Rear shock serving on 35 buick

Buick35

Your `35 may be like my `36 rear shocks, they need to be removed, clamped in a vise to where you can move the arm up/down, install fluid, and work arm up/down to get the bubbles out. Try not to spill any fluid, because you need to check for any leak. If it leaks, they`ll be dry in no time, bad seals need to be replaced or most likely shocks need rebuilt.

Once you work the arm up/down it will firm up as the fluid is pumped thru valve/passages pushing the air out, then when you change direction of the arm it should be firm immediately when changing up or down movement. You will have to top off the reservoir, once you work the air out. Also the link needs to have zero slop where it attaches to both the shock arm(rubber grommet) and the lower plate. Also the fill screw on the reservoir might be tough to get loose with a screw driver i had to use vise grips to get mine loose.  Hope this helps.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

On 3/20/2021 at 11:31 PM, pont35cpe said:

Once you work the arm up/down it will firm up as the fluid is pumped thru valve/passages pushing the air out, then when you change direction of the arm it should be firm immediately when changing up or down movement. You will have to top off the reservoir, once you work the air out. Also the link needs to have zero slop where it attaches to both the shock arm(rubber grommet) and the lower plate. Also the fill screw on the reservoir might be tough to get loose with a screw driver i had to use vise grips to get mine loose.  Hope this helps.

I tried the vise grips but no luck.Finally with B-p blaster and a punch I got the cap to move.Now I just have to paint it and put it back in.Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Looking for new rear shock links for my 1936 Buick Special. The correct link broke and the not correct link (someone rigged it up) broke too. Here is picture of the only broken one I have? Any suggestions?  I also cleaned up and install new fluid in my shocks plus painted them. They don't leak!20210504_175717.jpg.e793262492e5245969a27f9ce2d81f78.jpg20210502_153558.jpg.b5c2b05eaa2265faea7caff081ce870b.jpg

Edited by Buick36-49 (see edit history)
  • Like 1