Volomobile and the New York Motor Vehicle Company

Terry Bond

I recently acquired this little advertising book.  It is 1 3/4" wide and 3" in length. It's like a small notebook except the tear-out pages inside are "soap paper."  If you tear out a sheet and wet it, you'll have a sheet of tissue paper that has soap on it and can be used to wash your hands.  Neat item, but it was the advertising that intrigued me.  

It's an advertising piece for the New York Motor Vehicle Company and their new steam powered Volomobile automobile.  Here is what I've been able to learn so far about the company.

The company was founded in Jersey City, NJ in the summer of 1900 . PH Flynn served as President, Frederick C. Cochen  served as Vice President, P. Sherwood Dunn served as Secretary and Treasurer, and Thomas F. Flynn served as General Manager and Design Engineer. Thomas Flynn also ran a mechanical workshop in Brooklyn. They started developing automobiles. Production only started in 1902. The brand name was Volomobile . The plan was to manufacture the vehicles at the Worcester Cycle Works in Middletown, CT, but instead, the cars were assembled in Brooklyn. Production ended in 1902. In total, only a few vehicles were built.

Source for this info is the Standard Catalog of American Cars by Beverly Rae Kimes and Henry Austin Clark, Jr.  There is a photograph in that reference that very closely resembles the drawing shown on this little booklet.

Curious if there is any other information available - other photos, literature, advertising material, etc.? 

Thanks

Terry

Volomobile New York Motor Vehicle Company 1901.jpg

• Like 1