48 Lin Radiator Installation/?

Cokekid

Th The engine was still in the car. Removed the fan and distributor. After many attempt's we realized that the radiator has to be held over the engine and then lowered on a slant down into it's place.

After a few times in and out due to the fact the lower hoses should have be connected first. More time was spent trying to connect the bottom hoses.

The real fun continues when I try to connect the fan. 

Just when I thought every thing was going along great. I run into this problem. The rad was connected with the two bottom bolts, one one each side, I then attached all the hoses. The last piece to connect was the front shroud.

Here is were the problem is. When I went to install the fan blade I was unable to set it in place as the blade almost touched the Radiator.

Here are a few photos of were the fan rests.

1332045366_LINSHOULD03837.JPG.79658a870776d3ebad7e8dda5d58add0.JPG

1506526949_LINFAN103841.JPG.668d9f0afcc16fd5178e4c60cf7ee460.JPG

360650999_LINFAN203842.JPG.7d31e5175cdc899138a5951c8e104a59.JPG

The engines transmission is bolted up also the engine mounts are also connected. The first photo shows the rad tight against the shroud.

Where am I going wrong with this problem. 

I have been through this several times,  with my '42 LC Cab. , '38 LZ Conv .Coupe and now my '48 LC Coupe. All are a real" bear "! Remove 

the top air deflection shroud. This can be installed last.  Break loose the lower bolts holding the rad,These can be tightened later. The upper rad hoses can  be moved back and forth , sliding on the upper tank outlets. Make sure the fan  plate lines up with dowels on the  fan adapter plate. The

bolts are hard to install. I had to grind down a the socket to fit. The rad can be rocked a little . On the '42 there were 2 straps that were soldered to the upper tank to help hold steady. There is not much room between the fan and the rad. I hope this helps a little  

What I've done in the past is remove the top deflection shroud and wire a piece of cardboard on the engine side of the radiator. The radiator is best installed by two persons, each one holding on to the upper radiator necks. Leave the fan in place, you may need to rotate the fan so that the radiator passes by it. The cardboard protects it so it can be tilted back to slide down. George.