Don Garlits Drag Racing Museum - Ocala, FL

Yes, it's a drag racing museum with many drag racing cars from the past.  But there's a separate building housing at least 60 or more pre-war cars.  No mega-million dollar Duesenbergs, etc., but many very nice cars.  From what I understand, at least some of the cars displayed are on loan, as while I was there in December, workers were shuffling cars around to get a 1936 Ford out which the owner wanted to take to a show.  Unfortunately they are all packed in so tightly it's difficult to get good pictures of most.  I commented about the lack of radiator caps or motometers on all of the cars and was told they remove them to keep visitors from stealing them.  

AACA member George Albright is involved with the museum, and donated the only surviving 1904 Simplicity to the museum.  From the pictures of it below, you can see how tightly the cars are sandwiched in the building.  

The museum borders I-75 in Ocala, FL, and is well worth a visit.

https://garlits.com/

45301485_1904Simplicity2.jpg.aca8cc72e50703d91414e34cfe4569a1.jpg

374499759_1904Simplicity3.jpg.9dcf763db98c98590769badbee96a801.jpg

2073351472_1904Simplicity.jpg.bcf7abb2c6f0d46c3f07f3ed31ec05e9.jpg

• Like 2

And Don Garlits seems like one of those legendary people who also appears to a great and decent human being. I would love to see his museum for that reason, alone. It's 1500 miles away, but maybe I'll make it down there some day.

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

And Don Garlits seems like one of those legendary people who also appears to a great and decent human being. I would love to see his museum for that reason, alone. It's 1500 miles away, but maybe I'll make it down there some day.

They say he stops by on occasion. Others have said he can occasionally be seen mowing the grass there with a tractor.

• Like 1

True. You never know who might show up there from racing long list of legends. As a drag racing enthusiast from the 60s it was great to relive so many memories there and see some of the cars I'd seen racing in person at some of the Michigan and other nearby drag strips. 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to Don Garlits Drag Racing Museum - Ocala, FL