Jump to content

What’s Your Favorite Automobile Related Movie?


Recommended Posts

Lots of great movies in this thread.  Dunno if I have a favorite but here's a couple I like (I assume TV movies qualify):

 

MV5BMjQxOTgzYjEtZjM3YS00ODBhLTgyMTEtM2My

 

Kid pulls an old Willys coupe out of a junkyard and builds it up to out-drag the local rich bad guys.

 

And of course:

 

MV5BMTU0NjA3NjQxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk4

 

Local sheriff kills young guy by running him off the road.  His brother in a 34 Ford hot rod gets revenge by doing the same to the sheriff.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of 60s and 70s cars in the movie dazed and confused. Also great soundtrack. The story line isn't that great though. My favorite is American Graffiti. By far one of the best car movies !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Morgansdad said:

Lots of 60s and 70s cars in the movie dazed and confused. Also great soundtrack. The story line isn't that great though. My favorite is American Graffiti. By far one of the best car movies !

 

A lot of cars! and as you said a great soundtrack!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bullitt

The Seven-Ups (second best car chase of all time, after Bullitt, IMO) and also because there's a suicide door lincoln in that one

Ronin has some good chases in it also

I also get sucked into Nash Bridges when it is on. That  'Cuda

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite car scene is in a non-car movie...O Brother, Where Art Thou?  The boys are rescued by a center-door T crashing through the burning barn, driven by a kid wearing a leather aviator helmet and sitting on a couple Ward's catalogs (remember those?) with wood blocks strapped to his feet to reach the pedals.  🤣

 

306592499_OBrother.jpg.75c7c49018d5705cae49dd5704a957ec.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used Cars.😁 Has a flying Edsel.

 

Atomic Brain Invasion, has a Graham Sharknose in it!👍 No, I've never watched it....

 

And of course, Fritz Lang's Metropolis! Very famous move from Germany in 1927. Features, not just happens to be in shots, the Rumpler Tropfenwagen. Very futuristic car, well, for mid 20s. Yes, at least two are destroyed, out of maybe 100 made.... Only one known to still be in existence.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maok said:

Being an Aussie, Mad Max I for sure.

And also being an Aussie, the little known "Doing your own thing" made in the early 70's. Reason I mention it at all is that I was "on screen" in it.

 

At the time was running a 289 Ford powered dragster at Castlereagh Dragway west of Sydney. Movie was a number of 15/2O minute segments, documentary style about different people doing their own thing. One of featured people was running an early model Holden(FX or FJ) Sedan at the drags. The producers wanted some background footage, this included the unloading of the dragster from the trailer. The movie got mainstream cinema release , but as a second feature, and I was able to see myself on the big screen. Years later, with a young family by that stage, saw it was on late night TV. Recorded it on VCR and watched it the next day. Only trouble was, the whole drag racing segment wasn't there! And after I'd told my kids they'd be able to see their Dad on TV.

 

Still my favourite movie. If only I could find an uncut copy to show my now grown up kids.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Lots of great movies in this thread.  Dunno if I have a favorite but here's a couple I like (I assume TV movies qualify):

 

MV5BMjQxOTgzYjEtZjM3YS00ODBhLTgyMTEtM2My

 

Kid pulls an old Willys coupe out of a junkyard and builds it up to out-drag the local rich bad guys.

 

"Hot Rod" had an alternate title which I can't find right now.   An under the radar movie with about 10% of the production quality of American Graffiti but still worth watching if only for the Willys.

 

There is a big thread on this movie on the Hamb:   https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/munns-root-beer-cutlassfrom-the-movie-hot-rod.455411/

 

WillysFromMovieHotRod.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw Hot rod or a small clip of it when I was probably 10 years old.  I think I finally found the whole movie again when I had finished building my own hot rod and found it at a vendors booth on VHS at a car show, probably atleast 15 years later.   Similar story with The California Kid.  Lucked out on that one.  I happened to sit down to eat lunch one day and turned on the TV when we had about 10 channels and They were playing the opening credits.  Got to see the whole movie.  Then took another 5 to find it on DVD.  Of course now with the net,  it's easy to find stuff like that. 

