Latest E Bay nonsense

Zimm63

Has anyone signed up for Managed Pay?  Looks like EBay's latest trick is to intercept payment by the buyer, hold it for several days to ensure their fees are collected up front, and then send it to your bank account directly.   They want your DOB and last 4 of your ssn to boot, so as to comply with "legal" requirements.  

Looking at the payout schedule, if you sell an item on a Thursday, with the buyer paying immediately, the earliest EBay will send payment is the following Monday, with a warning that it may take an additional 1-3 days for your bank to credit the account.  Thats a week total.  

Meanwhile, the buyer expects shipping shortly after payment.  Nope, don't think so.  

I am not a business, but have been using EBay to dispose of some unneeded parts that have accumulated over the years.  Been doing so for quite a while, with no issues.   Now, I will have to remember to add language to each listing informing potential buyers that there will be a 7 day hold on shipment so as to ensure payment is received.

Hadn't sold anything for the last several months and have to agree to the new scheme to sell again.  

Seriously?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

Has anyone signed up for Managed Pay?  Looks like EBay's latest trick is to intercept payment by the buyer, hold it for several days to ensure their fees are collected up front, and then send it to your bank account directly.   They want your DOB and last 4 of your ssn to boot, so as to comply with "legal" requirements.  

Looking at the payout schedule, if you sell an item on a Thursday, with the buyer paying immediately, the earliest EBay will send payment is the following Monday, with a warning that it may take an additional 1-3 days for your bank to credit the account.  Thats a week total.  

Meanwhile, the buyer expects shipping shortly after payment.  Nope, don't think so.  

I am not a business, but have been using EBay to dispose of some unneeded parts that have accumulated over the years.  Been doing so for quite a while, with no issues.   Now, I will have to remember to add language to each listing informing potential buyers that there will be a 7 day hold on shipment so as to ensure payment is received.

Hadn't sold anything for the last several months and have to agree to the new scheme to sell again.  

Seriously?  

I agree totally, just think of the interest they are making floating every transaction for 7 days!  I have been doing the same thing as you, just thinning out stuff I will never use and trying to things on, cause I know when I go it will mostly get tossed. Ebay, unfortunately is the only show in town. I just got done opening up another checking account for the new Ebay rules. I am going to do the same as you and ad to my description "will not ship until ebay pays the money that you paid ebay, sorry"  

• Like 1

I sell on their daily and was forced into managed payments.  I don't like that when you sell alot of volume and run tabs for customers for up to a month to begin with, the added delays in managed payments make you never know what's going to be in your account or when.  Even when you have a good night in sales, as mentioned it's a week before you even have access to your funds to make purchases of more inventory to sell.  Good thing I have a good cushion built up.  

I don't like how they take fees out at the time of payment,  then still hit you with a monthly bill as well, (mine still runs almost $400) set up to my Pay pal account which doesn't ever have money come into it anymore unless I add it,  which also takes 7 days to go from my bank account pay pal. 

I also find it annoying I have to select on every invoice I send,  that I accept pay pal, yet no money will ever go there.  Why does it matter if the customer isn't paying anything into my pay pal? 

I believe the new 1099 is going to be on anyone collecting more than $600 a year.  Pay pal I believe was 20 grand on a 1099 or 200 transactions. 

They have been having a bunch of technical issues lately as well as a major search problem that won't let me refines any searches to ebay motors.  It's not even listed as an option anywhere.  Not like something you could easily overlook as a programmer.  I have complained a few times,  but they don't care.  So I stopped searching for those items.  Great for the sellers as they are getting less hits and prices are probably remaining low as I'm sure it's not happening to only me. 

8 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

maybe this will result in a slight resurgence of auto swap meets; or, try using Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace

Maybe for some, for me swap meets as a seller are just too much work for the return,  a lot of overhead, and getting nickeled and dimed all day gets played out

• Like 3

I agree that any method of selling uses a lot of a person's free time.  I've donated car literature to the Detroit Public Library's Automotive History Collection, and they sell duplicates to buy other items they don't have.  The AACA library does the same thing, and I've gotten some stuff from them as well.

The Early Ford V8 Foundation in Auburn, Indiana accepts parts, manuals, brochures.  They don't necessarily have to be Ford items.  But contact them first to see if they are interested.  They sell these items on Ebay (okay, sorry!) and in their half-scale Ford Rotunda's store.

