1936 Dodge D2 Coupe steering column problem

I need to rebuild my steering box because it's badly worn. Here's the problem. When I got my coupe back in '66, the previous owner had tried to hotrod it. He had removed the steering column and box and replaced it with a Dodge truck steering that mounted on the outside of the frame in order to clear the Olds Rocket engine he tried to install.  Taking it back to stock, I was not bright enough to try and find the original so I replaced it with one from a sedan at the wrecking yard where I found it.. Now I discover that the steering column and box for a coupe is DIFFERENT  from the sedan unit. The column I have seems to be about 2 1/2" longer than a couple of others I have acquired. Can anyone tell me what length the correct unit for a '36 Dodge D2 coupe is supposed to be? My parts interchange book only says it is different but of course no dimensions. 

I have a D2 Coupe so I measured my column which is in the car so its a bit awkward.  I measured the column from the steering box to the steering wheel and it is approx. 41 1/2".  You would have to add to that the portion of the column that slides into the steering box (about 1 inch or so) and the part that extends into the steering wheel (about another inch).  Hope this helps.    

Thanks so much for this richard m. That is indeed an awkward measurement to take. It looks as if the column that I had been using is the same length as yours. That is good news. Not sure what the other two units I have came from but possibly sedans. So now I need to take the longer one apart to see why there is so much play in the wheel. I bought a set of bushings and bearings and a replacement sector shaft but if the worm gear is badly worn I'm not sure how to proceed. Has anyone else had success in dealing with that issue? 

If I take one of the other steering boxes apart, and IF the worm gear is OK, I would still have to cut and splice the shaft to make it long enough.  Nothing is ever simple :(