My 1934 Buick

Time Traveller

Hi from what I know only 19 Built in 1934 this is  Body number 9 of 19 and currently the only know survivor of a 50  series in Australia There are 4 X 40 series coupes that I know of But only one restored but modified another Being Hot Roddered Just added another photo of a bit of Buick art

IMG20210315093757.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 7:54 AM, Buick35 said:

Very nice! I have a 35 sedan and recently purchased an old photo from e-bay of 1935 Buick police cars showing their new fleet from Austraila.If you'd like I can make you a copy and mail it to you.Greg

Here you go.

IMG_20200813_175501.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
23 minutes ago, John Greenwood said:

Yes this is my car now 

There are a few Series 50s in NZ - not very many left though as only 31 Model 57 sedans were imported plus one 56S coupe. As far as I know the coupe has survived although I have not heard of it for many years. Of course all of the Buicks sold new in NZ came from Flint, with factory Fisher bodies. Some models were locally assembled but all of the less common ones - coupes etc were imported built up.

I have a 1934 Holden body 40 series sedan which was privately imported from Oz about 1946 and was bought by my grandparents soon after. I believe there may be as many as three of them here in NZ, plus the green roadster that was imported in recent years. Unfortunately my sedan is now probably beyond economical restoration. It is all there but needs a complete body rebuild. 

Do you know of the whereabouts of this 57 sedan? It is a McLaughlin and is on wire wheels. It was sold new in UK to an NZ family who toured Europe with it before importing it to NZ. This photo was taken in 1996 not long after it was restored. Even though he did a lot himself I recall him saying he spent over $60k on it - in the 1980s! The owner took it with him to the Gold Coast not long after. He was well on in years then and suffering from emphysema (the reason for his move to Oz) and is most likely no longer with us.

34 PB7541 Buick 57 Tony Turner photo 1996.jpg

16 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I`ve often wondered, which peddle is the brake, and which is the clutch? Clutch far right?

In right hand drive cars clutch pedal on the left. Clutch-brake-accelerator 

16 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I was thinking the pedals would be just the opposite layout of left-hand drive.

Not so for cars, but I recall more than once stabbing the rear brake on my BSA in an attempt to downshift (the opposite of my Kawasaki)...  :o

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, pont35cpe said:

I`ve often wondered, which peddle is the brake, and which is the clutch? Clutch far right?

Pedal arrangement for righthand drive cars is the same as for lefthand drive cars, as I recall-

That was also the same even for my 1948 MG-TC, owned, restored, and rallyed back in the 1960s

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Pedal arrangement for righthand drive cars is the same as for lefthand drive cars, as I recall-

That was also the same even for my 1948 MG-TC, owned, restored, and rallyed back in the 1960s

The answer is yes, except that with many older models with restricted foot room the accelerator pedal is between the clutch and brake - as in my 1929 Studebaker - 

IMG_0528 (2) resize.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

We put a central pedal on the '26 Pontiac as well. Made it easier to set up, and that was what it had originally - but didn't have a door hinge in 1926.  Last time out it broke an axle but that has been fixed now.  Btw the original specs for the 1926 Pontiac list it has having a 4.18:1 rear end. My son was able to get a complete rear end from a Chevrolet to provide an axle for the Pontiac and while he had the Pontiac apart counted the rear end gears - which are 42:11 - 3.82:1, which means it may have had a Chev rear end fitted way way back in the day. It always looked as if it had never been apart.

Hadstock 18 J McD photo (2).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

The answer is yes, except that with many older models with restricted foot room the accelerator pedal is between the clutch and brake - as in my 1929 Studebaker - 

Our 1912 Oakland and 1915 Hudson have the same type configuration with the accelerator between the clutch and brake pedals

43 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Our 1912 Oakland and 1915 Hudson have the same type configuration with the accelerator between the clutch and brake pedals

As do all RHD Pierces (thru 1920) equipped with footfeed (early ones had to make do with just a hand throttle lever)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

As do all RHD Pierces (thru 1920) equipped with footfeed (early ones had to make do with just a hand throttle lever)

Sidenote -

while noted RHD Pierce thru 1920, and our 1912 Oakland were Right-Hand Drive and had the accelerator (footfeed) between the clutch and brake,

the so-equipped Hudson is Left-Hand Drive,

and our 1914 Buick had now-conventional pedal arrangement, but the 3-speed transmission shifter was the "Outlaw" or Mirror-Image of the conventional pattern.

It was some time before certain pattern became "Standard"

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, John Greenwood said:

This car is number 9 of 19 and the only known survivor car 

Hi John, congrats on your purchase. It is a lovely car that I have had the pleasure of seeing on a number of occasions. I think I even featured in some of the advertising photos when Ray had it up for sale! Do you live in Sydney? The Buick Club of NSW is always interested in having guest vehicles at its monthly meetings (3rd Thursday at 8.00pm) in Five Dock, let me know if you are interested. Cheers Paul