The Latest Museum News (fordv8foundation.org)      

• Like 1

If anyone is selling sales literature and doesn't quite want to get to the donating it point, but doesn't want to mess with ebay and setting up with managed payment's, I'm still buying it, especially in lots. A box full to thousands of pieces,  not a problem.  (sorry for the plug, couldn't resist) 

Provided we have Hershey this year and by some great Miracle they have a Library sale I'll buy it there if you donate it to them.  I really missed them not having their sale last year as the prior year was the first I ever attended.  I think I walked out with $700 worth of bag lots and then bought a couple more off ebay from the Library that didn't sell at the sale.  (must have missed them when I was there) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John348 said:

just think of the interest they are making floating every transaction for 7 days!  

My first thought too John!

This is change-up is ENTIRELY greed driven.  Oink! oink!

I've found sellers are leaving in droves on every web site I use, regardless of what product they sell.  I am a member of many antiques sites, radios, art, vintage lighting, books, literature, tiki, old watches, etc. and various other products completely unrelated to automotive.  They are ALL pulling out of selling on eBay.

I would think that this is just about the perfect window for someone else to pop open a brand new, user fee friendly and WAY less intrusive online selling house; which I'm sure is exactly what's going to happen.  

I have also sold many items on eBay for the last 18 years, a dozen cars, many smaller items.  As soon as this new access to my bank account and SS number was asked for, I was finished selling at that venue for good.

They seem to have a "hog at the trough" monopoly mentality, which is usually the undoing of any corporation that thinks it's "too big too fail".

eBay has been hacked so many times I cannot believe anyone would give them this personal info.

Hang in there guys, a change is in the air.

Greg

hog.jpg.a4186d1e23b8d2896e53080cd793da7e.jpg

I haven't sold anything on E-Bay for awhile and am glad my restoration project is nearing completion.  I still look at vintage parts and accessories for my car and occasionally find something I will buy.  If they keep putting pressure on sellers on of the best places to look for a universe of stuff will dry up and become worthless.  You can screw all the people some of the time and some of the people some of the time but you can't screw all the people all of the time.  Makes sens if you don;t think about it.

Use a credit card.. Just open a complaint. They will work with you...

I sold a part for 150.00

They told me I save 111.00 on fees??

Wow I lost 50.00 in fees and to ship it.. cost 161.00??

If I payed the fees I would of been better off putting it in the trash.. FYI... 111.00 to eBay and 50 to eBay and pay pal.. 161.00

My parts sold for 150.00.. I did not get charged the 111.00. but  it could of happen..

saved.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I have not sold anything on e-bay for a long time but was going to start cleaning out my parts and offer them on e-bay.  I will not be doing this now with all the extra time it will take to do what they want.  I will still shop on e-bay but will no longer be selling there.

I sold infrequently on Ebay and had a couple items on when they began this latest scheme.  I declined and they then stopped my ability to modify anything on the one item left.

I have noticed that the number of items I usually scan daily has dropped considerably from 6-7 pages of items to about 2. 

UPDATE:   I just went to Ebay to cancel the one listing I have and found that I was now able to modify the listing.

I believe that Ebay is reacting to a huge loss in customers due to their new policy.  The Studebaker area I mentioned above had only 1.5 pages of new items.

Edited by SMB (see edit history)

10 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Where is the guy that always chimes in now and tells us well you don't like it you are free to leave?   

In 3 - 2 - 1 

Well if you don’t like it you’re free to leave!  Couldn’t resist the bait 😀.  

As the biggest dog in the business they sure get to call the shots. Maybe the car auction guys would want to open a parts and literature sideline too?

• Haha 1

I’ve bought a few literature items from Etsy.  It’s the old fashioned model, the seller posts items at $$$ price, you can contact them and make an offer if you want, then you and the seller make the deal happen.  No auction format for seeing how much some one is willing to pay.  Downside is selection is quite limited.

I start all mine super cheap.  Almost everything starts at 2.99 with no reserve. Sold a salesman's data book for a 60 or 61 Comet 2 days ago for 7.00.  Ouch.  But hey I make it on something else I was going to round file ,so in the end it all pans out.  I hate setting prices.  I like the customers doing it,  then i don't feel one bit guilty if something sells for $100, as I really hate overcharging people when I have to set the price.  The auction format works for that.  I wish someone else would start an auction site for guys just like me that like the market to set price whatever it may be.  I can say at the end of the week, 99% of what I list sells so it's gone and i don't have a ton of inventory hanging around waiting for a sucker to come along.  That encourages me to buy more lots and list those.  Keeps the inventory fresh and customers coming back day after day. 

Ebay is also losing followers in droves both buyers and sellers with their current policy to ban a children's book that seems to have suddenly become offensive to a limited few.  I have seen several people say they were leaving over it.  You can confirm it by looking in the community section which is their forums for buyer's and sellers.  One of my customers said he was leaving.  

