Option on RideTech Air ride suspension

TerryH

Hi Guys, Looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with the RideTech air ride for the Buicks. My 63 Lesabre needs rear springs and shocks all the way around. So it's time to decide if I go air ride or stick with normal suspension. I am leaning towards Air ride so far. I would probably put together my own air supply system. Only because I have a lot of knowledge pneumatic systems and have access to components and will cost me far less. I like that there is little modification required to fit these bags.  I will link the ones I am looking at. any info will be appreciated.

https://www.ridetech.com/product/air-suspension-system-for-61-64-buick/ 

Thank you

Terry H 

Just curious, what are the reasons for air ride?  Smooother ride?  Better handling?  Varying ride heights?

Smoother ride -- more a function of shock absorber choice than type of spring

Better handling -- more a function of shock absorber choice, sway bar size, and the condition of ALL rubber suspension bushing stiffness and condition

Varying ride heights -- just desire the correct ride height or to imcorporate some sort of automatic leveling system?

Personally, I'd aim for OEM-spec HD suspension springs, a good HD shock (I keep hearing "KYB" in other forums), upgrade to front and rear sway bars, and replace ALL rubber bushings in the front and rear suspension.  Get a good front end alignment (with toe-in as close to "0" as your tech is comfortable with, caster toward the max-spec, camber close to "0", too).  This way, should the necessity or desire to sell the car years later, it will be saleable to a much broader spectrum of possible owners, rather than a niche customer who might desire an air ride system.  I can be a purist, but I also understand the financial side of things, too.  Plus future maintenance and such.  Which can also mean that the money you don't spend on the air ride, you can spend elsewhere on the car to make it better to look at and drive.

I'm not against air ride, knowing that GM had some systems in the later '50s and the rear or many Lincoln Town Cars have air bags, too.  Just that they will usually need some things that an auto supply might not be able to provide, as the years progress.  IF you do decide to go that direction, be sure to get a few extra bags for when one might "go" when you're away from home.  The cars are no fun to drive bouncing off of the bump stops, plus don't look too good in that mode, either.

I've seen owners modify their pickups with the air tanks, pumps, etc. and when it's all done, it looks nice.  But not something that is really driven daily, either.  Or will be completely trouble-free as time progresses.  Never see those vehicles after that, by observation.

Granted, GM and Ford coil spring suspension vehicles are very easy to "bag", but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be.

Your money, your car, your dreams.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I'll second that it depends on what you're looking for. A spring is a spring whether it's air or coil. High quality shocks are where you get a lot of bang for your buck. The system you're showing has shocks that are only adjustable for rebound. If I had $1,800 to spend on suspension, I'd buy OEM springs and spend the rest on more adjustable shocks. This assumes that you're looking for ride quality and better handling. You also don't have to give up real estate for a pump system. 

16 hours ago, TerryH said:

Hi Guys, Looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with the RideTech air ride for the Buicks. My 63 Lesabre needs rear springs and shocks all the way around. So it's time to decide if I go air ride or stick with normal suspension. I am leaning towards Air ride so far. I would probably put together my own air supply system. Only because I have a lot of knowledge pneumatic systems and have access to components and will cost me far less. I like that there is little modification required to fit these bags.  I will link the ones I am looking at. any info will be appreciated.

https://www.ridetech.com/product/air-suspension-system-for-61-64-buick/ 

Thank you

Terry H 

That looks like a neat system.  If you go that direction let us know how it works.

• Thanks 1

That car sold for a premium price with the original design in 1963. It had to ride very well. You should get a ride in a well maintained original and compare it to an equal sized car riding on air before you decide. The experience should be enlightening.