Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing video

JamesR

Hopefully you'll enjoy watching this video as much as I did. Part of the reason I liked it so much is the car, of course, but the host is about the best presenter of old high end cars that I've seen. He's a world class expert who works on this stuff for a living, and is in very high demand. I've been watching his videos for a few months now.

I remember when I was a (pre-driving) kid in school my friends and I considered this  Mercedes to be the world's most amazing car. It was back then and may still be today. I'll never see one in person, so it's nice when people make the effort to produce videos like this.

Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing - Recommissioning an Automotive Icon | Tyrrell's Classic Workshop - YouTube

• Like 1

An excellent video on these wonderful cars. Thanks for posting.

In the long distance rallies across Europe, the Gullwing was the main rival to the works Austin Healeys, especially in the late fifties and early sixties. Surprisingly the Healeys usually came out on top . The Mercedes may have been a little heavy for it's braking system, but it certainly looked good. 

• Like 1

There are a bunch of great 300SL videos on Youtube.  Such an iconic and photogenic car. There's a guy near me who owns one and brings it to car shows on occasion, and I always take a few minutes to study it.  Just stunning from every angle.  Out of reach in the seven-figure range, but wonderful to look at.

• Like 1