Also sucks when they take up sides on things they should stay out of as there are boycotts called for of their site.  The problem with that is unlike some retailers ebay is made up of individual sellers that are affected and don't have any say in these policies.  So yeah you may be hurting ebay for a few bucks in revenue,  you are really crippling the sellers that had no say and often don't agree with those policies.  We just get to suffer the fallout.  

It's like they are trying to flush the toilet on their business and grabbing the plunger to make sure they finish it off. 

My wife’s employer is a small family run business that sell replacement parts for lawn and garden equipment on both eBay and Amazon.  She is one of the contact persons for returns and shipping problems.  If you don’t like eBay then you really wouldn’t like Amazon and how they handle things.

I’ve bought a few things on eBay, never sold anything there.  If you look on this AACA site I currently have my collection of MoPar shop and parts manual listed in the Chrysler for sale section and yesterday I posted a big Carter carburetor binder full of carb data from 1930s to 1955-57 in the Parts for Sale section with a link to the Printed Materials for sale section.  It’s easier for me to do this than eBay and so far everything I sold here has gone smooth so far.

• Like 1

I’ve stopped selling on EBay, and I’ve been on it almost from the first.  Fees, shipping, the 1099-k was the last straw.

Still have lots to get rid of, will set up at Hershey, but that sells some, and the low ball offers do get tiresome.

Oh well....

I just heard of a site called everythingbutthehouse.com where every auction listing starts at $1.00. Don't know how it works but might be worth a look.   There is even an HGTV show by that name with each episode focusing on one family's selling experience.  

Blame the right people, E bay provides the platform and manages the sale, its PayPal that does the money and they are separate.   You haven't lived until you try to complain to a person on Paypal, Ebay you can call and speak to somebody, PayPal makes it impossible on purpose.

I've sold on ebay in the past but at this point I'd rather have the last of my teeth pulled. I do buy occasionally although as a brass car guy I find about 90% of the asking prices pure fantasy and, truth to tell, I don't even look as often now because it's a waste of time. I do find it useful for industrial stuff...things like odd size end mills, reamers and taps. These are items that are often very expensive new but have a very limited market. Thus far, many of the sellers realize that if they want to sell it, the price has to be attractive.

My favorite ebay stupidity are the "rare" electric Cadillac cowel lights. I think everyone that junked a teens Cadillac kept the cowel lights - there must be 10 sets for every surviving car and yet the sellers, who usually know nothing about old cars, keep asking silly prices....others are the 6-cylinder magnetos for an "Indian motorcycle" or the brass updraft carbs for your rat rod...as if anyone building one of those contraptions is using a period engine. - then we have the updrafts photographed upside down because the seller thinks the flange should be on the bottom. It has just gotten tiresome. I have lots of odd parts around the shop but at this point I'd rather give them away than sell on ebay.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ojh said:

You haven't lived until you try to complain to a person on Paypal, 

Do they also have "that strange, untraceable accent"?  :lol:

"Heelo my neem is Robert. How kin I hilp you todee?

The only thing I'm sure of is that his real name is not Robert.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Do they also have "that strange, untraceable accent"?  :lol:

"Heelo my neem is Robert. How kin I hilp you todee?

The only thing I'm sure of is that his real name is not Robert.

That was when Paypal was good enough to respond, now they make it impossible.  I mean that, you can't speak to anybody in Paypal.  Thier 'Contact' section is circular where you click on a link for contact and then you have several options that you already exhausted in order to get where you are, when you choose any of them you are brought back to the 'Contact' page where you started from.  There is a telephone number that when dialed you get a message 'due to unusually high demand there is an extended wait time' and you are referred to the 'Contact' link at the website.  It is done like this on purpose.

25 minutes ago, ojh said:

That was when Paypal was good enough to respond, now they make it impossible.  I mean that, you can't speak to anybody in Paypal.  Thier 'Contact' section is circular where you click on a link for contact and then you have several options that you already exhausted in order to get where you are, when you choose any of them you are brought back to the 'Contact' page where you started from.  There is a telephone number that when dialed you get a message 'due to unusually high demand there is an extended wait time' and you are referred to the 'Contact' link at the website.  It is done like this on purpose.

Ugh! :(

Actually everything is handled through ebay now with pay pal being divorced for the most part.  I don't even pay with pay pal anymore as. I have to add $$ manually and it takes a week for them to go electronically from my bank to them.  Should be under a day.  

I haven't had it happen yet but I'm told if ebay finds against you in a case they hit you with a $20 fee for handling the whole deal.  That's a bunch of crock.  That's what we pay the normal fees for, shouldn't be a surcharge as a seller for a buyer trying to rip you off.  

