Ford Boyce Motometer - info and value

Hi John,

This is a Motometer which was an accessory temperature gauge on the radiator of many cars in the ‘teens and ‘20s. I don’t know anything about pricing so I can’t help you there. Here is a picture of one in operation on my 1927 Cadillac. You can barely see that the operating temperature is right on the mark at the horizontal line. This is climbing a fairly steep grade, outside temperature in the mid 90s. Cadillacs of the period ran cool. If you have overheating problems with one, something is very wrong. Start with having the radiator checked by someone who really knows old radiators. This car was overheating when I got it. About $1,100 later , it now runs cool.     -     Carl 

D7BC627E-A8E3-4497-B730-F4D2EB7724C6.jpeg

1 hour ago, John Burlingame said:

Can someone tell me exactly what this I  I  have a good idea that's a radiator cap though it stewd on  and its in  excellent condition what would something like this go for at auction

IMG_20210316_171946.jpg

IMG_20210316_172014.jpg

IMG_20210316_172014.jpg

IMG_20210316_171755.jpg

These Ford motometers have been reproduced for years.  The winged cap it's mounted on is not part of the motometer itself and is an accessory item.  Together they would have interest for someone who collects automobilia or would like to actually use it on their car.  You'll find lots of them on evil-bay but be sure to check "sold" items when searching.  There is often a big difference between asking $ and getting $ for them, and the Ford models are the most commonly found.  Look closely and you should see some red fluid in the temp gauge. 

Terry

6 hours ago, John Burlingame said:

Thanks Terry I understand the know so knows someone who needs one I've also got a woidlite headlamp for sale Just one

There was an eBay auction with three woodlights in it... maybe whoever buys it wants yours to make it two pair. 

I think both your motometer and the winged cap are recent reproductions, they are still available through the T parts vendors which would give an idea of price new, but being used and reproduction I can’t say about a resale...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John Burlingame said:

Can someone tell me exactly what this I  I  have a good idea that's a radiator cap though it stewd on  and its in  excellent condition what would something like this go for at auction

As others have posted, it's a motometer - basically a thermometer stuck in the radiator.  Dunno if it's original or repro but it's Model T Ford - the cap screws into the radiator filler neck and the Ford logo is Model T era.  New repros are <$100, e.g.,

https://www.modeltford.com/item/COMB3.aspx

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Ford Boyce Motometer - info and value

This motometer is definitely a modern reproduction, someone has sanded off the shiny chrome plating to make it look old. See photo for a genuine one. The dogbone cap may or may not be old and is a common aftermarket design, probably originally nickel plated. External threads most likely for a Model T

moto1100.JPG

Dozens of after-market companies made a large variety of radiator caps and/or bolt-on accessory wings, dog-bones, and other decorated or handled caps or attachments for the model T Ford. At least a dozen have been reproduced in significant numbers, including a winged cap like the one shown in the OP. Whether that one is an original after-market cap or a reproduction from sometime in the past sixty years? Would require eyes and hands on close examination by someone that knows the 'tells'. The same is true for the Motometer, I think both are reproduction items, but would have to see them up close to know for sure. The pyramid name-plate almost has to be reproduction, as that symbol was not used often after the mid 1910s. However, it was used some.