69 Corvette 427/435 N14 Side Exhaust

I'm not a huge vette guy but I did spend one summer using my brother's 66 427/390 car as an every day driver and got a little religion.    There are thousands of vettes for sale every day (literally)  but this is one you might see once or twice a year.    That is because it is the 435HP 427 with the N14 side exhaust option only available in 1969.  You see lots of vettes with side exhaust but 99% were added by the owner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Corvette-L71-427-435hp-/384035335820

Fathom Green w/Saddle interior, L71 427/435hp, 4-spd. manual transmission.

The wildly anticipated arrival of the third generation or Shark bodied Corvette finally happened in ’68. The new Corvette was an instant hit with the buying public, but there were a few little tweaks that still needed to be done in order to make it great. Those tweaks happened in ’69 and the car is recognized as one of the best ever!

The drivetrain choices were basically a carryover from the previous year. However, the 327 small block gained 23 cubic inches and was now a 350. Big block offerings were the L36 427 with 390hp, L68 Tri-Power with 400hp, L71 Tri-Power with 435hp, and the legendary L88 with 500 plus hp!

But, the most significant option offered in ’69, at least in the looks dept. was RPO N14. This was the Side Mounted exhaust system. The option was not initially available at the beginning of production, coming along about a quarter of the way in. It’s a relatively rare option with approximately 4,300 (out of almost 3,9000) cars built with factory side mounts.

The beautiful and very correct Fathom Green example presented here is one of those that left St. Louis with the N14 exhaust. It’s also equipped with the L71 427/435hp big block, M21 close ratio 4-spd., K66 Transistorized Ignition, tinted glass, power brakes, headlight washers, and more. The car has undergone an extensive, frame-off restoration and it is believed that the factory drivetrain is still in place (as evidenced in a report by C3 guru Mark Donnally). The car has received an N.C.R.S. Top Flight Award and factory docs include an N.C.R.S. validated Tank Sticker, Owner’s Kit and keys. 

69-Corvette-435-N14.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I'm not a huge vette guy but I did spend one summer using my brother's 66 427/390 car as an every day driver and got a little religion.    There are thousands of vettes for sale every day (literally)  but this is one you might see once or twice a year.    That is because it is the 435HP 427 with the N14 side exhaust option only available in 1969.  You see lots of vettes with side exhaust but 99% were added by the owner.

Sharks are very sexy.  I think the production numbers keep their prices low through the years.  When looking at the C1-C3 years, and specifically the carburetor, small block versions, they are a bargain.  At some point, I'm sure a straight axle will enter my garage.

As for this shark, it checks a lot of boxes that guys who play in the upper air of early corvettes like.  

A lot of the C3's I've ridden in have a loose "rattling" feel to them.   I'm not sure how much of that is the examples I've driven, and how much of that is just the engineering of them as seen 50 years down the road.  My boys (early 20's), like the aggressive look.  I prefer the midyears and Straight Axles.

I am always bewildered when I see a basic 1970 small block shark sell for the price (maybe 18K) as a Nova of similar era......They are a bargain if you like them.

I'm curious what it will take for this to sell.

43 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Sharks are very sexy.  I think the production numbers keep their prices low through the years.  When looking at the C1-C3 years, and specifically the carburetor, small block versions, they are a bargain.  At some point, I'm sure a straight axle will enter my garage.

As for this shark, it checks a lot of boxes that guys who play in the upper air of early corvettes like.  

A lot of the C3's I've ridden in have a loose "rattling" feel to them.   I'm not sure how much of that is the examples I've driven, and how much of that is just the engineering of them as seen 50 years down the road.  My boys (early 20's), like the aggressive look.  I prefer the midyears and Straight Axles.

I am always bewildered when I see a basic 1970 small block shark sell for the price (maybe 18K) as a Nova of similar era......They are a bargain if you like them.

I'm curious what it will take for this to sell.

I only casually pay attention,   but the N14 + L71 + Paperwork + Top Flight means over 6 figures to me.    100-125?

Been eyeballing a Bridgehampton blue 71 roadster w orig sbc, 4 speed.  $23k, original paint car.  68 -73 are very reasonable compared to a lot of Chevelle, Camaro, Impala, Nova alternatives.  Ability to carry 4 may be a factor.

• Like 2