I wish ebay would take some of their time they spend screwing things up and find a way to make customers pay that bid on items.  That strike for nonpayment is a joke. 

One customer just ran up a $700 tab of nice stuff then didn't pay.  Now I have to open a case,  just to make sure I don't get charged all the ended listing fees.  That's around $100 in fees right now. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

So far, the best response to the managed payment was from the branch manager of my bank.

Quote "You got that in an email? They can't do that. Call Ebay and tell them they have been hacked"! End quote.

After I explained that I also thought it was SPAM, and had called ebay (I believe I spoke with Robert ;) ), and that they were doing it; the branch manager set me up with a zero balance account. As soon as Ebay transfers money in, it will be transferred to my real account. No way does ebay get my real account. Perks of banking with the same bank for 58 years.

I collect stamps and non-sports trading cards. There is now an excellent (far better than ebay) stamp auction site, and a new non-sports cards auction site that is getting better with every auction.

Maybe someone will start an auto parts auction site???

Jon

• Like 1

Let me know when there is a comparable literature site.  I'll give it a go.  

I have even been searching for sites to buy literature from but haven't had much luck short of the random listing on Craigslist and Facebook,  which I search nationally daily.  Anyone know of any sites without joining every make specific site on the web.  

7 hours ago, ojh said:

Blame the right people, E bay provides the platform and manages the sale, its PayPal that does the money and they are separate.   You haven't lived until you try to complain to a person on Paypal, Ebay you can call and speak to somebody, PayPal makes it impossible on purpose.

That was the case, this new platform that E Bay is going to mandate on April 6 is cutting out paypal.

13 hours ago, John348 said:

That was the case, this new platform that E Bay is going to mandate on April 6 is cutting out paypal.

I hadn't heard, well well.  I trust Ebay's judgement, I'll assume they recognize a problem and are making an improvement.  We shall see, I have been known to be overly optimistic.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:59 PM, Zimm63 said:

I am not a business, but have been using EBay to dispose of some unneeded parts that have accumulated over the years.

I have looked at it as providing needed parts and collectibles to other automotive hobbyists. I quit buying garage accumulations a few years ago. I list very few items now. And it is mainly because it is not fun due to Ebay and shipping costs. People all over the world were quite happy with my modest contribution over the past two decades.

SO, if you can't source an elusive part for your project think of the guys like me and that old garage on the edge of town that was torn down. We just drove by and didn't even stop to check out the stash of parts that went to the mismanaged recycler/dump.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, ojh said:

I trust Ebay's judgement, I'll assume they recognize a problem and are making an improvement.

First thing you learn as a seller and often buyer, this is a wildly optimistic statement at best. 

Ebay seems to have a wonderful ability at doing stuff to screw things up.  Of all changes I have seen and even contacted ebay about issues,  few seem to have any benefit to me.  I do however get wonderful graphs that tell me my sales suck at times.  No kidding sherlock,  my bank account told me that before your graph.  The nice lady (not being sarcastic as she tried to be as helpful as possible) even told me that there were ways to customize the page to customize that page, which resulted in just hiding the graph.  There really weren't alot of ways to customize the page. 

I've been complaining to them about multiple changes that have caused problems and even with work orders being created to fix the problems,  they never did. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ojh said:

I hadn't heard, well well.  I trust Ebay's judgement, I'll assume they recognize a problem and are making an improvement.  We shall see, I have been known to be overly optimistic.

Trust Ebay's judgment?????

No disrespect meant, but if you are looking for a bridge............................................... ;)

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Although I've never sold anything through eBay, in the past I had been a frequent buyer, and usually used U.S. Postal money orders, and occasionally PayPal, for my transactions.  Is the new "Managed Pay" system the only way to pay for an item now?

Cheers,

Grog

You don't have to offer it,  but there is nothing ebay can do to stop them from paying that way.  As I said a couple of customers do it with me because they are sick of both Pay pal and Ebay controlling everything and creating new ways to implement more fees.  One is actually a seller on ebay as well.  Can't blame them especially after ebay sticks you on a sale or two that you did everything you were suppose to. 

I do online payment for the convenience.  Used to get a couple of payments a month before they forced everyone into pay pal years ago,  then now to managed payments. 

I quit selling on eBay when they started taking a cut of the shipping charges.

This latest "Mis-managed Pay" baloney has eliminated ANY thoughts of ever selling on that platform.

I'll keep using individual forums and bring a big pile to Hershey. 

I've looked for alternative auction sites.

Might have to try Bonanza.com, ebth.com or webstore.com

• Thanks 1