Stromberg carburetor question

Buick35

I have a down draft two barrel Stromberg on my 35 Buick and my question is should I be able to see gas squirting into the carb. with the engine off while pumping the accelerator ? I can't and I am thinking I have a bad accelerator pump,am I wrong? It starts and runs fine when I squirt has down the carb.Thanks,Greg.

It is possible your accelerator pump is bad.

It is possible nothing is wrong with the pump.

From the "troubleshooting" section of our website:

Accelerator pumps

Accelerator pumps

Often the accelerator pump gets the blame for other problems. It is very easy to test the function of the accelerator pump. Start the engine, and warm to normal operating temperature. Shut off the engine. Remove the air cleaner. The choke butterfly should be fully open, as the engine is warm. Observe the pump jet in the carburetor, and with your hand, work the carburetor throttle to the wide-open position. You should observe a healthy squirt of fuel from the pump jet. A single barrel carburetor will normally squirt a single stream; while a two or four barrel carburetor will normally squirt 2 streams. If you see the stream(s) of fuel, the pump is working. It is important to start the engine prior to doing this test. With modern gasoline, it is quite possible the carburetor will be completely dry prior to starting. If there is no gasoline in the bowl, the pump will not work; and this would give a false result.

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1