Garage Music?

BobinVirginia

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

A Buffalo Springfield spinoff like Loggins and Messina and Poco.

Loggins and Messina "Angry Eyes" came on my random playlist today, right after The Rolling Stones "Can't you Hear Me Knockin" 

I like listening to Jeff Beck also, who is a passionate car guy, who does must of his own work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxUH33e_Xc

48 minutes ago, John348 said:

Loggins and Messina "Angry Eyes" came on my random playlist today, right after The Rolling Stones "Can't you Hear Me Knockin" 

I like listening to Jeff Beck also, who is a passionate car guy, who does must of his own work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxUH33e_Xc

Yes John, Jeff Beck. Becks Bolero...Total PSYCHEDELIC surf music !!!!!

Do you guys remember POCO? Country/Rock/Jazz. Seems like it always starts out country and then wow takes off !!!!

Poco / Hurry Up

Poco / Hurry Up - YouTube   and 

Poco - Pickin' Up The Pieces

Poco - Pickin' Up The Pieces - YouTube

7 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Yes John, Jeff Beck. Becks Bolero...Total PSYCHEDELIC surf music !!!!!

Do you guys remember POCO? Country/Rock/Jazz. Seems like it always starts out country and then wow takes off !!!!

Poco / Hurry Up

Poco / Hurry Up - YouTube   and 

Poco - Pickin' Up The Pieces

Poco - Pickin' Up The Pieces - YouTube

Don't recall Poco but I remember Procol Harum (barely)

Damn, now you got me wanting to listen to some old Cream..

• Thanks 1

My late father was a violist - 1st viola of the RI Philharmonic Orchestra for many years. As a result I grew up in a world of classical music. We literally didn't have a radio in the house and no one ever listened to pop music...my brothers and sister included. When I had an antique car garage we were usually there on Saturday working on our own cars. It was my policy to be welcoming to anyone in the neighborhood who wanted to stop in to see the cars - which may have paid off in that of all the businesses in that run-down old mill, mine was the only one that never had a break in. But, needless to say, we did have work to do and some of the visitors wanted a lot of attention. One Saturday we had the Metropolitan Opera on Paul's radio along with a particularly demanding visitor...Paul wanted to shake him without insulting him and I heard him interrupt him with "stop...there's a fantastic aria coming up that I have to hear." He got a puzzled look and the visitor wandered off.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Half as long and ten times nastier than the original. Has become my favorite version. Good to listen to riding in something like a Hurst/Olds...

Glenn,

I never heard that version, very different, different lyrics, without the girls singing the harmony and Bobby Keys on the sax, it has a "raw" sound, it is great! I wonder if this was the AM radio version, there is a whole verse missing which at the time would not get airplay in the day. "Y'all got cocaine eyes, and speed freak jive" 

50 minutes ago, padgett said:

"does must of his own work" Amazing he is older than I am.

Jeff Beck looks great for his age, I don't think he was as much of a substance abuser as his contemporaries, I had seen him perform several times, and most recently as a few years ago.  

The 1928 Victor VE 7-26 Radio/Phonograph  playing tunes of 1925-1935. Ruth Etting, Paul Whitman, George Olsen, The Arden-Ohman Orchestra, Coon-Sanders Orcherstra, Belle Baker,  Ray Noble with vocals by Al Bowly, Bebe Daniels, Josephine Baker, Sophie Tucker, Red Nichols, Ben Bernie, Ukulele Ike (Cliff Edwards), The Boswell Sisters, and on and on.

I broadcast AM from http://www.dismuke.org/ to all the radios in the house and garage.

Kurt M

VE 7-26.JPG

Edited by jukejunkie1015 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:56 PM, wayne sheldon said:

My son had me listening to some Scottish rock group awhile back. I rather enjoyed it. (Even though they didn't have any bagpipes!)

Then we must rectify that! though these Scots expats are usually better for "spirited" driving than garage work...

You may remember the unusual Christmas gifts thread where I told you about my 19 year old cousin getting a set of Great Highland pipes. The boy stands just like Bon Scott does here when he plays. Eerie. Like he's channeling Bon.

Cool Thread....I grew up with Bach and Beethoven playing in the house...My mother played it on the piano like a symphonist....sang like Julie Andrews too.  Music = the moment for me....If I'm tweeckin' it's soft and slow....If I'm installin' it's "Rock On"!  ALL music has a moment for every occasion! 

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Then we must rectify that! though these Scots expats are usually better for "spirited" driving than garage work...

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

You may remember the unusual Christmas gifts thread where I told you about my 19 year old cousin getting a set of Great Highland pipes. The boy stands just like Bon Scott does here when he plays. Eerie. Like he's channeling Bon.

I rather enjoyed that video! Fun to watch as well as listen to. I don't think I would have guessed that sound was from bagpipes if I hadn't watched and listened to it. I think I would have liked it even more if the sound mixer had favored the pipes a bit more.

I very much remember you telling of your cousin getting the pipes for Christmas! As I recall, we traded a few comments at the time. I love the sound of bagpipes. It seems to speak so very much to that small amount of Scottish blood I have. Among my very eclectic tastes in music, I can listen to bagpipes for hours!

I drive my family crazy. Some can't stand Jimmie Rodgers, others don't want to hear classical. And the bagpipes can send others running! If I didn't know it was impossible? I would think I was left on the doorstep. Fortunately, for family unity, Nobody in the family has yet found anything they like that I cannot enjoy! At least for a little while.

2 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

The 1928 Victor VE 7-26 Radio/Phonograph  playing tunes of 1925-1935. Ruth Etting, Paul Whitman, George Olsen, The Arden-Ohman Orchestra, Coon-Sanders Orcherstra, Belle Baker,  Ray Noble with vocals by Al Bowly, Bebe Daniels, Josephine Baker, Sophie Tucker, Red Nichols, Ben Bernie, Ukulele Ike (Jimmy Rogers), The Boswell Sisters, and on and on.

I wonder how many people on this forum recognize almost all of the names you mentioned? The Arden-Ohman Orchestra I am not familiar with, and two of the other names I don't know well. All the others like old friends, several gone before I was born. One small bone to pick. Cliff Edwards was Ukulele Ike (and WOW was he GOOD!).

I have over two thousand 78 rpm records from very early into the early 1930s. Listened to almost every one! And dubbed about five hundred of them onto cassette tapes that I still play!

Love that radio phonograph by the way! Beautiful!

For us young cars guys..  Born in the 60's..

Punk was the thing...

Ram Jam - Black Betty is a good song also..

I looked into the leather jacket that the Ramones had.. The company is still in business..

I picked up one for my wife...  Now I need to get one..

Just to make this car related..

Heart - "Barracuda" (1977) is a mopar car.. "Barracuda"

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For the folks that don't remember POCO, the smaller long haired guy in the Eagles, Timothy B. Schmidt was POCO's  lead singer.  They had some good songs. I'm 73 and still a huge Pink Floyd, 10 CC, Beatles, Santa Esmeralda, Moody Blues, Electric Light Orchestra and many others fan. Shoot, I even like the Ink Spots and It's A Beautiful Day groups, ha !  Jackie Wilson, Ray Charles, The Shirells, The Toys, Everly Brothers, Righteous Brothers, and all the groups and singles like that were my favorites during my earlier "got my own radio and record player days, ha !  We do love our music, here's most of the 33 1/3rd albums I have left.  We sold a lot before our move to Hawaii and got rid of all except one 78 (Grandpa Jones 1st plastic 78, with "Uncle Ep's Got The Coon and Gone On"...about a raccoon hunter) and recently gave a radio DJ all my 45s.

IMG_5762.JPG

• Like 2

I saw B52's in a small venue at Uof Del.  My older brother is a piano technician/tuner. There was a large bar, small concert venue in Newark, DE called the Stone Balloon.  In their hayday that had all of the name brand guys there at least once a month sometimes more often. My brother was the house tuner. He would show up on friday afternoons and tune the house piano before every show, he met a lot of the guys mentioned  in these posts that were popular in the late 70's early 80's

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

The 1928 Victor VE 7-26 Radio/Phonograph  playing tunes of 1925-1935. Ruth Etting, Paul Whitman, George Olsen, The Arden-Ohman Orchestra, Coon-Sanders Orcherstra, Belle Baker,  Ray Noble with vocals by Al Bowly, Bebe Daniels, Josephine Baker, Sophie Tucker, Red Nichols, Ben Bernie, Ukulele Ike (Cliff Edwards), The Boswell Sisters, and on and on.

I broadcast AM from http://www.dismuke.org/ to all the radios in the house and garage.

Kurt M

VE 7-26.JPG

51047430046_9d0ae4640d_c.jpg2021-03-17_05-49-37 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Found this in a house today.

• Like 2

The Doors are another good listen in the shop. "LA Woman" came on today and then I remembered this video I has seen on YouTube a while back. It was produced after Morrisons death, done well with a lot of car driving scenes of a Shelby GT, and scenes from the movie Bullet, plus others, a good watch to a great song, more of a driving song then wrenching song, but still a good one. John Densmore has that 'locomotive'  drum beat grove working perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiAQPABgHA

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, John348 said:

The Doors are another good listen in the shop. "LA Woman" came on today and then I remembered this video I has seen on YouTube a while back. It was produced after Morrisons death, done well with a lot of car driving scenes of a Shelby GT, and scenes from the movie Bullet, plus others, a good watch to a great song, more of a driving song then wrenching song, but still a good one. John Densmore has that 'locomotive'  drum beat grove working perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiAQPABgHA

John, speaking of Bullet do you like Lalo Schifrin? one of my favorite composers.

Bullitt | Soundtrack Suite (Lalo Schifrin) - YouTube

Mannix? 

Billy May & His Orchestra - Mannix - YouTube

This next one below is Schifrin at the piano. The interesting part is when the song is finished Schifrin acknowledges the trumpet player and then the drummer. I have never seen that done in a orchestra before in regards to a drummer.

Mission Impossible

Mission Impossible - YouTube

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pfeil said:

John, speaking of Bullet do you like Lalo Schifrin? one of my favorite composers.

Bullitt | Soundtrack Suite (Lalo Schifrin) - YouTube

Mannix? 

Billy May & His Orchestra - Mannix - YouTube

This next one below is Schifrin at the piano. The interesting part is when the song is finished Schifrin acknowledges the trumpet player and then the drummer. I have never seen that done in a orchestra before in regards to a drummer.

Mission Impossible

Mission Impossible - YouTube

Good stuff! 

Here is another one using the the Doors "Roadhouse Blues" to the scenes of "Vanishing Point"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hU6OdT9u2I

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

re: car movies, just watched the VHS of the original "Gone in 60 seconds". Have several DVDs but all are "remastered" and have the redubbed sound track. Terrible. Seems when Toby put together the original, he did not bother with copyrights...

Although I haven't spent to much time in the garage in the past 3 years due to some health issues, now hopefully resolved, when I did I usually listened to jazz and swing music because this is what at an early age ( pre teen years 10 to 12) lead me to realize what a car with running boards was. Some how the music and the cars of that era fit my personality and still do. Yes some 1960s music by the Beach Boys, and Jan & Dean was ok, but the most recent stuff I like was what Linda Ronstadt did with Nelson Riddle. And yes that was all their interpretation of what I already liked anyway.  My favorite source of / for music resides in the basement of my house, because when I bought it the garage here was not heated , as it now is. I restored the music machine I have one winter ( loooong project) in the early 1980s. , it has 24 records that are 78rpm, Wurlitzer made it in 1938-1939 it was the first model to have rotating color cylinders in the pillars. to play the cost is 5 cents per selection ( has a coin slot for a nickel, ten cent and 25 cent coins) Weighs about 300 lbs. Only "upgrade" is the needle to play the original 78 rpm records, I added a later head as the original steel one was chewing up the records due to the weight in the head of the tone arm. For the curious and historic types it is a Model 500.

No I don't have anything that is light weight that I restore and like. 🤪 Record # 1 on the jukebox is Dooley Wilson singing "As time Goes By".

JUKEBOXTWO.jpg

Edited by Walt G
added data (see edit history)
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Although I haven't spent to much time in the garage in the past 3 years due to some health issues, now hopefully resolved, when I did I usually listened to jazz and swing music because this is what at an early age ( pre teen years 10 to 12) lead me to realize what a car with running boards was. Some how the music and the cars of that era fit my personality and still do. Yes some 1960s music by the Beach Boys, and Jan & Dean was ok, but the most recent stuff I like was what Linda Ronstadt did with Nelson Riddle. And yes that was all their interpretation of what I already liked anyway.  My favorite source of / for music resides in the basement of my house, because when I bought it the garage here was not heated , as it now is. I restored the music machine I have one winter ( loooong project) in the early 1980s. , it has 24 records that are 78rpm, Wurlitzer made it in 1938-1939 it was the first model to have rotating color cylinders in the pillars. to play the cost is 5 cents per selection ( has a coin slot for a nickel, ten cent and 25 cent coins) Weighs about 300 lbs. Only "upgrade" is the needle to play the original 78 rpm records, I added a later head as the original steel one was chewing up the records due to the weight in the head of the tone arm. For the curious and historic types it is a Model 500.

No I don't have anything that is light weight that I restore and like. 🤪 Record # 1 on the jukebox is Dooley Wilson singing "As time Goes By".

JUKEBOXTWO.jpg

Walt I know what you mean. I have those LP's of Ronstadt and Riddle. I think for a time it made people of Ronstadt's generation take a hard look at what their parents listened to. I saw them at Universal along with Sinatra and I think it's wonderful that there are some people that can have a consistent quality of sound in or out of the studio. They are so good that no help is needed. Most people that appreciate any kind of good music know not just anyone can be that good.

• Like 2

I grew up listening to classical, Neil Diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, ABBA, Bob Seger and others along those lines. That is what was playing in the house, my mom always had music playing. I have a tab open on the computer while doing car stuff that is playing music. Always fun having Slayer, Sepultura, Godsmack, Metallica, Anthrax, Rammstein or Slipknot playing in the shop when people walked in. Makes them wonder if they are really in the right place.:lol: 

• Haha 1

Years ago, had the Hurst/Olds out. Friend owned a gas station and let the car folks hang out on the lot after closing.

I was hungry and said I was going to Sheetz and did anyone want to ride. Two of the high school boys hopped in (argued over shotgun in the swivel bucket) and when the car lit off the tape deck came on- with a Monster Magnet tape in it. 

Those boys' jaws dropped and eyes popped open. "What?" "You listen to Monster Magnet?!" "Uh, yeah... and your point is?"

Then they had to rifle thru the tape box, finding Filter, NIN and several other bigbeat rocknroll bands.

It's kinda fun to stun and amaze a 17 year old.😏 They're in 30s now and still stay in touch about what they're working on.

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

but the most recent stuff I like was what Linda Ronstadt did with Nelson Riddle. And yes that was all their interpretation of what I already liked anyway.

4 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Walt I know what you mean. I have those LP's of Ronstadt and Riddle. I think for a time it made people of Ronstadt's generation take a hard look at what their parents listened to

Did you know the Animal's famous song "House of the Rising Sun" was originally recorded in 1932? Their version is only slightly altered from a bit later recording in 1936 wherein the words had been changed from the 1932 version. The Animal's version was very close to the 1936 and another later yet version done in the early 1950s. I don't offhand recall who did the earlier versions. But I did get to hear one of the earlier versions.

I don't remember what made me look that up several years ago. I stumbled into a 'factoid' (real but trivial definition) and went searching on the internet. Sometimes what you aren't looking for becomes the most interesting discovery (still somewhat trivial?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1