Godfather: Cars

They were looking for cars when they were filming it. My Father had a a 39 Pontiac that was used in the film. I remember going with him and bringing his 39 Pontiac to a hanger at Kennedy Airport. We never could find the car in the film. I don't remember too much other then it was real hot and there was plenty of food provided. We need to keep in mind that the cars were not really all that old at the time of the filming. 

It was a great movie

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guess I prefer movies where the hero(ine) does not die in the end. Seems in many cases the censors demanded it or would be banned in Boston. Not yet mentioned but remember the McQueen/MacGraw "The Getaway" (yes it had car stuff) as a groundbreaking picture in which the hero was allowed to "get away with it".

"Live by Night" - apologies if it's already been mentioned.  Pretty good gangster movie - interesting that it's set in Florida rather than the usual Chicago or New York.  Anyway, lots of nice 20s-30s cars of various marques (warning: they wrecked three Model A sedans).  The usual gangster movie violence, bad language and a little not-very-explicit sex.

• Like 1

The W.C. Fields segment of destruction of "road hogs" in If I Had a Million, circa 1934.  After Fields' new car is destroyed by a careless driver, he fortuitously comes by $1 million and hires a crew of the unemployed to drive 1920s heavy classics from a junky used car lot to exact revenge on observed "road hogs."  Keep some Kleenex handy, as wonderful cars are destroyed....

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

The W.C. Fields segment of destruction of "road hogs" in If I Had a Million, circa 1934.  After Fields' new car is destroyed by a careless driver, he fortuitously comes by $1 million and hires a crew of the unemployed to drive 1920s heavy classics from a junky used car lot to exact revenge on observed "road hogs."  Keep some Kleenex handy, as wonderful cars are destroyed....

I hear ya.  OTOH, they were just old (not antique) cars in 1932.  What really makes me sad is a new movie in which antique cars are destroyed.  But I guess they can't all be saved.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, padgett said:

Lancia from Godfather II ?

Florida has had a film industry all along just was not big until Ivan Tors came along. Think "Thunderball" and "Flipper"

True:

Films set in Florida

What I find interesting about "Live by Night", it's not just set in Florida, the story is about Florida (or at least 20s-30s gangsterism therein).

“Action in the North Atlantic,” hands down - but you have to look fast to see the car. 

But, speaking of vaudeville, George Burns drives a great Pierce Arrow in the movie “Just You And Me, Kid.”

There are scenes where he takes out plastic traffic cones each time he parks, and places them on either side of the car, as a buffer. Obviously, this was intentionally part of the comedy: guarding a PA like only a Packard should be treated!

(See below expression on George’s face: clearly still lamenting his decision not to trade in when he had the chance)

B0C09720-C7CF-4837-A161-E0557CA48AE4.jpeg

1C6138FF-0024-40A2-9755-6D575CCA10CC.jpeg

Edited by JBP (see edit history)

Oh thought you wanted films made in Florida (if you see hills in the background, it ain't).

The Happening (original)

Tony Rome

Fathom

A Hole in the Head

Lady in Cement

Flipper

Goldfinger (most of second half)

Thunderball

On 4/2/2021 at 6:09 PM, padgett said:

Oh thought you wanted films made in Florida (if you see hills in the background, it ain't).

The Happening (original)

Tony Rome

Fathom

A Hole in the Head

Lady in Cement

Flipper

Goldfinger (most of second half)

Thunderball

Hey now, Florida has hills, even some mountains:

https://peakvisor.com/adm/florida.html

They're just not very tall.  🤣

What I mean is a film may be made in Florida, or it may be portrayed in the movie regardless where it was filmed.  The location portrayed may be integral to the story or just incidental.  Actually, "Live by Night" wasn't filmed in Florida but its portrayal is an integral part of the movie.

Depends on how you define "mountain". Orlando is in the low lands, I am about 86 feet above sea level. The town of Clermont (about 20 miles west) is in the "central Florida highlands" aka the Lake Wales Ridge. The elevation of Clermont is 305 feet and the area is quite hilly. But the highest point is Britton Hill (345 feet) is a whole 40 feet higher than Clermont. There are some fun driving roads around Clermont,  SR 455 is one.

SugarLoaf1.jpg

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Did anyone mention The Sting yet?

A long time since I saw it. One memory I have is that whoever drove the Pierce-Arrow didn't know how to handle an old gearbox.

I see there is still one vehicle not yet identified.

IMCDb.org: "The Sting, 1973": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

I don't think so, great movie and that unfortunately sort of gets forgotten about, good call!

Talk about Florida, movies made in Florida, movies set in Florida NOT made in Florida? One of my wife's favorite movies (although hated by many!), is "Clambake" with Elvis Presley. Only a few cars, but a custom show Corvette is one of them. (The movie was made in Southern Califunny!)

7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

And Paramount Network is showing "Dazed and Confused" tonight! Take me back to 1976... cars, music, field parties... it's like I knew a lot of those characters🙃

I am going to try to catch it tonight, not only did know a lot of those characters I could have been one of the characters, not me in the photo, someone had to take the picture!

raf_1_650.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well- I did leave out falling up in Waffle House drunk at 2:30 AM...🥴 18 year olds could legally buy beer in Vajenya back then, not that being underage ever slowed us down getting it. We had ways if we didn't always have the means, and there were a couple of juke joints that were happy to order us a keg and a setup for a Dazed and Confused style field party! Granted, it was often the cheapest beer you could get, but what difference did that make?

• Like 1

Correct!😺 after the first four or five you couldn't have told the difference anyway, though some brands left a worse hangover than others🥴🤮.

Then the wild eyed Southern boy grew up and got choosy about his brews 🧐 and now goes for taste over effect! But those days were a whole lot of fun, in a 66 442 with a Craig Powerplay 8 track blasting out Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult and .38 Special.

We survived our teenage stupidity and lived to tell about it, and try to keep old cars running to remind us we weren't always old guys!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1