1929 Peerless 6-61

KHR

5 hours ago, KHR said:

I am looking for new or working distributor, points, button, condenser......    

I see your new. Your looking for a rather difficult part. Posting photos, and a narrative will help you find things. People won’t chase you down to sell you parts. Showing photos of the needed part, and the project will increase the chances of a replay by a magnitude of ten.

• Like 1

Was that distributor case + innards, or just the  innards?

Innards might be easier to turn up if your try Chrysler 1928-29 62 6Cyl, 65---per a Shurhit catalog they're the same as your Peerless for points, cap, roror, condenser, coil...

Per that catalog your points, cat and rotor are in a batch of other vehicles into the 30s...

NOW, that said, parts co's sometimes stock "universals" that fit and work in a number of vehicles, but may not match configuration of OE parts.but lf you need OE parts for show, you can use universals to drive aroind looking for OE...

KHR,     first of all we need to know which electrical system is on your car.   Peerless used two systems on the 29  6-61.   Distributor numbers were   Autolite - IGB4023 and Delco was 631F.   If you could put some pictures back on the forum, I can see what you need.

Bud,   Chrysler used three different distributors for the 28-29  model 62.   (631A,  631B  and 637N)    Two of the point sets will work, one will not work.   Also one cap that will work and two that won't interchange.  

On 3/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, Bud Tierney said:

Was that distributor case + innards, or just the  innards?

Innards might be easier to turn up if your try Chrysler 1928-29 62 6Cyl, 65---per a Shurhit catalog they're the same as your Peerless for points, cap, roror, condenser, coil...

Per that catalog your points, cat and rotor are in a batch of other vehicles into the 30s...

NOW, that said, parts co's sometimes stock "universals" that fit and work in a number of vehicles, but may not match configuration of OE parts.but lf you need OE parts for show, you can use universals to drive aroind looking for OE...

Just the innards would be great.   Thank you, I will research those years.

6 hours ago, Old buicks 2 said:

KHR,     first of all we need to know which electrical system is on your car.   Peerless used two systems on the 29  6-61.   Distributor numbers were   Autolite - IGB4023 and Delco was 631F.   If you could put some pictures back on the forum, I can see what you need.

Bud,   Chrysler used three different distributors for the 28-29  model 62.   (631A,  631B  and 637N)    Two of the point sets will work, one will not work.   Also one cap that will work and two that won't interchange.  

Here's what I have on it.

IMG_0010.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_0007.jpeg

According to the car S/N it is a 1929 Peerless 61-A with Continental 11-E engine. So your car originally used Delco-Remy distributor 631-F. Can you confirm that starter and generator are Delco-Remy and not Auto-Lite?

However, the distributor you are using came off another vehicle. The tag is hard to read. What does it say?

26 minutes ago, Peter R. said:

According to the car S/N it is a 1929 Peerless 61-A with Continental 11-E engine. So your car originally used Delco-Remy distributor 631-F. Can you confirm that starter and generator are Delco-Remy and not Auto-Lite?

However, the distributor you are using came off another vehicle. The tag is hard to read. What does it say?

Chrysler Corp 4203-C on the distributor 

Generator only shows this info.   GAR - 4608-5  8  P001226

Image 3-22-21 at 4.54 PM.jpeg

If you scratch off the paint it might say IGS or IGC-4203C-1. It is definitely an Auto-Lite distributor and GAR-4608-5 is an Auto-Lite generator too. But both are newer than 1929. Your Peerless might not be equipped with the original engine.....

I'll look into the numbers.

Interesting mixture.....Auto-Lite distributor IGS-4203C-1 was used on 1942 Plymouth P-14 (with cast iron pistons).

The correct cap for IGS-4203C-1 would be Auto-Lite IGC-1107S, rotor IGS-1016B, point set IGP-3028ES (consisting of copntact arm IGP-3028 and contact point IGP-1086RM). Old buicks 2 can help you on these parts.

Auto-Lite generator GAR-4608-5 had been used on 1935 DeSoto's SF and SG.

Is there also a starter? What is the engine number? Look for a stamped number on the block.

(The head casting number you provided doesn't match 1935 DeSoto).

My apologies for not following this thread...

The comments above are a perfect illustration as to howcum the parts person sometimes comes up with the wrong parts...ideally, parts people double check if they have more than one source, just in case,..I suppose now there's only one source, the computer readout...

In this case only the 631F dist was listed, which I should've specified in my post!...

The Chrysler dist's listed were 631A and B, but the points, cap and rotor were also listed for other different  dist #s as well..

20 hours ago, Peter R. said:

Interesting mixture.....Auto-Lite distributor IGS-4203C-1 was used on 1942 Plymouth P-14 (with cast iron pistons).

The correct cap for IGS-4203C-1 would be Auto-Lite IGC-1107S, rotor IGS-1016B, point set IGP-3028ES (consisting of copntact arm IGP-3028 and contact point IGP-1086RM). Old buicks 2 can help you on these parts.

Auto-Lite generator GAR-4608-5 had been used on 1935 DeSoto's SF and SG.

Is there also a starter? What is the engine number? Look for a stamped number on the block.

(The head casting number you provided doesn't match 1935 DeSoto).

From the block PI4 I06I3I

IMG_0017.jpeg

Here we go..... Your engine definitely came off a 1942 Plymouth P14 and according to the head casting number you provided I can tell it came off a 1942 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Model P14C.

