1937 Cadillac Fleetwood limousine - $25,000 (Lakewood California)

Would I be correct in assuming that this car would have been built with the 346 V-8 originally?

Also, would engine and trans be impossible or completely cost prohibitive to locate today?

Lots of pics in ad.

cad37.jpg.fc1b873d9615e158987b2e9e3f2de213.jpgcad372.jpg.1120d6416f234e812093938f65195aba.jpgcad373.jpg.f2eebe27263e7cc100465db74550d103.jpgcad374.jpg.4f36399f84dbb7e3678db8ec385ae57c.jpgcad375.jpg.4cb71e82aca7a8252854a499997d2232.jpgcad376.jpg.db0a35d459a8ee37ce5fce215b3f002a.jpgcad377.jpg.6801a6d5738f64ba22e048b72e0a392d.jpg

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/lakewood-1937-cadillac-fleetwood/7291325439.html

This is a 1937 Cadillac Fleetwood limousine in pretty good condition Runs and drives definitely wouldn’t take too much to make it a daily driver it’s got a 350 engine with an automatic transmission “not original” The car is located in Lakewood California it’s been here since the late 70s fell free to contact me for any other info that you might want to know and I’ll do my best to answer (714) 725-1795

It’s more of a question of are you a stock guy, into history, preservation, ect...........that cars original engine was less expensive to rebuild than what they did to the car. That said, it’s a different skill set. It’s ten times harder to keep things stock. More expensive sometimes yes, sometimes no. The original engine made the car just as drivable as what they did to it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks suchan.  

Do these 346's exist out there in parts world or would they be difficult to find today?

Also did Cadillac use the 346 over a period of years, or was it a lower production?

Cheers, Greg

5 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Thanks suchan.  

Do these 346's exist out there in parts world or would they be difficult to find today?

Also did Cadillac use the 346 over a period of years, or was it a lower production?

Cheers, Greg

The 346 ci V8 was in production from 1936-'42 and 1946-'48 for passenger cars and continuous during the war years to power the M-5 tanks.  It is just about the most robust, perfected engine of its time one can own.  Parts availability is great.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, suchan said:

It's a Series 75, so it would've had the 346. Series 85 was basically the same, only with the V12.

I'm guessing somebody wanted to rent it out for weddings, and needed it to have an automatic.

I agree, also money to be made in the Los Angeles area for movie rentals. 

One option to return this to a semblance of originality would be to source a 1946-'48 346 V8 and if gear shifting is becoming a problem, the Hydra-Matic with it which some have done as age has made handling a car this size a growing problem.  At least the car would feel and sound more as it did originally, but a tad more like a 1941-'47 75 with Hydra-Matic to drive.

12 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Good info 58L-Y8, thanks.   Would this '37 have been a column or floor shift?

Hello  Greg,

37 was floor shift.

I have three parts engines , a hydramatic and manual if you want to give it a go.

Dennis

Thanks dl,

I've just recently finished my latest project and toying with the idea of another.  I saw this Cadillac before and thought, while the car is nice, the drive train change-up was a shame.  I'm happy to hear it was a floor shift rather than a column shift, which would probably be much more difficult to reassemble parts for.  If I follow through I'll be sure to contact you re: engines/trans.  How far are you from southern California?

Greg

‘36 Cads are unique in certain aspects, making their restoration more difficult. All ‘36s have the very first monoblock V8 for Cadillac, all had a one year only version at 322 cubes. LaSalle would continue a 322 small bore as Cadillac went to 346. ‘37s have a one-year unique differential which is devilishly difficult to work on. There is no compatible plug in replacement available at all. Of course there is no automotive problem that can not be solved if money is no object. This potential Achilles heel and the expensive replacement solution must be factored in if someone intends to save the “soul” of a ‘37 and transplant a later OHV big block Cad engine. One of these things, (and this rare impressive body style particularly), would make a wonderful long distance cruiser with a big block Cad engine. A low compression , (1971-1976), 472 or 500, or the then all-new 425 of 1977-1979. As long as money being no limit, the big OHV conversion could include the extensive machine work to include a manual floorshift trans. I particularly love ‘37s, and if I still had my money, I could see having such a modernized one. It would have the air conditioning which came on the big more modern mill, and my frail old self would enjoy driving anywhere at any time or season. I would do the manual trans option, and as long as the car would have to generate a substantial machine shop bill, the “frail tail” of the stock ‘37 would no longer be an issue. As I said , if my mother had not stolen my millions to go gambling, I might even consider this soul less victim of an ill advised heart transplant from another species. Making it a Cadillac again would be a noble effort. I suppose there would be another target for my passion for ‘37 Cads. That would be the Mannix, (MGM) ‘37 V16. Remember when that insurance guy in Texas posted it for sale in OCW ? About 30 years or so ago for $50,000. Of course I called only to hear a drawl : “First guy to call bought it.” I did see it shortly after that. TWB IV had it in Scottsdale for $225,000. Last saw it at Volo, being flogged for an Indiana owner. I believe only 52 ‘37 V16s were built. The last of the OHV V16s, and the only year for juice brakes on those complex road locomotives. The Mannix was an unrestored original with something like 32,000 miles, and I crave the elegance of luxuriously appointed old closed cars. Hmmmmm................ Too much cryin’ over spilt milk. I have googled it up from time to time. I think I will torment myself by doing so right now..............     -    Carl.  

Edited by C Carl
Refinement (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 2:02 PM, GregLaR said:

Thanks dl,

I've just recently finished my latest project and toying with the idea of another.  I saw this Cadillac before and thought, while the car is nice, the drive train change-up was a shame.  I'm happy to hear it was a floor shift rather than a column shift, which would probably be much more difficult to reassemble parts for.  If I follow through I'll be sure to contact you re: engines/trans.  How far are you from southern California?

Greg

Let me know if you get serious. Located in Ohio. Happy to help.

Dennis

• Like 1

A spectacular-looking car, Greg, and a nice project. If you do proceed, I hope you're of average stature, because that front seat moves for no one.

As has been said, the 346 is a great motor, and the original Caddy trans shifts like butter.

As pretty as the cosmetics are, that asking price needs a little massaging....