What’s Your Favorite Automobile Related Movie?

Angelfish

15 hours ago, padgett said:

"I am surprised nobody mentioned Smoky and the Bandit yet  "

Posted yesterday, am I blocked ?
"Have collections of "Smokey and the Bandit" (original is quintessential American spirit though had to "import" Olympia to Florida also)".

First page.

I enjoy car spotting in movies made in the 30's , 40's 50's and even 60's that take place at the time they were made, rather than modern movies staged in the past. Last night I watched a movie on the Turner Ch. with Doris Day and James Garner. Don't remember the title but must have been filmed about 58 because 58 seemed to be the latest car I recognized. Garner and Day drove a 58 chevy convertible and a 57 T-Bird. There were lots of other 50's cars in the movie.  The B&W movies filmed in the 30's staged in the NY City area show a lot of Classic limos.  

Below is a link to a short B&W film made about 1952 but takes place earlier and the "star" of the movie is a 1903 Ford, if you are into the very early cars, that has a prominent part at the beginning, end and several places throughout. This is a movie that you might want to share with your grandkids.  I believe it is the original adaptation of the book "Ransom of Red Chief".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

However for Spider Baby (Duesy limo) have to go to Amazon Prime.

I recall "Spider Baby" being discussed a year or so ago.

One of my favorite 'car' movies is the 1932 "The Crowd Roars" with James Cagney and Joan Blondel. Been several years since I have seen it. Simple plot, mostly predictable ending (although the closing shots of Cagney are quite memorable!). Most of the racing scenes and footage is very good, including some footage from actual 1920s races!

Good copies are a bit tough to come by, the movie was cut up in the late 1930s by the studio to use footage for another movie (1939's "Indianapolis Speedway"). Apparently the studio had only one copy that seven years later? A short while later, someone tried to put the 1932 movie back together and mixed in some of the 1939 pieces. I read some years back that an attempt was made to correct the errors made, but I have never seen that version. Even with a few glaring 1939 errors, the movie is fun to see.

• Like 1

Interesting thing about Baltimore in the 50s and 60s, a successful businessman was expected to drive a Caddy but show up in a Jag and they wold figure you did not need the buisiness. Any place else like that ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, padgett said:

I liked Repo Man. They had "Drink".

They were after a '64 Chevelle, so I like that one but was afraid not many here would have heard of it.

Tin Men is about the cutthroat business of being an aluminum siding salesman. Interesting enough there was such a problem with un ethical business practices during that period ( not to mention the gov. now) with homeowners being ripped off right and left, that the Maryland Home Improvement Commission was formed.  Resulting in MD being one of the toughest states in the country to get a home improvement license in.  A couple of large books to read, a several hour test given only certain times a year. AND it deals all with legalities and ethics, nothing at all about building or skills!  There is a whole list of requirements I wont go into but by contrast in neighboring states $25 will get a license.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Tin Men is about the cutthroat business of being an aluminum siding salesman. Interesting enough there was such a problem with un ethical business practices during that period ( not to mention the gov. now) with homeowners being ripped off right and left, that the Maryland Home Improvement Commission was formed.  Resulting in MD being one of the toughest states in the country to get a home improvement license in.  A couple of large books to read, a several hour test given only certain times a year. AND it deals all with legalities and ethics, nothing at all about building or skills!  There is a whole list of requirements I wont go into but by contrast in neighboring states $25 will get a license.

What kind of cars do the salesmen drive?  Anything interesting?