Replacing window on 34 Chevy Master coupe

Let the glass shop cut and re-install the glass into the channel. If your car uses a bottom channel with a lip seal you will need to take that to the shop and let them install it. Check Steel Rubber Products or the Filling Station for what you need.

• Thanks 1

The rubber stuff is called glass setting tape. It comes in different thickness and sometimes is a rubberized cork type material. The tape is evenly put over the bottom edge of the glass, often taped in a couple areas to hold it while the sash is driven onto the window with a rubber mallet. The glass is put on a rug covered flat bench for support with just the bottom edge overhanging so the sash can be driven on. To remove the sash, a sharp edged wood block is used to tap the sash off the window. The glass is put on the flat rugged bench the same way. I do new window glass in all the cars I do exactly like this. I just put new door glass in a 34’ chevy pickup.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

When the glass is set in the channel, look to how the other sides glass is set. Spacing in the channel could be of utmost importance or else you won’t have a proper seal. (Ask me how I know this.) The shop can do this too. I slid the glass up and in from below to get in into the fuzzy channel.

Edited by Steve9 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...