Help to ID vehicle and year of make Please!

Heybrad

Hello again

I am trying to determine an approximate year the attached image was taken next to the Spreckels Temple of Music, Golden Gate Park, SF. If anyone can ID the make, model and year of the vehicle that might help. Additionally, if anyone has insight into period clothing, that might help narrow the year that this photo was taken too. Appreciate your insights!

BC

uncle at gg park.jpg

I don't recognize the car, however, general style and tire size would indicate it to be likely 1924 or 1925. It could be as early as 1923, which was early for the new low pressure 'balloon' tires. Style-wise, I would say no later than 1926, and even that is unlikely.

As to the man's suit? It appears to have wider lapels than early 1920s suits generally had. With a few jazzy exceptions, men's suits didn't change much from one year to the next. And traditional styled suits often would cross over for five to ten years with very little change. Basically a very nice looking three piece single breasted (probably three button coat?), no pleats pants. Likely 1926 to 1930ish. Early 1930s suits often went with two button coats, and baggy pleats in the pants became more common. Early 1930s suit coats also tended to be tighter fitting in the waist and shoulders. The hat appears to be a Homberg. One of my favorite felt hats! (I had a beautiful era Homberg many years ago, about forty years ago, someone stole it out of an antique sedan at a car show and I have never found another one so nice that fit me!)

I would speculate the photo would have been taken about 1926, give or take one year.

Nice picture! Whatever the car is, I like it!

• Like 2

PS, I know very little about the roaming 20's period clothing, but the woman's hat in the drivers seat scream's roaring 20's to me. Does anyone know if that styled hat was still worn by women in the 1930's? I would like to think this photo was taken in the mid-1920's as Wayne suggests. Thoughts are appreciated!

The curve of the cowl, minimal belt molding, sunvisor design, hood louvers and especially the 4 hinges at the front door make me think this is a 1923 Buick....you could get the disk wheels for these in lieu of the wooden wheels shown. Agreed w/ others this is very 1920s clothing. Photo was shot w/ the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco as background.

1923 buick.jpg

• Like 1

@Pat V and @Bob Zetnick, you beat me to it, thanks!  The edifice is definitely Bernard Maybeck's magnificent Palace of Fine Arts, well removed from Golden Gate Park, at the beginning of the SF approach to the GG Bridge.  Walter Johnson, a wealthy contractor, donated the rebuilding of the PFA in cast concrete in the late 1950s, replacing the original plaster, affording permanency to what was supposed to have been a temporary structure.  The PFA remains one of the most photographed buildings in SF.

• Like 1