lowering power windows with no wiring on 65

I'm in the process of putting my 65 back together. It was someone else's project I bought. I need to lower the windows to put the new weather stripping on but, wiring is out of it. Only unplugged not cut up. I plugged in top wiring harness and tried connecting red wire that goes to the horn relay (i figured that's where the hot wire connects so..) to + on battery ,grounded battery. Nothing. There has got to be a way to do this. What part of the harness do I need to power up? Also plugged in driver window switch and rear switches to possibly make a circuit.

Does this make sense the way I explained it? 

If someone knows which prong to jump to on the switch, would that work.

thanks Joey

Hi Joey,

Hard to tell what you have in tact without pics. Just an FYI...the power windows get battery power from a circuit breaker that is mounted behind the drivers side kick panel. As I stated, without pics I`m not sure what you have between the battery and that circuit breaker but you could always use a jumper between the "+" on a temporary battery and that breaker, ground the "-" of the battery to the car body and if the rest of the power window harness is installed you should get the approriate response from the switches.

There are other ways to supply power, or power each motor from the individual switches, but if you jumper the battery to the system breaker and ground to the car body providing power to the whole system, you wont have to move around with jumper wires to each individual window.

Tom Mooney

Put the 12 volt power wire on one of the two terminals coming out of the motor & another wire to the other terminal to a ground. The window will go up or down. Now switch the two wires & the window will do the opposite.  IF for some reason I'm mentioning this wrong (old age & memory) you will get a healthy spark when you touch/connect the ground or 12 volt supply wire. A momentary spark (short) will do NO HARM to the window motor other than mainly give you a scare. Then what needs to be done is to not ground the opposite terminal just ground the motor & with the 12 volt jumper wire on either terminal coming out of the motor & the window will operate.  Again, now just switch the one wire from one terminal to the next & the motor will go the opposite way.

Tom T.

• Like 1

If Telriv's method is too scary, try this. The window motor grounds to the chassis/body/frame;  attach your negative wire to the body of the motor.  One wire is up, the other is down' connect your + wire to either wire to move the window.  I've used 12Volt batteries from power tools to move windows and sunroofs.  Try cleaning the tracks some before trying to move windows that have decades of built up gunk in the tracks.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
21 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Joey,

Hard to tell what you have in tact without pics. Just an FYI...the power windows get battery power from a circuit breaker that is mounted behind the drivers side kick panel. As I stated, without pics I`m not sure what you have between the battery and that circuit breaker but you could always use a jumper between the "+" on a temporary battery and that breaker, ground the "-" of the battery to the car body and if the rest of the power window harness is installed you should get the approriate response from the switches.

There are other ways to supply power, or power each motor from the individual switches, but if you jumper the battery to the system breaker and ground to the car body providing power to the whole system, you wont have to move around with jumper wires to each individual window.

Tom Mooney

I think this is the way to try. All wiring inside is intact, the harnesses from the firewall in the engine compartment are unplugged. I'll look for the breaker, is it the only one in there?