Carfax Report

STEVE POLLARD

I would like to locate a truck that I special order back in 1994. I would like to know from the members here if they have use the Carfax report and does it give you specifics as to current location etc... Any other suggestions ? I still have the vin # from the truck..

Thanks

30 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

I would like to locate a truck that I special order back in 1994. I would like to know from the members here if they have use the Carfax report and does it give you specifics as to current location etc... Any other suggestions ? I still have the vin # from the truck..

Thanks

Steve, 

1994 might be to old for a carfax report. I do know it gives every bit of information on a used car, from date and location of oil changes, states where titled, it is very interesting.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Carfax goes back to 1981, which is the first year that the Feds mandated the 17-character VIN format. Whether or not a particular vehicle is in the Carfax database (or the completeness of data if it is) depends on how many times it was registered, inspected, or titled since Carfax has existed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joe_padavano said:

Carfax goes back to 1981, which is the first year that the Feds mandated the 17-character VIN format. Whether or not a particular vehicle is in the Carfax database (or the completeness of data if it is) depends on how many times it was registered, inspected, or titled since Carfax has existed.

Thanks, now I remember, not every older car in the data base. 

• Like 1

Carfax can be extremely deficient, which can give a false sense of security in car transactions. If someone doesn’t enter service, or repairs done, carfax will not have a clue. Of course titling records will be noted, as well as proper dealer service. Accident damage can go unreported , thus avoiding a branded title, and therefore, Carfax will not know.

This afternoon we are having another “True Confessions” session. So I have to admit breaking quite a number of cardinal rules once in favor of the “Fax”. Bought a car I was looking for at night, in the rain , in a hurry. Never needed to relate to a service like Carfax before. Figured I must under the unusual conditions that night. Carfax blessed it, and I was ignorant. Took an expensive lesson from that one year only, (in ‘93 the torquey, more durable 4.9 was replaced by the N’star in the TCs. Also making it’s debut for ‘93 , was the 4T80E trans. Very fine box performance wise, but sure has its own reliability issues), ‘92 Eldorado Touring Coupe. I had recently bought one for my kid, and NEEDED one for myself after driving that perfect one home. Bought that one the old fashioned way on personal inspection and test driving in the dry daylight. I wish I had never heard of Carfax. Once was too much for me. I have happily bought plenty a car the old way for many decades.    -   C Carl 

• Like 3

Any such is just an indicator. Generally between first contact and inspection with cash I'll order something similar. If not in the advert, my first question is usually for the VIN, this tells me immediately if the car has a Florida title, if there is a lien, or is branded. Should this look good I'll order a history report. Sometimes further investigation is needed. If all looks good I'll personally inspect the car. This century I've had no need to go further than a few hundred miles. In one case I told the owner I would pay one price for the car and $300 more with a Florida title.

BTW to me a nice late Eldorado is an ETC, with a TC I think Chrysler.  Caddy got the Northstar right about 2004, before I prefer the pushrod 4.5/4.9. 273 lb-ft vs 290 lb-ft torque. Main difference is at high revs and think the 4.5 is prettier.

45eng.jpg

So with Kevin's help, I learn that the truck has been in a town just 10 mins south of my location all these years... a NYS inspection was just done a few weeks ago. It's good knowing that it's still in the area...Now to found out which inspection station...

Steve

• Like 1