1948 Shifter Collar Removal?

John_Mc

Hi all, I need to remove and rebuild the gear shifter collar on my ‘48 Continental.  Any tips or shortcuts?  I know this is a big job, but I’ve go to do it.  Do I have to remove the entire steering column?  Sure hope not

824165EE-0AB1-49E3-AF0F-A916EA151DBD.jpeg

Well, I took it off and now I need to know how to rebuild it.  Also, seems like the bracket is too loose on the shaft.  Outside of taking it to a machine shop, are parr’s available for these?  Thanks to anyone who responds.

27879867-81DA-4866-9A6A-77FF06931FE7.jpeg

1A6CBE7A-1E6B-4C5E-9CB3-C49048F0D451.jpeg

CE2B0CD3-E51C-46D3-B361-60E6D937E596.jpeg

B03806BE-4327-428B-97D8-7B1E5C0D7E45.jpeg

Give Chris a call or email at Boos Harell Lincoln parts in Ohio.  Other vendors might have one, I think it's not easily to repair with the wear on the collar and shaft.  Also Merv Atkins out in Pomona California has a wrecking yard of old Lincolns, he might have a usable shifter to replace yours. He's on the Lincoln Zephyr Owner's Club website for contact information.    A machine shop could shim the unit to tighten up the play if you can't find a usable one.  I doubt there are any NOS ones after some 80 years, and most off of other vehicles will probably be worn too.  Can't hurt to check with a reliable machine shop as to the repairs of your unit.  The other issue is the wear on the steering shaft that is a bear to remove to do a better fit with the shifter unit.  Good luck!

On 3/26/2021 at 3:13 PM, Ray500 said:

Give Chris a call or email at Boos Harell Lincoln parts in Ohio.  Other vendors might have one, I think it's not easily to repair with the wear on the collar and shaft.  Also Merv Atkins out in Pomona California has a wrecking yard of old Lincolns, he might have a usable shifter to replace yours. He's on the Lincoln Zephyr Owner's Club website for contact information.    A machine shop could shim the unit to tighten up the play if you can't find a usable one.  I doubt there are any NOS ones after some 80 years, and most off of other vehicles will probably be worn too.  Can't hurt to check with a reliable machine shop as to the repairs of your unit.  The other issue is the wear on the steering shaft that is a bear to remove to do a better fit with the shifter unit.  Good luck!

Thanks Ray, I ordered a good used one from Chris on Friday along with Tywin good used arms.