Jump to content

Positive Traction Differential Axle oil change 1963 Skylark


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

My ‘63 Skylark has a Positive Traction Differential. The shop manual states “It is not necessary to remove the lubricant at any time except when contaminated .......”

 

However this thing is now 58 years young and almost 67,000 miles. Did Buick expect the rear axle oil to keep performing at this age.

 

Should I drain and refill? If so what would be recommended to meet Buick Specification No 723 as we don’t have Buick dealerships here?

 

Interesting to see what others have done. 
 

Diff is quiet and not leaking and do not want to create a problem where none exists!

 

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  my 54 does not have this kind of axle but... I used if I recall correctly (hypoid) gear oil for axles like mine on the 54.   In my 60 Electra with 37K miles I have not touched it.   Does not leak.  There is no noise.  I leave it alone and run like the wind on the highway.   From my understanding a GL5 gear lube for positive traction should be used.  ACDelco 10-4051 GL-5 80W-90 Axle Gear Oil.

 

Let other chime in with what they use. 

 

 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodney,  may a bit late , but  our  local  Holden dealers  used to sell  the positrack  additive at there 

parts outlet,----but of course  all  Holden dealerships have been sold only  about  a month  ago,

i would try  Repco parts store they may have it.

It was about half a pint  approx  and that was added to your diff, with regular  80--90.

i purchased  for about 3 of my Buicks when i lived in Sacramento  at Buick dealership parts outlets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wayne R said:

Rodney,  may a bit late , but  our  local  Holden dealers  used to sell  the positrack  additive at there 

parts outlet,----but of course  all  Holden dealerships have been sold only  about  a month  ago,

i would try  Repco parts store they may have it.

It was about half a pint  approx  and that was added to your diff, with regular  80--90.

i purchased  for about 3 of my Buicks when i lived in Sacramento  at Buick dealership parts outlets.


Thanks for that tip. Yes I am inclined to drain and refill. Am sure Buick were not thinking that it would reach that age and still be driving. I will put it on my list of things to source.

 

On 3/17/2021 at 3:26 AM, JohnD1956 said:

In my opinion, leave it alone!  I do not believe age is any factor in rear axle oil. 


Hi John, that was also a thought. When the mechanic checked the level his words were “ It stinks!” Possibly it does smell like that, but my gut feel is to drain it. Most of our modern lubricants are far ahead of what was available in 1963.

 

Im in no hurry, got plenty on the list to go, so see what others say!

Rodney 😀😀😀😃😀😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rodneybeauchamp said:


 

 


 . When the mechanic checked the level his words were “ It stinks!”  

 

 

It does stink.   Every axle I drained and filled stunk the high Heavens.   

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

 

It does stink.   Every axle I drained and filled stunk the high Heavens.   

They used sperm whale oil as an additive for locking differentials back then and along with the lead soap base, you had a big stink.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, old-tank said:

They used sperm whale oil as an additive for locking differentials back then and along with the lead soap base, you had a big stink.

 

We have come a long way in lube.  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...