What car/manufacturer is featured in this video?

ply33

Here is a link to the video: https://archive.org/details/45354-1920s-auto-industry-mos

The claim is that it is about Ford but that obviously isn’t correct. I am not even positive it is about one manufacturer or several as a wood frame body is shown at one point but when the glass is installed there appears to be a metal structure to the body.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video

All of the factory scenes are most likely the Willys-Overland plant in Toledo.

Cars are WK model 70.

58L, speaking of labor intense, just matching tolerances of those knight engines (bore, inner sleeve, outer sleeve, pistons)

was labor intense. They were measured and assigned a letter designation to match in assembly. A through D as I recall.

Dennis

6 minutes ago, dl456 said:

Nice video

All of the factory scenes are most likely the Willys-Overland plant in Toledo.

Cars are WK model 70.

58L, speaking of labor intense, just matching tolerances of those knight engines (bore, inner sleeve, outer sleeve, pistons)

was labor intense. They were measured and assigned a letter designation to match in assembly. A through D as I recall.

Dennis

Dennis: 

Thanks for the insight on the Knight sleeve valve manufacturing process.  It had to be within tight tolerances to work without binding when at operating temperature but not too loose when cold.  Small wonder as the Willys-Knight sales fell during the early Depression years, the model reduced to one by 1933 then disappeared.   They do have a distinct sound to their exhaust which had to be a contrast to the poppet valve engines of the time.