Hi guys, I've been looking into getting a decal made up to replace a deteriorated one for my 1984 Cadillac Eldorado. I've attached a picture of what I'd like to have re-created. It goes just below the fuel filler/license plate and had a very light brushed metal appearance to it when new. It's located in the "dribble zone" for gas, so I assume it would have to be made out of a material that's fuel-rated. I've never had a decal made before and don't know what's involved. Assuming a minimum order is probably necessary which I don't have any trouble with. Anyone have any knowledge about these things and could help me out with their experience/skills? Is there a better subforum this post can be moved to? 

Thanks so much,

Anthony

Remote Locking Fuel Door Decal.JPG

Edited by smokuspollutus (see edit history)

Hmm, sign shop was something I hadn't even thought of. I know of one nearby, might be worth paying them a visit. Thanks! As far as the computer, I think I could probably get something together on a program with enough trouble, but don't know the first thing about what type of printer I'd need, or what kinds of materials to print it on. 

Really appreciate the responses, I'm going to pursue the sign shop idea. But if anyone on here does this kind of thing, please feel free to drop a line in. 

Model makers create decals at home which are quite good. Search You Tube for some videos. Here is one I like. 

If you know someone with good computer skills, they can set up the type for you. I have actually used graphic designers on eBay who, for a few dollars, will create logos and custom labels text and artwork.

Phil

4 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

My son works at a graphics shop here in Ontario. Here's one he created for me.  Any shop that does wraps or signage should be able to do that for you. 

Jim

Waterloo Boy sign.jpg

Your son does good work !

I just bought a small decal for a wiper motor, information is on my other computer I can post it tomorrow when Im in the office. They may be able to help. I tried to make it myself before I bought. I had the font just about perfect, right size, layout was correct. I bought some silver foil labels which is how the original was, only to my surprise I need a laser jet printer!  So the $12 decal was cheaper than another printer.

The decals you show remind me, I had several friends in my neighborhood growing up whose dads worked at the local Chrysler plant. One of them came home with a stack of the unleaded fuel stickers. Kinda like Franks Red Hot Sauce, we put those things on everything.

• Like 1

We do this kind of work at my small business. My brother is a former champion atv racer, and has made many decals out of materials that can withstand chemicals and other abuse. 

The challenge is, that a roll of special vinyl film must be acquired to do a job like this. And rolls of quality vinyl can cost 5 grand or more apiece. It's hard to buy a roll to run out a few dozen decals, and then put the rest of the roll on a rack and hope you will be able to sell it some day. 

You might try ECS Auto Concepts in St Louis, Mo.  They've made me a couple of unique tire pressure and conformance label decals over the years that turned out excellent.  I'm going to be needing a "Unleaded Fuel Only" decal in French for my Canadian sold Z28 eventually so I'll be anxious to see what you come up with.  Best of luck, Chad 

• Like 1

ECS is whom I was referring to. I just got a decal for my wiper motor. They even sent me an email asking for the specific coding. I placed the order on the net, got an email a day or 2 later about the coding, then later that day got a confirmation that the product was finished and shipped. That was about a week ago still waiting for it to arrive.  

Thanks so much for your suggestions guys. I have been in touch with a local sign shop and they are interested in doing it. They think that it can be made gas resistant just through lamination. If it ends up falling through, I'll definitely be in touch with some of the folks you all mentioned. I really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend someone that can make the two emissions decals pictured below that go on the radiator cover for my Canadian sold 81 Z28?  I just ordered new VIN and tire pressure decals from ECS but they won't make them or even try for some reason.  I tried Jim Osborn Reproductions but they only sell decals they already have in stock.    

Emission Decal.jpg

Tune-Up Decal.jpg

If you have a clean and clear original a sign shop may be able to produce a decal and place on metal sheet.

Not sure of durability if under a hot car hood.

May be worth a try.

All I have are the originals on the car which are posted above.  If I can't find someone to reproduce them I'll just have to mask them off when I restore the radiator panel and leave the originals on the car.  I don't mind the worn look of the decals, I'm just worried I'll ruin them when I strip the panel because its in pretty rough shape. 

11 hours ago, carnut4life said:

All I have are the originals on the car which are posted above.  If I can't find someone to reproduce them I'll just have to mask them off when I restore the radiator panel and leave the originals on the car.  I don't mind the worn look of the decals, I'm just worried I'll ruin them when I strip the panel because its in pretty rough shape. 

Be very careful if you cover them.  I had a really nice original door sticker on my 79 trans am. I can get repops but this was so nice and original to the car so I wanted to keep it. I used blue tape to cover it for painting. The tape lifted the decal and all but ruined it. I salvaged what I could but ended up cutting a piece of plastic the size of the decal and with and taped that to the jamb. When finish painted the fine tape outline on the original paint is visible about an 1/8th inch around the perimeter, but thats fine with me. I suppose you could carefully touch that up after the core support is painted.

Hard to believe you cant find something to match. Ames has a pretty good selection but theyre for Pontiac motors. Have you tried Year One?  Or maybe Camaro Central. Camaro Central is also Firebird Central and I have had good luck dealing with them. I would have thought for sure ECS would have something. Mike Noun makes window stickers, no idea if he does other decals.

Good Luck from a fellow second gen F body.

Thanks for the tip TAKerry.  

I'll try Classic Industries next week and see if they can talk their supplier in to making me some.  Crazy thing is the 1980 emission sticker is identical to mine except it has a ZN code in the upper left corner instead of 7A.  The tune-up decal is almost identical too, just needs the bottom line removed and the part # changed.  

If you go to Trans Am Country forum, there was a member there that started to make the emissions decals that were not available for Trans Ams.  We recently had a server crash and all of the old content was lost so a search wont find anything. You will have to go to the general topics and ask.  He may be able to help you out.  Yes, they are both nearly identical, just not quite exact.

I am on there  almost if not more than here, I will check if you dont get a chance to.