Mystery Add-On Piece. Your Thoughts?

A friend on another site shared this puzzle and frankly, I'm stumped.

He has a 1963 Corvette coupe, 57K original miles, orig. drive train and other than one repaint, a very nice unmolested car.  The person he bought it from owned the car since 1978 so it has not been through too many hands. 

Here's the issue, underneath on the driver's side rear, a tube has been added.  It is approx. 3 inches in diameter, opens inside to the rear floor area underneath the carpet (yellow circle area) and exits between the driver's side muffler and the spare tire carrier.  As you can see by the pics, it is not a cheap hack job.  Rather a pretty well executed install meant to last, with its welded flange, gasket and bolt pattern.

Several theories abound but none really make sense.  First thought was some type of drug dump tube for smaller quantities of pot or coke.  But I think the location is too inaccessible for either driver or passenger for this purpose.  Others thought it may be some type of ventilation device but that didn't really wash either.

Being as this car was built at the height of the James Bond craze with his famously tricked out Aston Martin, a more clandestine use could be the answer for this purpose built tube.  The answer just seems elusive today.

Have any of you seen anything like this before?  Any and all ideas considered.

Thanks, Greg

1124591949_vetpipe1.jpeg.f5982ee065031aec050404d866192a66.jpeg2035702136_vetpipe2.jpeg.4dbcf4ef05c7f071c7da0bba435c6da1.jpeg618224484_vetpipe3.jpeg.9b95830da9e64e1f00fcc448837879ae.jpeg348302795_vetpipe4.jpeg.6858f00463144c279ed28a32a49d2827.jpeg

A very James Bond method of dumping the hooch. Maybe it was a test car and engineers used that to run wires and hoses through to outside instruments?

Although, never confuse good workmanship with good ideas. People do some pretty bizarre things and often do them very well . 😀

Ron

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Too big for a water drain. A half inch hole would suffice for that, this is a duct three inches in diameter. It's most likely to run hoses and wires through.

This was likely a test vehicle, back around that time I seem to recall car companies selling ''factory demo'' cars. Nowadays they don't due to liability. Out behind Dearborn engine at the Rouge which I designed and built tooling for, out back there are 30 foot rollaway dumpsters full of brand new engines, that were simply taken off the line for one reason or another and considered contaminated. Everything gets scrapped now. That place is like a hospital inside.

Ron

8 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Did he buy the car sight unseen? If he inspected it before purchase, wouldn’t he have asked what it was? Perhaps the former owner knows.

If a removable flexible tube was inserted to the cab end, it may make an effective pee tube.

Very creative thinking George but this area of floor is up hill from the driver's seat so one would need to keep a large roll of paper towel handy. 😄He said previous owner could not explain it either.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

I had also considered a cooler drain hose but like you said, a half inch hole would have served this purpose.

I wondered about some type of test equipment too or even movie studio use, but could not expand on either.

Appreciate all the input!

31 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Very creative thinking George but this area of floor is up hill from the driver's seat so one would need to keep a large roll of paper towel handy. 😄He said previous owner could not explain it either.

Nahh, just a very strong bladder 😁

• Haha 1

A little follow up info.

Car was sold new in Connecticut and is still there today.  My friend is only the 3rd owner.  Second owner could not recall who the original owner was after so many years but knows he was also from CT.

I got to thinking about this and that car is from the era when stories were still floating around about '59 Chevies lifting due to air across the fins. I would be inclined to think that someone with enough engineering knowledge to be dangerous installed that pipe as a pressure equalizer to prevent air currents over the fastback rook from sucking the rear windows out at high speed.

Them good old boys would sit around and think up stuff like that once they finished getting their baler to bind 180 pound bales. Lots of engineering went on in the back barn. And you could buy a new Corvette by selling three Heffers and a few acres of wheat back in those days.

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

It's odd for sure. Answer is probably in road tests from the time.

Speaking of road tests, I was thinking it might be designed to accommodate wiring for a fifth wheel as used by magazines for performance testing.

Screenshot_2021-03-13 Screenshot.png

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 Chrysler,

Agreed, camera mount doesn't make sense but, I thought, perhaps the wiring or cables for some type of camera?  Just a guess.

