recovering old sun visors, who does it?

trimacar

I have two sun visors to recover, have the fabric and the border, would like to have someone do it, including the little leather piece on each where you grab it in the middle.

Yes, I can sew, but sun visors present problems that most other trim jobs don't, and I'd rather have someone do it who is a professional and has the specific equipment to do them.

I searched the topics but no luck.  Any suggestions?  Thanks David C.

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

The local upholsterer who did my interior recovered my visors and did a fine job. I would think that most people who do upholstery could handle visors.

Dave does upholstery and is quite good at it.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, zepher said:

Dave does upholstery is and is quite good at it.

I took mine to McVickers in Lincoln. Maybe it would be worth giving them a call. It was a dozen years ago they did mine, though, so maybe they aren't doping that any more.

My sister did the ones in my 30 Cadillac exactly how the original ones were sewn. Three sides by machine and the side where the arm is by hand. Plus made me dinner while I waited is a deal you can not beat.

I just noticed I never replaced the screws to original ones. 

2021-03-18 sunviser 002.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 3/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, Joe in Canada said:

My sister did the ones in my 30 Cadillac exactly how the original ones were sewn. Three sides by machine and the side where the arm is by hand. Plus made me dinner while I waited is a deal you can not beat.

I just noticed I never replaced the screws to original ones. 

2021-03-18 sunviser 002.JPG

Screw the screws...your sister has a blessed talent....recreating a 91yr old skill is her gift! Lucky you!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

I recently had the visors on my Lasalle recovered by Vinyl Specialties :  http://www.autosunvisors.com/

Can you elaborate on the turnaround time? I just looked at their website and the prices are much cheaper than buying replacements for my car. Not that I am in a hurry but the last few parts I sent out to have repaired/restored took literally years to come back.

Not from this supplier I will add.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

I usually have the upholstery shop do it.   On my 35 Buick, the top was so low I made tinted plexey glass sun visors, for  more visabliity.