1931 Buick on BaT, Not Mine.

Close to me, the right year, and Buick is on my short list.

But I still wouldn’t touch this thing. There is a reason these types of customs often show up for sale partially completed. Anybody can take out a sawzall and hack the roof off. It’s the finishing and details that wear you out. And empty your wallet. 

- John

I believe we've discussed that car here before. That trunk is all wrong for 1931 and I think the speculation from other Buick guys was that someone took the rear tub from a '20s victoria coupe and grafted it onto a chopped down 4-door sedan from a smaller series Buick, then dumped it on a spare 80 Series chassis. Whatever it is, it's a long way from being finished. First there are no windows, so what, exactly, do you do there? They act like seats from any other '31 will just drop right in, but I'm thinking that's exactly why the project stopped where it did--there are no seats to fit this thing and certainly no top irons or hardware. You'll spend $30-40,000 at an upholstery shop having them conjure those things only to have a '31 Buick 80 Series with a goofball body that isn't welcome at any of the events. VERY hard sell at any price, I'd think.

As my friend Ed is fond of saying, that's a parts car.

• Like 3

What surprised me about the body modifications is they went to the trouble of changing the rear door hinging to the B-pillar as was more common for convertible sedans by the mid-'30's.   The trunk styling is closer to 1934-'35.  Its still a major project to finish, too many window and top mechanism parts to fabricate, then the seat springs and upholstery. 

Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas...

8 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

What surprised me about the body modifications is they went to the trouble of changing the rear door hinging to the B-pillar as was more common for convertible sedans by the mid-'30's.   The trunk styling is closer to 1934-'35.  Its still a major project to finish, too many window and top mechanism parts to fabricate, then the seat springs and upholstery. 

Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas...

I don't think they changed just the hinges. Looking at the firewall, I think the entire body behind the engine was swapped.

1 hour ago, CarNicopia said:

I don't think they changed just the hinges. Looking at the firewall, I think the entire body behind the engine was swapped.

I wondered that too, but from what make and model convertible sedan?  I haven't been able to match it up with anything yet?  Your guess?

26 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I wondered that too, but from what make and model convertible sedan?  I haven't been able to match it up with anything yet?  Your guess?

I can't find anything with the doors that open like that. The closest I can find in body shape is a Plymouth, but both doors are wrong for that. With the windshield rake more tilted, whatever it was, I'd guess it was a '32 or '33 model year.