Adding new oil to lever action shocks 1955 Buick Special

M1842

I removed the square heard bolt from the top of the shock absorber body and peered inside with a flashlight.  I could see no oil so I bought some hydraulic jack fluid in a bottle with a thin pouring top.  I couldn't get the oil to flow in, surface tension seemed to block the new oil and I know I didn't have anywhere for the displaced air to go.

I could use some hints on how to do this . :)

Mark

I got an oil can, the old fashioned metal type with a squeeze handle with a tip on the spout small enough to go into the filler hole on my Delco-Lovejoy lever arm shocks. If the spout is flexible that is a plus. Something like this or this. I bought a new oil can and put a label on it, dedicating it to jack/shock oil.

Anyway, pour the jack fluid into the oil can then pump the oil into the jack filler hole.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I got an oil can, the old fashioned metal type with a squeeze handle with a tip on the spout small enough to go into the filler hole on my Delco-Lovejoy lever arm shocks. If the spout is flexible that is a plus. Something like this or this. I bought a new oil can and put a label on it, dedicating it to jack/shock oil.

Anyway, pour the jack fluid into the oil can then pump the oil into the jack filler hole.

For well-depleted shocks:  Once each shock is full, screw plug in loosely, then drive around the block slowly to let trapped air burp past the threads, then refill, drive around the block one more time, refill and secure the plugs. 

35 minutes ago, Grimy said:

For well-depleted shocks:  Once each shock is full, screw plug in loosely, then drive around the block slowly to let trapped air burp past the threads, then refill, drive around the block one more time, refill and secure the plugs. 

No: According to the shop manual, fill to within 1/2"-23/32" below the fill opening. This is necessary to leave some air space for expansion of fluid when hot otherwise fluid may be forced out.  You will have to fashion a dipstick to dip and measure.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

I use a squeeze trigger oil can for lever shocks as well. I like to disconnect the link at the end of the arm and pump them by hand. I avoid pulling the limit in either way. 25-75% of the range works well. You can feel the resistance build.

If you see a little leakage at the the body sometimes wrapping the shaft with cotton string will help stop the gushers.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For a dip stick, I took a Q-tip, cut off one of the cotton ends, measured 1/2"-23/32" from the cut off end and put a mark it there.  Then I dipped the cut end into the fill hole only as far as the mark I made.  If there is a trace of oil on the tip, you are good to go.

• Like 2