JACK M,

These early coupes were not prone to buffeting.   Although the later C3 body 1968-1972 had a big issue with buffeting when the T tops were off and the rear window was removed.

joe_padavano

Funny you bring this up.  I was searching for that very picture last night.  I began thinking, rather than camera cables running through the tube, it made more sense if it was test equipment cables, exactly like a 5th wheel would have.  Nice find, Thanks!

42 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

joe_padavano

Funny you bring this up.  I was searching for that very picture last night.  I began thinking, rather than camera cables running through the tube, it made more sense if it was test equipment cables, exactly like a 5th wheel would have.  Nice find, Thanks!

Ironically, it appears that new ones use Bluetooth, so no wires. 😉

Screenshot_2021-03-13 Microsoft Word - Tracktest Fifth Wheel page1 doc - Labeco-Tracktest_Datasheet pdf.png

I had a 1964 Corvette Coupe (non air conditioned) with the optional rear area exhaust fan and duct which was, as I recall, mounted aft of the driver's seat in the "cargo" area.  I lived in Miami, Florida at the time (early '70s) and found the rear area exhaust blower to be quite effective at drawing air out the rear of the car and, coupled with the regular air inlets, it was quite effective at cooling the interior when driving at highway speeds with the windows up.  It even helped a bit when driving around town with the windows down. 

The rear exhaust blower was not available in the 1963 Corvette Coupe, and the 3 inch diameter duct may have been part of an experiment to exhaust hot stagnant air from the rear "cargo" area of the '63 Coupe.  The exhaust blower duct (1964 & 1965) exited from a grille located in the driver's side B-pillar, but the '63 coupe had no such grille opening in its B-pillars.  Perhaps, in an attempt to not mar the exterior body work of the original owner's new 'Vette, he chose to vent hot air through the floor of the "cargo" area, using an exhaust blower mounted in a box above the 3 inch diameter tube.

The rear "cargo" area exhaust blower and ducting system was discontinued for 1966.  Maybe factory-installed air conditioning had become more popular by that time.

Here is a link to some details of the "cargo" area exhaust fan system of the '64 and '65 Corvette Coupes:

file:///C:/Users/capngrog/AppData/Local/Temp/Mid-year%20coupe%20rear%20blower%20components-compr-1.pdf

I apologize in that I was unable to include a "live" link in my post, but if you copy the link and paste it to your browser, it opens up just fine.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

Cheers,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
add information about link (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capngrog said:

file:///C:/Users/capngrog/AppData/Local/Temp/Mid-year%20coupe%20rear%20blower%20components-compr-1.pdf

I apologize in that I was unable to include a "live" link in my post, but if you copy the link and paste it to your browser, it opens up just fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The "file:///C:/" in that URL refers to a file on YOUR computer. It opens fine for you because your browser is retrieving a file on the same computer. If you try that on a different computer, it doesn't work because the file it's looking for is on your private hard drive, not the internet. Too bad, because it sounds like an interesting setup.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The "file:///C:/" in that URL refers to a file on YOUR computer. It opens fine for you because your browser is retrieving a file on the same computer. If you try that on a different computer, it doesn't work because the file it's looking for is on your private hard drive, not the internet. Too bad, because it sounds like an interesting setup.

Try this (I hope it works):

Mid-year coupe rear blower components-compr.pdf

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 3

Was AstroVentilation a forced air (blower) system on Corvette? Know the other carlines used high pressure air from the cowl area. Some 69-71 cars had optional blowers for the upper level vents.

I remember thinking how cool 1968 GM cars were with "AstroVentilation" etched onto front door glass.

I also remember my parents grumbling there were no vent windows to draw their ever-present cigarette smoke out of the car.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, padgett said:

Interesting. That predates the "Astro-Ventilation" (1968) which resulted from the recall for exhaust leaks

Yes , but Chevrolet deleted that vent system starting in 65 or 66 stingray. The earlier cars did have it.

Best bet; have this posted on the NCRS site. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

On 3/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, rocketraider said:

Was AstroVentilation a forced air (blower) system on Corvette? Know the other carlines used high pressure air from the cowl area. Some 69-71 cars had optional blowers for the upper level vents.

I remember thinking how cool 1968 GM cars were with "AstroVentilation" etched onto front door glass.

I also remember my parents grumbling there were no vent windows to draw their ever-present cigarette smoke out of the car.

I asked my Dad what he thought of the "Astroventilation" on his then-new Chevy.  He kinda mispronounced "Astro" in his unfavorable reply