Want to put an electronic ignition in my 1928 dodge victory 6

I also check my secondary wire resistances and note them in my maintenance log.  I forgot to mention that there are occasionally bad runs of plug wires (ask me how I know), and these can also give you a unplanned troubleshooting exercise, though independent of what type of primary system (points or electronic) you're using.  I've had a new Bosch plug wire resistance triple in nine months, also had a Delco wire go bad within a year.  It's easy to check the wire resistances when everything is disconnected for spark plug changes/compression tests at tune-up time.

So there's a few more items on the automotive endangered species list, spark plug wires (now replaced by coil-on-plug ignition) and tune-ups.

No one has mentioned here voltage drop and the pertronix unit not firing. Six volt batteries that sit for long periods of time, huge CCA draw when spinning the engine......battery voltage often drops to 5.2 or even less. That’s the range where the electronic ignition systems start to have issues. 

3 hours ago, Writer Jon said:

I also check my secondary wire resistances and note them in my maintenance log.  I forgot to mention that there are occasionally bad runs of plug wires (ask me how I know), and these can also give you a unplanned troubleshooting exercise, though independent of what type of primary system (points or electronic) you're using.  I've had a new Bosch plug wire resistance triple in nine months, also had a Delco wire go bad within a year.  It's easy to check the wire resistances when everything is disconnected for spark plug changes/compression tests at tune-up time.

So there's a few more items on the automotive endangered species list, spark plug wires (now replaced by coil-on-plug ignition) and tune-ups.

Are you using modern plug leads or the old wire leads?

• 3 weeks later...