What’s Your Favorite Automobile Related Movie?

Angelfish

For very old cars, a Darraq and a Spyker, I like the British film from 1953, Genevieve.  

And for a fun bootleg chase there's 43 The Petty Story.  The first 12 mins. show a bootleg chase with a 46 Plymouth being chased by a 46 Chrysler Windsor business coupe.  

41 minutes ago, marcapra said:

For very old cars, a Darraq and a Spyker, I like the British film from 1953, Genevieve.  

I sat in "Genevieve" in 1973. At that time it was in a Museum on the Gold Coast of Australia. My wife was with me, it was on our honeymoon, she wasn't as impressed with the car as I was.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

Could mention "Stroker Ace" but the movie is best avoided. Free would be a waste. Read the book "Stand on It" instead, is much better and is maybe the great American racing novel. Haven't seen a Stroker Ace comic strip for years.

ps if you do not know who Bill Neely was you weren't a racer in the 60s.

• 1 year later...

It was Spielberg's first, I think made for TV. I remember watching it when I was in 9th grade and the junior high school was buzzing about it next day.

I have to admit "Duel" unnerved me. I had a childhood fear of semi trucks. When I was seven a fuel tanker caught fire about a quarter mile from my house.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:47 AM, Pfeil said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned " Death Proof" Oh my!

That has to be the ultimate old car butchery movie (as well as more conventional kinds of butchery.) I saw it years ago, and is one of the reasons I'm not a Tarantino fan.

I am a Kurt Russel fan, though. Outstanding actor, IMO. I liked him better in the movie Used Cars (though that has an old car wreck, too.)

15 hours ago, John348 said:

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would wake it. I came upon the 1971 Film Duel on TV last night with Dennis Weaver, I never realized that this was a Spielberg film. 

This 1970 Valiant stood it's ground in this one

https://youtu.be/SutDTIhbQ2g

I have watched Duel two or three times and have yet to know the reason, if there was one, the truck driver was after the car. 

Ben

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, rocketraider said:

It was Spielberg's first, I think made for TV. I remember watching it when I was in 9th grade and the junior high school was buzzing about it next day.

I have to admit "Duel" unnerved me. I had a childhood fear of semi trucks. When I was seven a fuel tanker caught fire about a quarter mile from my house.

His first movie is credited as Sugarland Express released in '74. He made a couple of made for tv movies before Duel. He also directed an early episode of Columbo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I have watched Duel two or three times and have yet to know the reason, if there was one, the truck driver was after the car. 

Ben

Ben, I've been wondering the same thing the last 50-some years! 

I think that may have been the point. Same as Hitchcock never revealed why "The Birds" attacked a sleepy coastal town. Probably a cautionary tale- "this COULD happen".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My

Favorite Movie of all time...."TIN MEN" starring  Richard Dreyfuss, Danny DeVito, and Barbara Hershey.

A Comedy, A Love Story, and an eye opening treatise on the heartbreaks of Commission Salesmanship.

it is a good primer for any one considering a career in the home improvement biz.

set in early 60's Baltimore this movie is just loaded with 50's Big Finned Cadillacs...

and one lowly Corvair... as well as a solitary VW Beetle just at the end.

( BeBe think those will ever catch on ?    Tilley :  Nah ! they're too ugly... )

I also nominate "Greased Lightning"  starring Richard Pryor as a small town dirt track

Jalopy racer who eventually makes it to NASCAR's Grand National league.

It is loosely based on the real life story of Wendell Scott the first Black driver to win a top Nascar Event.

Another  movie not really car based but with a traveling genre is

"The Road to Perdition" starring Tom Hanks as a rich guy's enforcer,

especially telling is the scene with the brass spilling out

of a Tommy Gun ..it certainly gives it a period flavor of the hard times  the 30's mid west.

Edited by Tailfins Forever
sPeLlI (see edit history)
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tailfins Forever said:

My

Favorite Movie of all time...."TIN MEN" starring  Richard Dreyfuss, Danny DeVito, and Barbara Hershey.

A Comedy, A Love Story, and an eye opening treatise on the heartbreaks of Commission Salesmanship.

it is a good primer for any one considering a career in the home improvement biz.

set in early 60's Baltimore this movie is just loaded with 50's Big Finned Cadillacs...

( BeBe think those will ever catch on ?    Tilley :  Nah ! they're too ugly... )

I also nominate "Greased Lightning"  starring Richard Pryor as a small town dirt track

It is loosely based on the real life story of Wendell Scott the first Black driver to win a top Nascar Event.

of a Tommy Gun ..it certainly gives it a period flavor of the hard times  the 30's mid west.

Road to Perdition is a great one, for sure. Love the scene where they are on the road and painting their Buick in a barn to throw off their enemies. Makes you wonder about all the "original paint" cars...

It isn't the best movie ever, but Lawless has a lot of great cars. Also, not strictly a car movie, but After the Thin Man has a great open Packard featured prominently (and Myrna Loy, who makes everything better). 

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)

On 2/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, Tailfins Forever said:

My

Tin Men is a great movie. The result of the kind of sales tactics depicted in the movie resulted in one of the tougher states in the country to get a home improvement license. 

On 2/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, Tailfins Forever said:

and one lowly Corvair.

Watch it again. The Corvair clubs around Baltimore were involved in the filming. Lots are background cars. Then there is Mr. Bentwrench's  blue rusty Corvair convertible near the end.