1928 Dodge Truck Jocker

Someone in Virginia, MN (up north) is offering a '28 Dodge truck, or at least the remains of one for sale on C/L. He describes it as a "Jocker". I could write the seller and ask him what he means by the word jocker, but what would be the fun in that? I'd rather hear you folks speculate:

Old 1928 Dodge truck jocker - auto parts - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)

00m0m_hb1rQEN2E2Lz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Posted (edited)

Well, I finally let curiosity get the best of me and called the seller. He's an old guy. When I asked what he meant by "jocker", he corrected my pronunciation and said "joker", like the playing card. He went on to say that was what they called old cars that were cut down to haul wood out of the forest. I went on to ask why they called them jokers, he said that he had no idea, but that's what they always called them. Maybe it was some kind of Scandinavian thing, although he didn't seem to have any particular accent. So now we know. I noticed that the left rear hub assembly has a large sprocket on the frame side, but I can't imagine that anyone would have ever converted the Dodge rear end to some sort of chain drive. I would have asked him about it, but by then I realized that I was bored and really didn't care.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

They were commonly called doodlebugs, farmers made them out of an old car as a cheap tractor, mostly Model A's. The body was mostly cut off, the axle bolted directly to the frame, which was shortened. Most of them had a plank or a bucket seat. Some had a second transmission mounted in line to gear it down more. I used to search CL for them to make a 20s style dirt track racer out of, a runner could be had for 500.00.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, supercub said:

They were commonly called doodlebugs, farmers made them out of an old car as a cheap tractor, mostly Model A's. The body was mostly cut off, the axle bolted directly to the frame, which was shortened. Most of them had a plank or a bucket seat. Some had a second transmission mounted in line to gear it down more. I used to search CL for them to make a 20s style dirt track racer out of, a runner could be had for 500.00.

Yes, of course, you're right. I recall doodlebugs as the term for them. 

On 3/22/2021 at 5:24 AM, mike6024 said:

The vehicle was a "log jocker" ???? The cable used would be a choker. Wonder if that is correct? You would have a jocker pulling a log with a choker?

Amazon.com: Timber Tuff TMW-48 Log Choker Cable with Ring and Probe Stake:  Home Improvement

And that log needs to be on a Jinker. Or don't you call them that in the US?

The sprocket on the rear wheel could have powered a saw bench. One wheel locked on the ground, and the other driving a chain. At a fast idle, reverse gear, stepped up a little, it would eat those firewood logs. It looks like something my old man would have made. There could be $375 dollars worth of fun just tinkering with the old girl. A friend here is searching for one of those North East starter motors, as well, for his 29 Dodge six. Unfortunately it's on the other side of the world.

Merriam Webster: "1 Australia : a contrivance like a cart having either two or four wheels and used especially for log and timber carrying. 2 Australia : a two-wheeled racing sulky."  I'm guessing "jinker" is Australia only.

BTW, noticing the rust on the Ford pick up parked next to it, is there any doubt that this is Minnesota?

00m0m_hb1rQEN2E2Lz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg