Saw this big old Buick on my lawn this morning....

I bought one new in 1992, it was a great looking car, thinking about it, I have to say it was the best looking new car I ever purchased,,,, but one of the worst cars I ever owned, I never had a car that needed a transmission rebuild  until that one, I enjoyed paying for it so much I had it done three times!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
26 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Still like these. Sold mine a few years back due to floor pan rust. Salted roads killed a lot of them up here.

This is one of two the guy has and they are both rust free.

• Like 2

Those that survived rust died when water or coolant leaked on the opti-spark.

• Haha 2
35 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

...We call it "The Griswold"....

Nah, it's not puke green.  🤣  Some Wagon Queen Family Truckster trivia...one of the five originals from the movie brought only $40K at auction but a later non-movie replica brought $100K - crazy!

• Like 1

The whole 20 years I drove my 78 Olds Custom Cruiser to work, it was known thruout the plant as "the Griswold machine". I like those big 90s GM wagons but hard to find nice ones here. 

Bought my 91 Caprice wagon new and had it undercoated by the dealership in Newport News, VA, before I drove it off the lot.  Brought it to FL and it still rotted away from the inside out.  Wife and I both really liked the car except for the rust.  Still under warranty had rust repair around the roof rack and both sides of the tailgate.  Finally got rid of it after 14 years with the tailgate supports completely rusted away.  Kids grown and gone.  I had a new Suburban, and I bought the wife a new Corvette to replace it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not a K. Ed's wagon is Diplomat/Gran Fury/5th Avenue platform. Though Chrysler did put "Town and Country" moniker on the high-line K wagons and even MINIVANS! 😫

What an insult to a proud name. At least a wagon has a wood-bodied heritage.

Friend has a 77 LeSabre Estate. He and his 14yo daughter love it. His wife refuses to even ride in it much less drive it. "IT'S A STATION WAGON!"

Yet she will happily drive her T&C minivan anywhere. She's on her third. For a stylish woman she has no sense of style in vehicles! When I point that out she says "you and Tim just keep driving your old Griswold-mobiles!"

• Like 1
16 hours ago, George Cole said:

Bought my 91 Caprice wagon new and had it undercoated by the dealership in Newport News, VA, before I drove it off the lot.  Brought it to FL and it still rotted away from the inside out.

You must live near the coast/beach.  Here in Paisley, I'm about 36 miles from the beach as the salt spray flies, and rust isn't a problem here.  Even when I lived in Miami, rust was only a minor annoyance to cars parked outdoors; however, in the Florida Keys, vehicle rust is almost as bad a problem as in the Bahamas.

Cheers,

Grog

8 minutes ago, capngrog said:

You must live near the coast/beach.  Here in Paisley, I'm about 36 miles from the beach as the salt spray flies, and rust isn't a problem here.  Even when I lived in Miami, rust was only a minor annoyance to cars parked outdoors; however, in the Florida Keys, vehicle rust is almost as bad a problem as in the Bahamas.

Cheers,

Grog

3 blocks.  

• Like 1

Along with 91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser, I think so. Ford abandoned big passenger car based wagons in 1992 and Chrysler in 1990. Ford built Taurus wagons up thru 2005. I guess you could technically say Dodge Magnums and Ford Flexes are station wagons.

I get amused at people who drive Suburbans and Expeditions and get bent when someone like me points out that their big SUV is just an outsized station wagon (it IS!😠). Like my buddy's wife they see a stigma to owning a station wagon. 

Since my Custom Cruiser's demise a 'Burban is about the only option available. Wagons didn't survive all that well and a nice older one would be tough for me to use as a hauler. Some foreign makes still have them but can't lay a 4x8 plywood sheet in them.

18 hours ago, keiser31 said:

This is one of two the guy has and they are both rust free.

Sorry, this is the first thing that came to mind. 😀 I'm sure my tastes and interests are puzzling to people as well.

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Along with 91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser, I think so. Ford abandoned big passenger car based wagons in 1992 and Chrysler in 1990. Ford built Taurus wagons up thru 2005. I guess you could technically say Dodge Magnums and Ford Flexes are station wagons.

I get amused at people who drive Suburbans and Expeditions and get bent when someone like me points out that their big SUV is just an outsized station wagon (it IS!😠). Like my buddy's wife they see a stigma to owning a station wagon. 

No, they are pick-up trucks with permanently attached caps.  CUV's are station wagons with a poorer center of gravity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wet Opti Spark is a minor inconvenience to the wallet. And “good” exercise for the back. 😩

I did my 94 Caprice wagon once, around 100 K and still OK at 268K. 96 Buick wagon is currently off road at bout 120K, and water pump is showing a leak, already got AC Delco pump ready to install. Not a winter driver.

I already formed the left rear quarter on the Chevy from fiberglass.....😉   it was a winter driver. And I have replaced every steel line with Cunifer. I bought it almost 20 years ago from a used car friend who said ”perfect for 😄you, needs a little bodywork” due to minor garage swipes. I drove it instead of fixing all the scrapes. Transmission had already been rebuilt when I bought it at 65K miles. 

GREAT CARS!👌

• Thanks 1

CUVs are way too small to be real station wagons. The only thing on full sized frames are trucks, so  Tahoe, Suburban, etc are the current station wagons. And only if they can carry 4 x 8 sheet goods laying down.😉

• Like 1

I've never looked. Can you fold down a modern 'Burban's second row seat to gain load floor room, or do you have to take the thing completely out like the older ones? Real station wagon seats fold flat!😏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I owned one of these as part of a period between 1999 and 2004 when I was a crazed collector of 94-96 GM full size cars that all utilized the LT-1 drivetrain. My first was a 95 Caprice 9C-1 ex Texas DPS unmarked cruiser. It was the best beater ever and led me to buy a 95 Roadmaster wagon looking just like the one pictured. From there I bought a 95 Chev Impala SS and then a 96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for my father-in law. These were all fairly high mileage cars when I bought them and needed some normal service but were all basically bulletproof, ran on regular gas and were a joy to drive.

Many years later I tried to relive the magic and bought a nice low mileage 96 Caprice 9C-1. BIG mistake, age had removed all magic and replaced it with a money pit. You can't go home again...

DSCF2431.JPG

IMG_0005.jpg

DSCF0771.JPG

DSCF2412.JPG

1.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

I've never looked. Can you fold down a modern 'Burban's second row seat to gain load floor room, or do you have to take the thing completely out like the older ones? Real station wagon seats fold flat!😏

The new ones 3d row seats fold flat.  Second row seat backs fold down electrically to be level with rear deck or folds up against the back of the front seats manually, limiting cargo length.  3d row folds flat, all electrically controlled.  If you arrive at the airport to pick up people and 3d row seats decide not to fold or unfold, you're screwed...as mine already did.  There's a service bulletin out on it.  Warranty replaced the entire 3d row seat frame, and it still had the same problem so they replaced it again.  Have only had to use 3d row seats once.  Stays folded flat all the time for cargo.  Seats folded flat versus removable limits cargo height by 7".  Tailgate is also all electrically controlled.  No manual backup.  Can't wait for that to fail...as it eventually will like all other electrically operated equipment.  My neighbor's already did in his Tahoe.  He had a bunch of stuff in the back which was too big to get out through the side doors and blocked access to the tailgate from the inside.  Not sure how the dealership finally got into it.

23 hours ago, padgett said:

Those that survived rust died when water or coolant leaked on the opti-spark.

Our '94 and '95 Caddy Fleetwood Broughams with the same driveline never had water leak / Opti-spark issues with well over 150,xxx miles.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

When did Buick stop building station wagons. I thought they were always good looking. 
dave s 

Last year. 2020 was the final year of it I believe. They didn't seem to sell well. Not sure I've ever seen one driving. If I didn't see one at the New York International Auto Show in 2019 I would not have known they existed.

20198124-vi.jpg

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
2 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

As a long time wagon owner I have trouble calling that a station wagon.

As the owner of the car in question, I wonder what else you'd call such a thing?

TourX1.thumb.jpg.0efd84fa701e3eed73c04902472d5cf6.jpg

• Like 1

Have had two "estate cars" ('92 Pontiac TranSport between) - keep cars I like for decades - both bought new.

'72 Pontiac A-body wagon: 211" long, 76.7" wide 116" wheel base 52" high, fold down 2nd seat (mine had a rear storage compartment rather than a third seat.
'12 Grand Cherokee 189.8 long 73.3" wide 114.8 wheelbase 69.4" high, fold down 2nd seat (no 3rd) rear storage compartment.

Both made great tow/trip cars. '72 got 15mpg cruise on interstate (no tow) and had 200 hp. Jeep gets 24 mpg same and 290 hp.

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

On my expedition the seats lay flat when folded down. I have the short version though and it will not hold a full sheet of plywood. Its comparible to a tahoe. The XL will they compare to a suburban

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

My first was a 95 Caprice 9C-1 ex Texas DPS unmarked cruiser

My brother is a retired Sheriff Deputy here in New York, his career started in the late 1980's and lasted 25 years. He drove every make and model from the Big Three auto makers. Hands down, the Chevrolet Caprice was his favorite model ( 1991-96 ) to drive !

image.thumb.png.5380e7478487a878d11ed2f132e84877.png

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

As the owner of the car in question, I wonder what else you'd call such a thing?

TourX1.thumb.jpg.0efd84fa701e3eed73c04902472d5cf6.jpg

Matt- can you lay a 4x8 panel in there? Crossover utility vehicle. Not enough room inside to call it a true wagon. Did GM market it as such?

So fitting a 4x8 sheet of drywall is the sole criteria for determining what's a station wagon? Not the fact that the Buick is based on a sedan, not a truck or SUV platform? Or the fact that it has a car suspension with less than 5 inches of ground clearance, unlike a crossover or SUV? Or that it has only two rows of seats with the back seat folding flat instead of sitting on top of the floor as in a truck or SUV? Or that it looks, acts, and drives like a car from behind the wheel, not a tall truck or SUV?

Additionally, Buick did in fact, market it as a wagon, not an SUV or crossover utility vehicle. Here's Buick.com saying it's a "Boldly Designed Luxury Wagon" as the very first hit on Google. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but almost every review and article after that specifically refers to it as a wagon, not an SUV or crossover.

BuickWagon.thumb.jpg.37514da152b34773df537a4149c44cdb.jpg

This won't carry a 4x8 sheet, either, and has considerably more ground clearance than the Buick. They're actually about the same size, although the Chrysler is taller. Should I tell Melanie to stop calling it a station wagon?

Chrysler2.thumb.jpg.1e90ce8a923918d376d74897d125fd54.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Matt- can you lay a 4x8 panel in there? Crossover utility vehicle. Not enough room inside to call it a true wagon. Did GM market it as such?

Sorry to disagree,

but even Crosley offered a (microsized) Station Wagon,

as well as the 1950s Rambler, Studebaker, and so many others.

The 4x8 ft plywood sheet was NEVER the ultimate criteria for making it a station wagon, at least as I recall,

and I'm still moderately sharp for an old fart.

• Like 1

I stand corrected.☺️

But thet still don't look like nare station wagon in my experience!😺 Guess I drove the big ones for too long.

I'd like to have another GM Clamshell wagon, particularly Olds or Chevrolet. Totally ridiculous size-wise and about as efficient as a brick, but I really liked the two I owned. Trouble is the demo derby crowd really liked them too.