1917 D45 rocker arms

Good luck with that, Bob.  Since you have a 1917 engine there are twice as many to deal with.  When I went through the valve train on my engine I used a small punch and pried them out.  I then made new caps out of Brass and put new felt in the cavities.  I think I got the felt from Hobby Lobby.  I used a leather punch to stamp the small pieces out.  The old felt pieces were really gummed up.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 2

I had a heck of a time getting all mine out. I ended up removing the bushing and drilling the hole to accept a screw inserted from the bushing bore (photo) and a slide hammer to pull them. It was a bear. The pushrod was similar, just drilling through the cap and crappy old felt.

Obviously, I destroyed the caps. I made replacements of stainless steel and polished them before installation - they look like they were nickeled.

This is my spare engine that had sat in the forest,with no hood, for 40 years. The caps rere carp anyway.

CIMG4143.JPG

CIMG5085.JPG

• Like 1

After seeing the above solutions, I decided to make my own attempt.  I took a sheetmetal screw and ran it into the top oil hole.  The cap was pushed out with minimal damage to the cap.

I proceeded to remove all 24 caps with damage to about 4 that may require replacements.

Thanks for your ideas and encouragement.

Bob Engle

17 rocker oilers.jpg

• Like 2