1942 Plymouth P14 engine numbers:  P14-1001 to P14-149161

So the distributor on your car is correct for the engine. The generator is not OE. It was originally used on a 1935 Chrysler C6, 1935 DeSoto SF or SG,  1935 Dodge DU, DV or DV DeLuxe (CAN), 1936 Dodge D-2 or 1935 Plymouth PJ DeLuxe.

The OE generator on the 1942 Plymouth P14 was Auto-Lite GDZ-4801B (GEB-4801A (City Police), GEG-4818A (State Police) and GEG-4818B (State Police) were also used). OE starter was Auto-Lite MZ-4105.

• Like 1

Bummer for sure, as they used to say...

Raises interesting questions as to how well the Plymouth engine fitted (or was fitted) into the Peerless...or is the whole driveline CCptn???

Worse, the 10E/11E Cont;l that was original (per old parts catalogs and above) seems to've been a rather limited engine, but I need to check some more catalogs...

So: did Peerless, or Cont'l, have come problem that led Peerless to slip in a few CCptn engines, or is this an aftermarket surgery???

Fascinating...but no doubt a shattering blow for KHR...will advise on the Cont'ls.. 

With sympathy,  Bud        OOPS---just remembered: 1942 engine, obviously transplane (senior moment)!!                                       

Edited by Bud Tierney
Addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Every once in awhile I do a general search of the Forums to see if discussions of Peerlesses come up. Too bad no one tried to list this question on the actual AACA Peerless Forum here. I went through all this 17 months ago when the Roaring 20s Collection went up for sale in Indiana. I thought the engine looked wrong and the engine ser. #s were definitely wrong. I decided it might be a Plymouth engine, and contacted the auction co. about it, but as usual they ignored me and neither changed their ad copy or passed it on to the buyer. Other than that, it looks like a well-preserved 1929 Peerless.

Well, the news about the 10E/11E i n't that good nut could be a lot worse...

From what I have (admittedly nowhere near complete)

the 10E (31/4 bore) was in some 27-28 Jordans and some small Selden and Sterling trucks maybe 28-31...

the 11E (33/8 bore) was in some Moon and Reo, same period...

More hopeful is that the 10E/11E were part of a series that ran 6E, 10E, 11E, 12E, 14E, 15E to 19E, a mix of the two bores, similar engines as they're listed together for a lot of gaskets and they do share some innards...

Jordan also used the 12 and 14 Es, Moon used the 12E and Reo used 15, 16 and 19Es...

The 18E had the most listings, all trucks except 1929 Durant model 70, so there four clubs you can check for an engine...

It's also possible if no 10E/11E comes available one of the other Es may drop in or be shoehorned in...when dealing with series engines, Cont'l didn't hesitate to ship a similar in the series if the ordered engine wasn't available......,

On 3/22/2021 at 1:33 PM, KHR said:

This is what I have.   Sorry, new to Peerless   

• Chassis number C-613789
    Motor Stamp 952084-1

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

Glad to find out what happened to the 1929 Peerless you bought at the Indiana auction. Have you been able to find out much about Peerless in your research, or from the Roaring 20s Museum where it came from? It is one of about 8,000 Six-61s produced, it is a First Series, and the 3,289th Peerless registered in the series. The Continental six it had was 214.7 cu. in. and 62 HP.  The company introduced it early in 1929 at the New York Auto Show and it was a big hit. Maybe you've seen the ads on ebay for the new model...telling of 8,236 orders being taken in one day and price for Sedans at $1,395. Please leave some information about your car on the AACA Peerless Forum or through a PM. I keep the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence records...which estimate there are 73 1929 cars known.

Jefferson Brown 

On 3/28/2021 at 2:56 PM, jeff_a said:

Glad to find out what happened to the 1929 Peerless you bought at the Indiana auction. Have you been able to find out much about Peerless in your research, or from the Roaring 20s Museum where it came from? It is one of about 8,000 Six-61s produced, it is a First Series, and the 3,289th Peerless registered in the series. The Continental six it had was 214.7 cu. in. and 62 HP.  The company introduced it early in 1929 at the New York Auto Show and it was a big hit. Maybe you've seen the ads on ebay for the new model...telling of 8,236 orders being taken in one day and price for Sedans at $1,395. Please leave some information about your car on the AACA Peerless Forum or through a PM. I keep the Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence records...which estimate there are 73 1929 cars known.

Jefferson Brown 

That is cool!   Thank you for the info and I will keep everyone updated as the restore progresses.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:55 PM, Bud Tierney said:

Well, the news about the 10E/11E i n't that good nut could be a lot worse...

From what I have (admittedly nowhere near complete)

the 10E (31/4 bore) was in some 27-28 Jordans and some small Selden and Sterling trucks maybe 28-31...

the 11E (33/8 bore) was in some Moon and Reo, same period...

More hopeful is that the 10E/11E were part of a series that ran 6E, 10E, 11E, 12E, 14E, 15E to 19E, a mix of the two bores, similar engines as they're listed together for a lot of gaskets and they do share some innards...

Jordan also used the 12 and 14 Es, Moon used the 12E and Reo used 15, 16 and 19Es...

The 18E had the most listings, all trucks except 1929 Durant model 70, so there four clubs you can check for an engine...

It's also possible if no 10E/11E comes available one of the other Es may drop in or be shoehorned in...when dealing with series engines, Cont'l didn't hesitate to ship a similar in the series if the ordered engine wasn't available......,

Wow!   Thank you for the info.