Variations in Chrysler Model 72 Sport Roadster Windshields

Can anyone explain why some model 72 Sport Roadsters have a one piece windshield and others have a rectangle windshield with a panel under the windshield which sits on the cowl?  Examples off the web....

Wind Var 1.jpg

Wind Var 2.jpg

Keiser31 explanation is pretty much how I understood it. This along with the fedco plate And engine no. helped me identify the remains I found a few years ago. Unfortunately I never found the chassis as I was thinking it could have made a good speedster. I have kept the Parts and some will help in the resto of my 75 I have (mechanicals). If you would like some measurements let me know. Cheers Ben

699211DE-635D-4DF9-B018-36C927EA43AA.jpeg

7032A419-2006-47CA-A701-93555928BF12.jpeg

Yeah I’m not sure if they typically had the divided windshield or not as I have seen both. I have been told that on the 1929 75 model that many Aussie ones were single piece non folding but have been change at a later date (At restoration)to more in like the USA. I’m very new to this early Chrysler stuff and I’m having great fun 🙄figuring out how the body on my 75 is supposed to be as it has been messed with so much by previous owners but at least the mechanicals are altogether and pretty straight forward 

• Haha 1

Does anyone know what that insert under the windshield is made from.  I have not had the opportunity to examine one.  It appears to be painted the color of the body with a trim band around the outside of a different color.  Is it sheet metal or glass?

What may make it less vexing is that since it's painted it could be made of wood or plastic, really anything that would be hidden once painted.  Actually what would be most helpful is the outer dimensions of the piece and the width of the border band which goes around it.  If you can, thank you so much.

Leo

Edited by leomara (see edit history)

Yeah I was thinking about it a bit last night and over the weekend I will try and do some drawings with dimensions etc, I think I may have missed a few important aspects when taking the photos. Just be patient it may take me a day or two to get back to you 

Hi Vintageben, something came up when I was discussing this.  Does this "insert" for lack of a better word fit into the bottom windshield frame which sits on the cowl and does that cowl frame have a straight piece which goes over the insert and under the rectangle windshield or does the windshield rectangle just sit on the insert?

Hi there 

I have been away for a few days in the mountains, bad mobile coverage but beautiful area hence the slow reply. So basically the bottom insert piece is what I did the plans of. I dismantled it to better understand the construction. It fits between the windscreen posts/uprights  and on those plans I have marked the screw holes that attach it to the uprights. The top frame of the insert runs parallel to the bottom of the windscreen glass and should have a rubber for sealing between it and glass. As for the windscreen glass it only has a frame that runs along the top and the two sides and secured to the windscreen post at two points. I will include a couple of photos of the windscreen posts these should be able to fold forward enabling the windscreen to fold flat so you can go really fast😁. Hopefully I make sense and have answered your question as I wasn’t totally clear as to what you were asking.

cheers Ben

BE661001-1DE5-43BB-9FA5-F1D94C35C626.jpeg

A22CF9E3-42D8-48C2-8585-7E8C2CCB5B2F.jpeg

117CBCA3-4C62-40B1-961D-8C77CB78056F.jpeg

026435DA-DB96-41B8-991D-0809C00682D5.jpeg

9EF13532-9054-45B6-AA31-FAEE4D9A3E31.jpeg

08700D5A-E6A3-4927-9C8D-28269A1545BD.jpeg