Saw this big old Buick on my lawn this morning....

keiser31

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

The 4x8 ft plywood sheet was NEVER the ultimate criteria for making it a station wagon,

It is the criteria for calling a vehicle a full sized wagon starting in the 60s. I do not know of any 50s or earlier station wagon that would carry 4 x 8 sheet laying down. Since I did not own a pick up truck until 2000, my full sized wagons (first was a 66 Chevy Biscayne) were my enclosed trucks. Think of a truck with a camper shell and environmental control in the bed.😁

On a different thought, I could haul 2 x 4 x 8 lumber in my 81 ElDorado Diesel.....  even hauled my 2 1/2 ton Trane condenser unit by taking the passenger seat out. 😲  You do what you have to do with the tools you have at the time....👍 

Crosley station wagons are cute! So are Lakewoods....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

The turn signals on the front of this behemoth are not factory installed. They look out of place.  

Look like driving or fog lamps, aftermarket style.

All of the vehicles I've had with a tailgate have been able to load a 4'x8' piece of plywood (except the Astre Wagon). Can also load 10' pipes (passenger seat also folds down).. Others were longer or wider but the Jeep is the tallest by a foot (find it very useful in heavy traffic to see over).

4 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

If you define station wagon as Matt and I do (no plywood test), there are still a number made by European OEM's, many still exported here.  The body style is popular there.

Agree !

We absolutely loved our matched pair of 1971 Citroen D-21 Station Wagons (Breaks), assembled a week apart, and identical, other than A/C style and antenna placement. They were not wide enough to haul 4x8 plywood, but outstanding in their own way. I'd love to find another in great condition, and also a DS Chapron convertible - but they're beyond affordable, at least to me.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:51 AM, rocketraider said:

Not a K. Ed's wagon is Diplomat/Gran Fury/5th Avenue platform. Though Chrysler did put "Town and Country" moniker on the high-line K wagons and even MINIVANS! 😫

What an insult to a proud name. At least a wagon has a wood-bodied heritage.

I believe that was the F-M platform.  The lesser Aspen and Volares were originally 'F' bodies, and when the 'upper' range models, LeBaron, Diplomat, (and Caravelle in Canada) came out later, they were the 'M' body.

Craig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Well, I call my Dakota a pick up, but guess what.

Is not 4 ft. wide.

I also have an F350 so it took me a few years to learn about the narrow Dakota.

Reminds me of the kid I saw at Home Depot trying to load 4x8 plywood into a four-door short bed Ram 2500 pickup. The short bed had a tool box riding in it which took up more room. Even with gate down 2 feet of the plywood panel hung out past the tailgate.

Kid says to me "sometimes I hate this truck".

😺

On 3/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

owned one of these as part of a period between 1999 and 2004 when I was a crazed collector of 94-96 GM full size cars that all utilized the LT-1 drivetrain.

I am the B-body Roadmaster tech guy listed inside the cover of The Buick Bugle. I gave up two sedans to the road salt. I had my Chevy out a couple of days ago.

003.thumb.JPG.ec26b9f029e7c20c70e7d64b9850ea0a.JPG

Good cars, but the SS has a factory 3" lowering springs. My wife can't ride in it anymore. We went to a Tahoe for her 5 years ago.

The Chevy Impala stays out of the salt. Bought it in '12 and put about 15,000 miles on it. I drive it just often enough so it continues to be a treat each time.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, Matt Harwood said:

As the owner of the car in question, I wonder what else you'd call such a thing?

TourX1.thumb.jpg.0efd84fa701e3eed73c04902472d5cf6.jpg

That's too nice to be considered a station wagon... probably one of the nicest looking wagons ever made imo

Station wagon criteria according to Web Stirs (see what I did there?)
Boat like

Fugly

Hideous

(also see Griswold or 1970s, 80s, or 90s vehicles of just about any kind)

Lighten up ya'll... it's all in fun

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Thanks for posting John. That wagon is one of the few cars that I can recall, where for me function trumps styling. I was never a huge fan of the GM styling, but when GM lost their way and ditched the platform in favor of FWD, I was stunned. That car became the last real station wagon. RWD, powerful, full sized, decent mileage and the last of it's kind. IMHO an instant icon. What's not to like?

