1947 Chrysler Town and Country - Dumbest Question Ever

All, I am the proud new owner of a 1947 Chrysler Town and Country and just took delivery of the car from the Mecum auction in Arizona. The car came with little information, but I have a really dumb question. How do I remove the gas cap? I can not for the life of me get it off.

That's an electric gas cap--really!  I had one on a 1947 DeSoto Suburban.  Look somewhere around your driver's seat area for a small push button (mine was black, about half an inch in diameter).  Could be under the dash to the left of the steering wheel, or on floor between the seat edge and the door.  The button is *usually* hot all the time, meaning that you don't need to turn the key on.  When you push the button, a spring throws the cap open, on a hinge, so it remains tethered.  To close, just push the cap down against the spring until it latches.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Grimy said:

That's an electric gas cap--really!  I had one on a 1947 DeSoto Suburban.  Look somewhere around your driver's seat area for a small push button (mine was black, about half an inch in diameter).  Could be under the dash to the left of the steering wheel, or on floor between the seat edge and the door.  The button is *usually* hot all the time, meaning that you don't need to turn the key on.  When you push the button, a spring throws the cap open, on a hinge, so it remains tethered.  To close, just push the cap down against the spring until it latches.

Wow, we learn something new every day! That's wild, an electric gas cap.........never heard of one, and I'm not exactly a spring chicken. :)

Was this an official MoPar accessory? 

29 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Wow, we learn something new every day! That's wild, an electric gas cap.........never heard of one, and I'm not exactly a spring chicken. :)

Was this an official MoPar accessory? 

Yes.

gas cap.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This nifty accessory gas cap was sold under the "Snap-Up" brand name and was available at retail auto parts stores. It was also available from auto dealers where it was packaged in boxes with the auto manufacturer's brand name. Once properly installed, its operated by depressing a small push-button (momentary contact) switch which is usually mounted under the dash.

216432.JPG

Black push button:

image.png.1fecd80cc0c946a1d30e35ad881b1861.png

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1