Hey all Nash lovers, I'm considering a new acquisition of one of these in a recent well restored state, though I have not seen it in person as yet. Where does this particular model sit regards to its prestige, it's obviously not at a Duesenberg/Cord/Cadillac/Packard level ,etc., or as low as a Ford or Chev (no disrespect to those guys), I was thinking more like high end Buicks, Chryslers etc. I'm a Mopar man and have no idea.

And what is the rough value range of this particular model in well restored condition. Also, anything to look out for in terms of particular traits of these vehicles, ie., engine, gearbox, brakes and so forth.

The 1090 Nash Ambassador (142" wheelbase) is a great car and there are almost zero of alive.

I remember when Richard Bloomquist had this car for sale years ago and I really wanted it.  He was looking for 75k.   This is at 32.

The 34 you pictured looks great without the rear wheel cover.   There is a red one floating around that doesn't look as good.

Nash1090Ambassador.jpg

Thanks for your reply. Like you, I'm not keen on a red body on any vintage car. The wheel covers do give it much more of a prestige look. This one that I am eyeing off is priced at about us$48k

I have the exact same 1934 LWB that was sold by Bonhams. Same long 142 inch wheelbase and two side windows instead of three windows. Only difference is that my vehicle has wire wheels instead of the artillery wheels and my car has dual sidemounts. Long beautiful vehicle F.O.B. from Kenosha factory at $1,850 per unit which price was more than a Buick, less than a Cadillac, and "streamline" styling by the famous Alexis de Sakhoffsky.  One of the magazine ads at the time in 1934 has a little girl (after seeing that "Dad" purchased the car) asking her father the following question:  "Daddy, are we richer that we used to be?" The only car I am aware that existed in that era that had dual starters other than a Rolls Royce. My vehicle is restored (armature job) but presentable. Finding parts is difficult.   I am still looking for two hubcaps for the sidemounts to replace the 1933 Hubcaps that are on the sidemounts.  The 1934 high-end coupe with rumble seat for Nash is a very rare vehicle. One was for sale 2.5 years ago in Sacramento. The seller (age 80+) wanted too much for the car which car was sky blue (factory color) and a very attractive car. Not sure if he ever sold the car however. 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

I have the exact same 1934 LWB that was sold by Bonhams. Same long 142 inch wheelbase and two side windows instead of three windows. Only difference is that my vehicle has wire wheels instead of the artillery wheels and my car has dual sidemounts. Long beautiful vehicle F.O.B. from Kenosha factory at $1,850 per unit which price was more than a Buick, less than a Cadillac, and "streamline" styling by the famous Alexis de Sakhoffsky.  One of the magazine ads at the time in 1934 has a little girl (after seeing that "Dad" purchased the car) asking her father the following question:  "Daddy, are we richer that we used to be?" The only car I am aware that existed in that era that had dual starters other than a Rolls Royce. My vehicle is restored (armature job) but presentable. Finding parts is difficult.   I am still looking for two hubcaps for the sidemounts to replace the 1933 Hubcaps that are on the sidemounts.  The 1934 high-end coupe with rumble seat for Nash is a very rare vehicle. One was for sale 2.5 years ago in Sacramento. The seller (age 80+) wanted too much for the car which car was sky blue (factory color) and a very attractive car. Not sure if he ever sold the car however. 

Pictures please?

Do you mean dual ignition, not starter?

• Like 1

My dad drove a Nash through 1938-40 with the dual ignition and worm drive. They used it as a van for their band. The Vagabonds. 

Thanks gents for the information, I may have to pass on this if parts availability is an issue. Though its a beautiful looking automobile.

• 2 weeks later...

With incredible styling by Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky, these are truly awesome cars in their fine details.   Recognized by the CCCA too, are they not.  

I've considered several but the one I really missed was the one and only Coupe that was for sale in New Zealand and ended up in the UK last I heard.  Kick myself on that one!

53003628_2278017972519485_3924761176877039616_o.jpg

nash30.jpg

fs_nash34.jpg

• Like 3
11 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

Stop kicking yourself. There is still a 1934 Coupe for sale I think in Loomis California. 

That lead and no other info.  Come on,  your killing us.  Give us some details. 

• Like 1
On 4/2/2021 at 9:28 PM, BucketofBolts said:

Stop kicking yourself. There is still a 1934 Coupe for sale I think in Loomis California. 

There are a LOT of LaFayettes out there.  Some "Advanced" 6s and 8s on the 121" w.b.   An Ambassador on the other hand, is on a 133" wheelbase.

40_12_sba.jpg

Edited by StillOutThere (see edit history)

I spoke to the owner 2+ years past, a fellow about 84+ now assuming he is still shaking the trees at his age. He had it at auction but the high BID did not make the "reserve". I think he still owns this car. The color is correct as I have an Ambassador Sedan Model 1297 LWB at 144 inch that is the same color. A littler more than two years ago at the auction I did not see a problem with the springs. The restoration was by the owner himself. The car was in great shape and drove well. A very rare car but not concourse. Sometimes it is very difficult to let a car go when you have so many hours and decades of your life invested in restoring the car. Sadly none of his many children are old car enthusiasts so he has no offspring to pass on this lovely car. Now for me I purchased not one but five 1933 Buick cars just because they remind me of my Dad who owned a 1933 Victoria Coupe since after WW2 when he needed a cheap ride to go back & forth to University on the GI Bill. Every time I see an image of a 1933 Buick I think fond memories of my Dad. If I had the $$$$$ I would have purchased a B- 26 Martin Marauder because that was the plane my Dad flew in WW2. 

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, maok said:

Where does this particular model sit regards to its prestige, it's obviously not at a Duesenberg/Cord/Cadillac/Packard level ,etc., or as low as a Ford or Chev (no disrespect to those guys), I was thinking more like high end Buicks, Chryslers etc. I'm a Mopar man and have no idea.

The Nash Advanced and Ambassador Eights were part of a short-lived phenomenon that arose in the late 1920's frenzied prosperity.  Medium-priced automaker, taking note the increasing sales popularity of the entry-level luxury cars such as mid-$2,000's Packard Six and LaSalle, decided to develop model series that would slot in price-wise above $1,750 to the $2,200 mark.   In order to compete, they had to match or better the specifications of those popular luxury makes.  Consequently, 126" wb and above 300 ci displacement engines plus transitioning to eight cylinders from larger sixes defines the group.  The late 1920's was generally the end of the period for American-made, six cylinder luxury cars, Franklin notwithstanding.  Imported six cylinder luxury makes were still considered prestigious.

The long list introduced between 1926-1932 included, Chrysler Imperial L-80, Studebaker President Eight, Graham-Paige 835, 629 & 827, 837, Hudson Models O & L, Hupmobile Custom Eight Model H & U, Buick 129, 60 and 90, Auburn 115, 120, 125, Nash 490, 890-990, Advanced & Ambassador 1090-1290, Elcar 96, 120, 130, Gardner 8-95, 125, 130, 140, 150, Kissel 8-95, REO Royale 8-31, 8-35, Willys-Knight 66 & 66A.   As these luxury contender arrived, so did the economic reversal that immediate evaporated their market segment.  Some were in development at the turn only to be introduced into that rapidly plummeting economy, wonderful cars but an exercise in futility.   Those automakers that didn't fail immediately gave their premium models a few seasons in the event the Depression would prove short-lived.  Once its durability was manifest and the losses mounted, rationalization of their model selections occurred, a few salvaging the name to elevate a lower-priced 'luxury' model as line-leader. 

Ask a simple question, get a dissertation. 

• Like 3