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)

My mom bought a brand new Chevrolet Impala station wagon in 1965, so it was the car I learned to drive in.  At the time, I just considered it a big hunk of metal and rubber that got me and my girl  and my surfboard to the beach and back.  

65chevwag.jpg

65chevwag1.jpg

• Like 3

I had an 85 Caprice as a knock around car when I am at my house in Florida. I replaced it when my Mother In Law who just passed away at 101 years old this past summer gave me this 1988 Celebrity Wagon that her and my Father In Law bought new. Both wagons have the extra seat, I always got a kick over the ashtrays back there.

003.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice!  I bought my 95CCC wagon 2 years ago and absolutely love the car!  Every time it's out - which is every day cause it's my daily driver - I have conversations with people that always start with "I remember when..."  At the NC Region meet 2 weeks ago in New Bern, we couldn't walk away from the car as so many people came by to chat, reminisce and show their kids the rear-facing 3rd row.  We're taking it on our first AACA tour next week in WV and cannot wait!

PXL_20210316_111823444.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 1

My 1965 Studebaker Wagonaire won't take a 4x8 sheet of plywood lying flat, but it will take a full-size refrigerator standing up.  My 2012 Ford Expedition EL will take 4x8 sheets laying flat with the seats folded down and the hatch door still closes.

65Wagonaire_back_Ash.jpg.93b19f57f47c1afed357ccf41c279c01.jpg

My Wagonaire was used in a fashion photo shoot.  The model was cute but clueless.

666266450_64Wagonaire_ad_BWsm.jpg.5372a0d12b393422beb5d192fc42c797.jpg

Original ad for a Wagonaire.  Note the fold-down step on the tailgate.  And, yes, Brooks Stevens did the designs for the Wagonaire and the Jeep Wagoneer.

• Like 4

I learned to drive a stick shift in my beloved Grandpa's 1957 Chevy 210 series wagon. No way it would have accommodated a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, but I worshipped that car. It had the small 265 V8 engine, with 3-on-the-tree and factory overdrive. It had a low-ratio rear end, not sure of the exact number.

When I would visit my grandparents during summer break (about 45 miles from my home), he would allow me to drive him to his 2nd shift job, and then cruise around town till he got off work at 11pm. (My dad was really strict, and I was rarely ever allowed to drive any car in our hometown). I would put down all the back seats, open the rear tail gate window, take the air cleaner off that 2-barrel carb, pile a couple of buddies in the front seat beside me, and thought I was the top hot rodder around. That carb sucking air sounded awesome, and the old spare pair of rear wheels he kept around for my use would squeal and leave "patches" that wowed my friends. I'm so lucky that I never broke it, or caused an accident with it. 

In my senior year my Grandpa asked my parents' permission to give me the car for my own. My dad wisely refused, but I was heartbroken...

57 Chevy wagon Ralph Montgomery 001.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I always thought that the 1955-57 Chevy Nomad models were the most beautiful station wagons ever made. But later in life I started noticing the 1957 Buick and 1957 Oldsmobile wagons. Man, those are gorgeous. I also liked the Pontiac Safari 2-door wagons, of course. 

Sigh. I need a bigger shop, and a much bigger wallet. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

Hi Lump,

I really enjoyed reading about your Grandpa and your fun with his ‘57 Chevy wagon. Well, I am older than your Grandpa was at the time, but that anecdote is objective proof that not only was he once a young high school lad,  but could still remember being one !     🙂😊❤️           -     Carl 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Carl - can’t we all remember those days!  Of course we only really remember the good parts and I’m sure those memories are somewhat embellished!  Rightfully so. 
dave s 

Somewhat embellished indeed, Dave !,

But the guys and gals of our American Luckiest Generation  actually lived in a bit of an “American Graffiti “ period. Right ? I don’t think kids today live that semi innocent , carefree, mythical “Ozzie and Harriet” embellished existence we did. I ran a mean still down in the chem lab after school, cookin’ up a bit of white lightnin’.  I was in A.P. chemistry and served as a kind of T.A. to the regular chem class, so my distillation technique was extremely precise. I’ve sipped a bit of high quality ‘shine over the years since. In retrospect, mine seen after the passage of so many decades compares well. But I am quite sure I have embellished the quality in my mind.