 

It was much harder for car guys to get their fix in pre internet days. I remember when the only car related program was I think my classic car with Dennis Gage on Sunday mornings at like 9 or 10 AM.  Might have even been PBS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recorded the sound track from Grand Prix on reel to reel 50 yar ago. Have been saving since the 80's just then was on a top loader VHS recorder and 480p (SD). Been collecting ever since, mostly on DVD or BluRay now. Have exceeded Many and reached Lots. Even have some on formats that failed (e.g. Laser Disk, 3D...) but transferred unobtainable ones to digital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Love 50s Buick’s so rainman , good film too.

 

The 1988 film Rainman featured the Sequoiah Cream 1949 Roadmaster convertible.

 

 

Sorry now, that I passed on her twin sister needing modest assistance last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

 

The 1988 film Rainman featured the Sequoiah Cream 1949 Roadmaster convertible.

 

 

Sorry now, that I passed on her twin sister needing modest assistance last year.

Yes thanks knew it was a 49 and set me on my quest to eventually buy a 53 Buick special convertible , loved it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I also like Ford vs. Ferrari,  I liked Pearl Harbor with the extensive footage of the 41 Buick Convertible Sedan...though it was a bit hard to believe a couple farm kids could afford a car like that. 

My all time favorite though has to be Rendezvous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

My favorite car scene is in a non-car movie...O Brother, Where Art Thou?  The boys are rescued by a center-door T crashing through the burning barn, driven by a kid wearing a leather aviator helmet and sitting on a couple Ward's catalogs (remember those?) with wood blocks strapped to his feet to reach the pedals.  🤣

 

306592499_OBrother.jpg.75c7c49018d5705cae49dd5704a957ec.jpg

Never seen the movie but sounds like a scene from Indiana Jones that came out a few years earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The Great Race" sure got my interest in early automobiles started. I was 7 when this came out but I wanted to see that instead of Mary Poppins. "Paper Moon" got me to buy my first car and restoration project, a 1931 Model Ford Business Coupe when I was 14.

 

Kurt M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There seems to be several types of movies, films specifically about automotive story lines, old films that had a lot of cars that were new at the making of the film, and recently made films depicting the past, either way they are all good!

 

What about the Blues Brothers? Great chase scene at the end

 

and I am surprised nobody mentioned Smoky and the Bandit yet 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

"Hot Rod" had an alternate title which I can't find right now.   An under the radar movie with about 10% of the production quality of American Graffiti but still worth watching if only for the Willys...

 

 

"Rebel of the Road"

 

Yeah, but I doubt it had the budget of American Graffiti

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Worlds Fastest Indian is a must see... they say the true story is even better.   The only movie my Mom ever recommended to me

image.thumb.png.8c61bbf92e0cee0f5d11559b15df2a78.png

 

image.thumb.png.6fcfad2acd317e3e6a9b99b965b543f7.png

I always wanted to go to SpeedWeek at Bonneville.  I figured that if Burt could travel from down under, the least that

I could do was travel from Pennsylvania to Utah.  so in 2010 I finally made it.  Big mistake,  I was hooked.

came home and built a 56 Corvette Landspeed racer and raced it for the next three years at Bonneville and other

Landspeed events.  It was Burt Monroe’s fault.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I saw Hot rod or a small clip of it when I was probably 10 years old.  I think I finally found the whole movie again when I had finished building my own hot rod and found it at a vendors booth on VHS at a car show, probably atleast 15 years later.   Similar story with The California Kid.  Lucked out on that one.  I happened to sit down to eat lunch one day and turned on the TV when we had about 10 channels and They were playing the opening credits.  Got to see the whole movie.  Then took another 5 to find it on DVD.  Of course now with the net,  it's easy to find stuff like that. 

 

It was much harder for car guys to get their fix in pre internet days. I remember when the only car related program was I think my classic car with Dennis Gage on Sunday mornings at like 9 or 10 AM.  Might have even been PBS. 

 

Both Hot Rod and The California Kid are free on YouTube:

 

 

 

American Graffiti also is on, but it's rent or buy.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Never seen the movie but sounds like a scene from Indiana Jones that came out a few years earlier.

 

Here's the barn scene - T shows up at 2:03.  You may want to skip ahead to there so you don't have to watch them blow up a 37 Chev paddy wagon.  😭  Full movie is rent or buy on YouTube.

 

 

Supposedly the movie was inspired by/based on Homer's Odyssey - watch it if you get the chance, it's hilarious.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"I am surprised nobody mentioned Smoky and the Bandit yet  "

Posted yesterday, am I blocked ?
"Have collections of "Smokey and the Bandit" (original is quintessential American spirit though had to "import" Olympia to Florida also)".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...