To keep an antique car connection here, I drove a dark green ‘49 Cad model 62 sedan back then. Would have been a cool rum runner in some circles back when it rolled off the line. For the times, they were a very fast reliable vehicle which handled quite well. 1950 Cads placing 10th and 11th at Le Mans goes to prove that !!

Oh those high school hi jinx early ‘60s days ! Never to be repeated !   -   Carl 

• Like 2

American Graffiti type of high school days indeed - even if it was in our own minds and we may not have even known it then.  Started my legal driving career in my older brothers 54 BelAir 2 door 6 cyl when he went off to college. Moved on to a 57 Desoto small hemi 2 door, then a 60 Chevy Impala bright red convertible and finally a 62 Tbird.  Spent a lot of time in the back of my buddies chevy wagon with 7 or 8 other guys & gals.  I am sure my memories are greatly enhanced but they are still mine to enjoy.  Enjoy I will and hopefully for a long time. Some may say I'm a legend in my own mind and that's OK by me. 

dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 2:51 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I owned one of these as part of a period between 1999 and 2004 when I was a crazed collector of 94-96 GM full size cars that all utilized the LT-1 drivetrain. My first was a 95 Caprice 9C-1 ex Texas DPS unmarked cruiser. It was the best beater ever and led me to buy a 95 Roadmaster wagon looking just like the one pictured. From there I bought a 95 Chev Impala SS and then a 96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for my father-in law. These were all fairly high mileage cars when I bought them and needed some normal service but were all basically bulletproof, ran on regular gas and were a joy to drive.

Many years later I tried to relive the magic and bought a nice low mileage 96 Caprice 9C-1. BIG mistake, age had removed all magic and replaced it with a money pit. You can't go home again...

DSCF2431.JPG

IMG_0005.jpg

DSCF0771.JPG

DSCF2412.JPG

1.JPG

The 96 Fleetwood Brougham is the best of the bunch.  A LT-1 V8 suprised a lot of Honda's with loud mufflers

when 6 Qtips in the Fleetwood blew them away at the stop lights.  Marty is right to keep them, wish had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Don't mess with old guys in an old car. They'll **** you up and then laugh at you!"

Some pony punk kid here told his buddies that, after a certain 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire (wearing whitewalls and wire wheel covers 😳) had just handed his 5.0 Fox Mustang its arse... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One thing I never understood is "will it carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood?" Come on, how often does anyone other than a builder/ contractor/renovator actually need to carry that? If you do, why don't you have a longbox pickup or extended van?

If you need to carry that mythical 4X8 plywood once a year I'm sure the lumberyard where you paid thru the nose for it can arrange delivery, or trade a buddy for the day for his pickup for your station wagon!!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 6:55 PM, rocketraider said:

"Don't mess with old guys in an old car. They'll **** you up and then laugh at you!"

Some pony punk kid here told his buddies that, after a certain 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire (wearing whitewalls and wire wheel covers 😳) had just handed his 5.0 Fox Mustang its arse... 

Our '95 Fleetwood Brougham with the LT-1 and posi-traction is just that kind of surprise machine for the "Rice-Rocket" crowd who think that a dangerously lowered mini-coffin with badly cambered gumball tires and an offensively loud stainless Cat-Back exhaust magically becomes a pocket rocket.

Yes, I smile at the opportunity ...

• Like 1

Oh Marty, you're wicked...

In the Mustang kid's defense, how was he to know the big blue Oldsmobile was packing 345 hp thru a 3.42 posi rear end? 😺

*edit* Back to wagons, I wonder if any 64 Olds 88 wagons came thru with a Starfire engine and 3.42 gearing. Need to dig out my books and see if that combination was even available in the wagon. We all know a lot of wagons packed big heat underhood... to TOW WITH!😉

• Like 1